Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Using Board Games to Teach Science

General Science and Teaching

Using Board Games to Teach Science

Author Post
Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

My chemistry class uses the Active Chemistry curriculum. During the first nine weeks, they are required to develop a board game that helps them learn some aspect of the periodic table. They have some very creative ideas.

Misty Richmond Misty Richmond 2410 Points

I love playing games in my science class. I have often used an online template for a class game of Jeopardy as a final unit review before the unit exam. There are also online templates for Hollywood Squares, Who Wants to be a Millionaire to name a few. I recently made a template for Taboo cards with my students also. As soon as I get more savvy and can add those links to my library I would be willing to share the games I have created. My district supports Ivestigating Earth Systems Curriculum published by AGI and so if anyone uses this curriculum in particular they might be really interested.

I figured out how to upload the Jeopardy game template. More game templates to follow soon. It is a powerpoint and pretty easy to use. If you have a SMARTBoard in class it is even better, trust me :)

Attachments

I figured out how to upload the Jeopardy game template. More game templates to follow soon. It is a powerpoint and pretty easy to use. If you have a SMARTBoard in class it is even better, trust me :)

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Thank you so much for the Jeopardy ppt template, Misty. It is much more sophisticated than the one that I had been using. I look forward to getting some others! I have used games as a form of summative assessment in my middle school science classes. For example, when we completed a wetlands unit in seventh grade, we allowed students several options to demonstrate their competence in the subject matter. Creating a game was one of their options. Many students came up with wonderful, creative, fun games filled with excellent facts and interesting tidbits! Carolyn

So glad you will be able to use it Carolyn!! I often wondered if students would be able to make their own games. Did you give them criteria or did they just go for it with their game creation?

Rachel Engle Rachel Engle 1575 Points

I love using games of any kinds with my students. It's a great way to get them to learn without them realizing that they are learning!

Judith Lucas-Odom Judith Lucas-Odom 23340 Points

Misty, this is a great template and thank you for uploading it. I just took a free web seminar course and I am exploring and learning! Thanks again Judith Lucas-Odom

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

When I was still in the classroom I used a commercial science jeopardy game that was distributed by lakeshore. There are two editions. One for Grades 1-3 and one for grades 4-6. Here is the link: Grades1-3

Grade 4-6.

I was lucky enough to win this at an NSTA conference and I still have it even though I am not in the classroom. I just couldn't let it go. The students loved it for review. When I neede another category, I just created it and added it to the game.

LeRoy Attles LeRoy Attles 56535 Points

Thanks Misty for the Game template this is great!!!

Demi Andrews Demi Andrews 685 Points

My cooperating teacher always uses file folder games for stations. The kids are always so excited to play and don't even realize they're learning. Great resource!

Angela West Angela West 785 Points

I agree games are a great supplement to any lesson. You can help students learn without even realizing they are being educated. I know from personal experience with my own children that when using the right types of games you can help instill information while having fun. Children want to win the game so they learn the steps needed to achieve this goal. You do have to make sure that the game is actually teaching the student what you want to be taught but with the wide array of games you can create yourself along with what is already out there this should not be difficult.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers