Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Best science lesson

General Science and Teaching

Best science lesson

Author Post
Melissa Boan melissa boan 595 Points

I am wondering from experienced science teachers what their best or favorite science lessons are. What works best with the students?

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Melissa, Have you used the "Advanced Search" option found in the Learning Center. It helps me find resources (often labs or activities) that I can use for the topic that I will be teaching next. To use this option: 1) go to the Tab: Learning Resources & Opportunities" at the top of the screen. 2) find the "Search on the left hand side of the screen 3) type in the "Keyword" the topic that you are looking for [example: Moon}, scroll down to Type of Learning Resource" and select "User Created Collection", then hit search. You have now hit the jackpot! There will be dozens of collections that other teachers have already searched for in the topic that you are looking for. You can glance over all of the resources that have been gathered for this topic. [They are usually identified for use at specific grade levels.] There will be a lot of resources related to your topic search that you do not want. That is fine, because there will be lots of resources that you do want. This will save you a lot of time and effort and allow you to select only what you are interested in without having to go through each type of resource on your own to find relevant topics. There are excellent activities, strategies, and investigations found in these collections.

Lori Hoke lori hoke 280 Points

I love using a SMART board on food webs. I let the students pick one ecosystem and select a large variety of plants and animals that would live in that ecosystem. Then I let them take turns taking a producer and let that student connect one line through the web to the largest and last consumer. When we are done we have a pretty good complex food web. Then we discuss what happens when one consumer or one producer disappears or when man messes with nature - ie pollution, construction, agriculture, hunting.

Elizabeth Cooke Elizabeth Cooke 7245 Points

Discussing polymers and creating super bouncy balls is a big hit with the students. Also testing the acidity of candy using cabbage juice as an indicator goes over well with the students. I am now adding investigation centers to my repertoire.

Carlos Castillo CARLOS CASTILLO 720 Points

i like the facts that those activities create an engaging environment in the classroom.

Kathy Jenkins Kathy Jenkins 885 Points

How will you manage these investigation centers? This really sounds like something I'd like to try since I'm in a non-lab classroom this year looking for new ideas for next year.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

I let the students use those during their free time on completion of assignments.

Iris Lee Iris Lee 150 Points

I love the gizmos and gadgets books from NSTA Press using Phenomenon Based Learning. The kids really get into the lessons and learn a lot from each other.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers