Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Newton's Laws

Early Childhood

Newton's Laws

Author Post
Sheila Falgout Sheila Falgout 900 Points

Our 2nd graders are about to start a unit on energy and motion. I would like to introduce them to Newton's Laws. This is a very complex topic and I don't want to "dumb it down" but I do want to teach it to them at their level to prevent boredom and frustration. I would love to know if others have done this - successfully or not - and what you did. Thanks :)

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

In the November 2014 issue of Science & Children there is a great article "Teaching through Trade Books: What Goes Up Must Come Down!" that discusses a book for grades K-2. The title is Newton and Me by Lynne Mayer. It looks like it would help you. There is also a lesson plan in the article that is excellent. Go for it!!

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

In the November 2014 issue of Science & Children there is a great article "Teaching through Trade Books: What Goes Up Must Come Down!" that discusses a book for grades K-2. The title is Newton and Me by Lynne Mayer. It looks like it would help you. There is also a lesson plan in the article that is excellent. Go for it!!

Lauren Bonnet Lauren Bonnet 16070 Points

I am doing a two week project on that topic in a fun way. The topic will mainly talk about golf and the different aspects it entails. One example is the swing and force needed to swing the club to hit the ball. There are a number of journals on here that discuss Newton's Laws. I attached my collection to my golf lesson so that you could take a look at the Newton articles. I got some great ideas and learned a thing or two!

Sheila Falgout Sheila Falgout 900 Points

Thank you so much, Betty! I was unaware of the publication Science and Children until you suggested it in your post. I look forward to reading the article you pointed-out as well as other editions of the journal. Thanks again!

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10963 Points

See the Next Generation Science Standards Kindergarten performance expectations,K.Forces and Interactions: Pushes and Pulls http://www.nextgenscience.org/kfi-forces-interactions-pushes-pulls You might also find A Framework for K-12 Science Education useful, http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13165 It's a free download. Physical Sciences starts on page 103, Motion and Stability: Forces and Interactions on page 113. Peggy

Claire Prejean Claire Prejean 760 Points

Great resource!

Diana Flores Diana Flores 335 Points

Thank you this was a helpful resource that helped me explained the informatin to one of my sudents I tutor too.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers