Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Grants for Teachers

General Science and Teaching

Grants for Teachers

Author Post
LeRoy Attles LeRoy Attles 56535 Points

Hello everyone. I was wondering anyone knew of any grants opportunities for teachers. I know there is the toyota tapestry grant but I was wondering if anyone knew of any others. Thanks

Elizabeth Dalzell-Wagers Elizabeth Dalzell 9945 Points

LeRoy -

Where do you live? There is an awesome grant fromQwest Teachers and Technology,for technology! Up to $10,000. They only service particular states. I included the website below.

Thanks
Liz

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

HI Leroy, What a great topic! There are lots of grants out there...try Toyota Tapestry http://nsta.org/pd/tapestry/?lid=tnavhp Others that come to mind are Toshiba Foundation Captain Planet WalMart Home Depot Also try your state; our state has an environmental grant that teachers can apply for. The web site Grants4teachers http://www.grants4teachers.com/ is another good resource. Best of luck to you on writing a winning proposal!

Thanks Liz and Patricia so much for the resources. I live in Georgia so I will not be able to take advantage of the Qwest grant. However, I will look at the Grant Site for Teachers. THanks for your help

Susanne Hokkanen Susanne Hokkanen 79520 Points

Check out the webseminar offerings for other ideas. I noticed that on Feb. 10, there is a webseminar on the Toyota Tapestry Grant. Hopefully this link will work: http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9/WSTOY11_Feb10 If not, go to "Learning Resources and Opportunities" and click on Webseminars. Then click to "register." The webseminars are a great way to hear first hand what you need to know, do, and present to be successful. I have attached an archived webseminar on the Toyota Grant. I also just participated in the Web Seminar: "How to Avoid Disqualification in ExploraVision? January 12, 2011." This webseminar should be archived soon. Good luck! Sue

Sandy Gady Sandra Gady 43175 Points

I would encourage you as well to look at some possibilities within your local sector. I've found great success with the Retired Teachers Associations, Masonic Lodges, Granges, Credit Unions, Energy companies ... You would be surprised how many of these folks will fund a project you have in mind that happens to be a passion of theirs. Last year I ended up with close to $7,000 just through these sources and wasn't having to necessarily compete with anybody else for the money. The organizations liked what I wanted to do, so they just gave me the money. It's really cool when you can put together a thank you in the form of digital photos set to music created through Windows Movie Maker and then giving them a CD as a thank you. Most of these folks contacted me at the beginning of the year asking if they could give me more money.

Thanks Sandra for the tip. I will definitely keep my eyes open for what is available locally.

Misty Richmond Misty Richmond 2410 Points

Not sure if you are familiar with www.donorschoose.org, but it is a nationwide resource that allows you to write multiple grants at one time and have them funded by private and company donors. Every once in a while they will offer a match grant for math/science/tech grants. Just be creative with your label and you can usually qualify for any of these.

Ronaldo Relador Ronaldo Relador 45315 Points

Thanks Misty for sharing this website www.donorschoose.org; this may help.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers