Forums

General Science and Teaching

NSTA Daily Do!

Author Post
Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Teachers and families across the country are facing a new reality of providing opportunities for students to do science through distance and home learning. The Daily Do is one of the ways NSTA is supporting teachers and families with this endeavor.

Each weekday, NSTA will share a sensemaking task teachers and families can use to engage their students in authentic, relevant science learning. We encourage families to make time for family science learning (science is a social process!) and are dedicated to helping students and their families find balance between learning science and the day-to-day responsibilities they have to stay healthy and safe.

Each Daily Do has a collection of resources (most free) that you can use at home or in your classroom.

Use this discussion thread to share your impressions, questions, and ideas about NSTA's Daily Do and how you are using them with your family and students. 

See All NSTA Daily Do

Billie Davis Billie Davis 1115 Points

Just introduced to the Daily Do's in the orientation, this is a great resource!

Elizabeth Ricke Elizabeth Ricke 343 Points

As a future educator, NSTA's Daily Do looks like a great resource to utilize inside and outside of the classroom. Looking through some of the different lessons I really like the worksheets that are attached along with how some lessons are broken into parts. The NSTA's Daily Do options look like a great way to have parents become involved in the classroom and with their children. Thanks for sharing this page; I'm definitely going to use the NSTA's Daily Do! 

Hunter Harmon Hunter Harmon 620 Points

This seems like a great resource!

Keylla Lara Keylla Lara 550 Points

Reading thru the NSTA Daily Do's gave me so many ideas about how I could implement some science into my kid’s daily routine. Both of my sons Science class were cancelled halfway thru the year because there was just not enough time to teach the other subjects, be able to teach online and in-class students at the same time. All last year we were faced with obstacles that required to make changes in the way our children were getting educated. Implementing the Daily Do’s ideas will allow my own kids and future students to experience fun experiments and topics about science.

Jennifer Bryant Jennifer Bryant 1890 Points

As a future teacher looking through Daily Do, it seems to be a great resource students. It can be used by students to learn concepts at home with their family. It is nice that everything is written out and the questions are given to help through investigations. 

Amanda Robin amanda robin 1395 Points

I love these and they are great to use during this time of teaching online.

Ashtin Schnell Ashtin Schnell 1820 Points

I loved reading through all of these daily do's. I will be sure to implement these into my classroom. 

Maria Creighton Maria Creighton 2105 Points

The NSTA's Daily Do resource is a resource that I discovered last week that the lessons are engaging for elementary students. More importantly, the lesson plan was easy to implement because the resources were readily available using materials that I already had, questions to guide students thinking as they develop a plan to understand the phenomena, and the scientific background knowledge that I am trying to teach students. For example, this week taught the Daily Do lesson titled 'Condensation' to my fourth-graders students. As I paused the phenomena video for my students, they were intrigued by watching how a cup of ice water changed due to the condensation. The more they discussed the phenomena and listened to their theories when I realized that my students thought that the water on the outside of the cup came from inside the glass. In the years past, I have shown my students a glass of water and explained the definition of condensation. Still, my students really only memorized the definition and did not understand the phenomena. Having my students watch and pause the video generated their discourse and wonderment. Finally, the lesson plan allowed me to facilitate a way for my students to plan an investigation that helped them understand the phenomena. Consequently, adding red food coloring in the glass of ice water than using saran wrap to 'trap the water from escaping the glass.' My students' words were able to prove that the condensation was not from the water inside the glass. 

I will definitely continue to use the weekly Daily Do lessons as a resource to guide my students to try to understand and experience the scientific concepts being taught.

Lauren Stafford Lauren Stafford 210 Points

I loved reading through these Daily Dos! I can't wait to implement these into my classroom!

Alyssa Bowman Alyssa Bowman 270 Points

As a future teacher, this seems like such a great resource our students. I foresee this being a great introductory activity each day to focus the students attention on science and get them ready to learn! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers