Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Great Apps to Show What Students are Learning

Elementary Science

Great Apps to Show What Students are Learning

Author Post
Yoli Gonzales Yoli Gonzales 2165 Points

I discovered a couple of apps over the Thanksgiving break that might add to your classroom instruction and give students another way to demonstrate their work. EDpuzzle.com: Ever showed a video and had to pause and check for understanding; well this app helps you take any video, edit it, leave out ads, and pose questions or create a test about the video. Students are prompted to use the response box to record their answers. You get to quickly find out what students know--it grades and gives you a graph of class progress. Check it out and let me know what you think. I just started using it and haven't had any problems, yet. Storybird.com: Have students create a story about what they are learning. This app gives them lots of options to write and illustrate the things they are learning in science. Storyboard That. com: Another tool for students to share what they are learning. This app also teaches students how to use a storyboard to organize their ideas. Padlet.com: Of course Padlet.com is a must; especially when you want kids to record what they are doing at the moment. Then, share your padlet with other teachers or parents so they will know what students are doing in class. Enjoy and let me know how it works for you.

Samantha Coyle Samantha Coyle 2245 Points

These all sound really great and I can't wait to try them out. Sadly, they sound like they may be more designed for older students. Also, I am glad to see they are website and not apps like you referred to them as. Makes them more accessible in the classroom(:

Kris Hernandez Kris Hernandez 8410 Points

Thank you for these resources. I really enjoy tying in technology into my classroom. I feel that students now a days relate well to lessons that include some sort of technology. I can't wait to look into all these sources! Kris

Nicole Woznicki Nicole Woznicki 3145 Points

Yoli, Hello, Thank you for these great resources! I went ahead and bookmarked them. I cannot wait to use them in my future classroom.

C C Carolyne Cohen 460 Points

These are great! Thank you! I'll definitely be trying some of these out to see which works best for my students. The Storybird app sounds interesting and could be very useful in getting students to reflect and think metacognitively. Thanks!

Christa Cawley Christa Cawley 475 Points

These are amazing resources for an elementary school teacher. I think I would particularly use the ED Puzzle one. I like that students are able to pause throughout learning videos and analyze the material. The idea that it creates a quiz for you too makes it easier to assess student learning. I also like the idea of Padlet because it is good for parents to stay involved and engaged in their child's learning, and this would make that easier. Thank you so much for sharing!

Yoli Gonzales Yoli Gonzales 2165 Points

Another good app is: Google Forms - which helps teachers create formative assessments and grade them, too. If you add Flubaroo, another app, it gives you another level of grading detail that I think very useful and informative.

Katherine T Katherine 1940 Points

I've used storybird in the past and I absolutely loved it! It is such a great resource that can be used to integrate science and language arts. Thanks for sharing these great resources. I'm going to look into the other ones you mentioned!

Lucerito Gutierrez Lucerito Gutierrez 2445 Points

I found Ed puzzle and Story bird to be great resources. I'm looking forward to checking out the others. Thank you for sharing!

Kristi Brockschmidt Kristi Brockschmidt 2440 Points

Thanks for your post! This is very timely! I'm hoping to have students create some type of 'story' at the end of our sound lesson.

Louis Aceituno Louis Aceituno 5435 Points

Thank you for sharing, I will definitely be exploring these tech tools. Is there one specifically that has an advantage over the others?

Cynthia Nguyen Cynthia Nguyen 2650 Points

Thank you so much for sharing those amazing websites! They are great ways for students to express themselves creativity, in particular, perhaps older students. However, teachers can also use these websites to integrate technology and other subject areas, such as English Language Arts, into the classroom! I am especially excited to use Storybird because I love the storytelling aspect of it.

Cris DeWolf Cris DeWolf 11965 Points

I've used Google forms to do assessment in the past, having to grade them myself. Seeing the post about Flubaroo here was great. I'm going to try that and revisit the use of Google forms. Thanks!

Marci McGlin Marci McGlin 375 Points

Thank you for sharing! I believe anytime we can incorporate technology into the classroom is great. Students are so technology driven that they are probably more tech-savvy than I am. I think technology is a great motivator for students. But there are some risks if it is not managed properly. I'm excited to check out these apps!!

Zaira Trevino zaira trevino 1255 Points

Thanks for sharing these. They seem very interesting and are great for integrating technology in the classroom.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers