Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Tips for teaching a subject you're not interested in?

General Science and Teaching

Tips for teaching a subject you're not interested in?

Author Post
Carla Bermudez Carla Bermudez 390 Points

Hi! I'm currently majoring in elementary education. Science has always been unintersting to me and it isn't really something I look forward to teaching. What are some tips on how to find engaging and intersting lessons that will not only make my students want to learn about science, but help me as well? I'm worried that I won't be great at teaching science in the classroom if I have no interest in it. 

Matt Bobrowsky Matt Bobrowsky 6410 Points

Great question, Carla! I'm sorry to hear that you weren't taught science in a way that made it interesting. Real science is very exciting. It's a process of exploration and discovery!

One way that the fun is sucked out of science is by (incorrectly) teaching a five- or seven-step 'scientific method,' which makes science seem much more cookbook and uncreative compared to the very creative and exciting process that it is. In short, that 'scientific method' stifles creativity, it’s not like what most scientists do, and it omits important aspects of science, including careful observation, collaboration, finding out what's already known, creating models, and arguing from evidence.

Science is a process for learning. Show students some interesting phenomenon, and have them discuss and investigate what's going on. This is the basis of Phenomenon-Based Learning, where students are motivated to learn through their own curiosity. See:

https://my.nsta.org/resource/115143/science-101-how-can-i-make-science-fun-and-have-students-learn-more-by-using-phe

And definitely look at Berkley's Understanding Science website. It is excellent.

http://undsci.berkeley.edu

There are teacher resources for all grade levels.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers