Forums

Forums / Life Science / Mitosis and Meiosis manipulatives

Life Science

Mitosis and Meiosis manipulatives

Author Post
Michelle Harrison Michelle Harrison 655 Points

I am looking for anything you have tried that will help my kids get mitosis and meiosis. Manipulatives would be good since this years class seems to work better that way. Also if anyone has something they have used to reinforce the functions of the cell organelles. Thank you, Michelle Harrison Holly Grove Christian School

Angie Fairweather Angelika Fairweather 12180 Points

Michelle,
NSTA has so many fantastic resources for cell organelles and functions. I did a search for cell organelles, and selected NSTA collections and found collections for every age group. This is the link for the collecton for Cell Organelles for Middle Scool.
Good Luck!
Angie

Loren Nomura Loren Nomura 4055 Points

Maybe you could try doing a "memory" type of game with them where they match the picture with the actual stage that the cell is in. Refer to my attachment to get a better idea of what I mean. Basically students would form groups of 3-4 and the students take turns to reveal two cards (all other cards faced down). If the two cards they pick have a matching stage and picture, they can collect those cards and pick 2 more cards. If the cards don't match, the next student gets to go and so forth. This would encourage repetition and if the students are repeatedly exposed to the cell stages they hopefully would be able to grasp it, plus this is a more 'fun' way to help them learn rather than just straight teaching.

Attachments

Mrs Hawk Catherine Hawkins 2400 Points

Hi - those are some great ideas! Thanks for sharing -

Thank you for the flash cards. They are awesome and will be very useful in class. Michelle

Kayla Anselmi Kayla Anselmi 3400 Points

I love the flashcards! I think they will really help my students distinguish between mitosis and meiosis. I am printing small versions of them for my students to put in a pocket in their interactive science notebooks.

Nicole Dainty Nicole Dainty 4360 Points

NSTA has a resource called "Toothpick Chromosomes: Simple Manipulatives to Help Students Understand Genetics," which I found helpful. I've had students make Mitosis flip books, which has seemed to help. Here is a mitosis vs. meiosis animation: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/how-cells-divide.html Also lots of great resources on these topics here: http://teach.genetics.utah.edu/content/

Michelle Amorin Michelle Amorin 310 Points

I'm going to try the flashcards as well since that unit is coming up. Thanks, Loren. If your have the resources, you could have your students look at prepared slides of mitosis under the microscope which really gets the students engaged in trying to find each stage like "Where's Waldo". If you don't have the resources (like me), then I do this worksheet with them. I hope this helps.

Attachments

Loren Nomura Loren Nomura 4055 Points

I was going to say, the memory game goes kind of fast since there's only 24 different cards. When I did this game, I printed out 48 cards (2 of EACH card) and had them play it - that way you can have even more repetition and the game will actually last longer than 5 minutes, and it makes it more challenging for the students.

Michelle, Thank you for the great worksheet. I will use this. Loren, I also like your idea of having two sets of cards per team. I agree, One set is not enough in this case. Great Ideas, again Thank you. Michelle

Kathryn Kennedy Kathryn Kennedy 9055 Points

Hi Michelle - I realize that this post is a little late, but for next year you might want to use the meiosis modeling activity that I have in my Reproduction collection. If you have any questions about it, please let me know; I'd be happy to explain (or make changes to it!). I hope you found something good for your lesson. Cheers! Kathryn

Biology - Unit 5 Reproduction Collection (27 items)
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
Michelle Amorin Michelle Amorin 310 Points

Kathryn, I really appreciate you sharing your resources. I found the meiosis labeling homework very simple and useful for my students. I also really like your karyotyping worksheet because my course alike has been trying to find a good way to teach it and your worksheet does a good job of it. Thanks. I've also attached this karyotyping worksheet that is much more simple that my school uses.

Attachments

Kathryn, Thank you so much for sharing. We actually are just getting to this stage of learning. Your pages are awesome. Michelle

Michelle (of the great name), Thank you for sharing this. I will use it with my classes. Michelle

Robin Fujioka Robin 1390 Points

Kathryn: Thanks for sharing your Reproduction Unit with us. Awesome. Michelle: thanks for the karyotypes and chromosomes worksheet! I'm going to teach that unit next semester. Will definately be able to use your worksheet.

Nicole Weber Nicole Lofgren 2880 Points

This year I used chromosomes: twizzlers (chocolate and cherry) centromeres: gummy life savers spindle fibers: pull and peel twizzlers and i found some weird off brand of candy to that looked like flattened centrioles- just be creative They got the idea. and they were engaged because it involved candy.

Thanks Nicole, what a neat idea. Michelle

Katherine Willet Katherine Zimmerman 21340 Points

I haven't done this in a few years, but I am going to do it again this year. I had the students write "movies" explaining the differences between meiosis and mitosis using characters they already know. For example, many of the students used Harry Potter, and they would explain the two processes while incorporating te story of their choosing. I found it to be a good exercise for students to really analyze the two processes while using something very familiar to them.

I haven't done this in a few years, but I am going to do it again this year. I had the students write "movies" explaining the differences between meiosis and mitosis using characters they already know. For example, many of the students used Harry Potter, and they would explain the two processes while incorporating te story of their choosing. I found it to be a good exercise for students to really analyze the two processes while using something very familiar to them.

Kelly Amendola Kelly Amendola 10320 Points

The flashcards were great! I wish I saw them before I taught this lesson!

Lorrie Armfield Lorrie Armfield 51438 Points

Wow, you all have provided me with a plethora of resources and information. I am so very excited and looking forward to teaching this unit in the spring. I had an opportunity to view the meiosis/mitosis flash cards; great resource. Thanks for sharing.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers