Forums

Forums / Physical Science / Teaching physics equations

Physical Science

Teaching physics equations

Author Post
Sharon Chern Sharon Chern 2640 Points

Any veteran physics teachers out there with tips and tricks to share on teaching students how to solve basic physics equations (including variables, symbols, units, how to look for variables to determine what equations to use) etc. for mathematically challenged high school students? I have students who have trouble distinguishing different meaning of "m" ex: 100m (they read it as 100 mass) and m = 20kg (they ask "why is meters 20kg?"), students who read F = m x a literally as "M,X,A", students who ask "how to take half of a number on a calculator" etc. Any ideas would be much appreciated. All students are required to take some form of physics regardless of level of math ability in our school.

Chris Leverington Chris Leverington 4035 Points

What grade is this?

Daniel Carroll Dan Carroll 18610 Points

Those are all interesting points. I am not sure you can get around some of it. I think this results from too much reliance on the idea that physics is the equation. We say things like "plug n chug". I do not think I have the answers, but as much as possible to encourage students to look at the situation and use their reasoning skills to figure out what is being asked. Also, stay positive. If by the end of the day you are frustrated that you have heard that question 10 times, realize that there were probably only 2 students per class which is pretty good. Or convince yourself that those are intriguing questions and try to think of what level of reasoning is behind them.

Daniel Carroll Dan Carroll 18610 Points

The Hewitt stuff is good. Yes math is important, but not the most important. Concentrate on the general mathematical principles instead of the equation. Like: acceleration gets bigger if there is a larger force acting or smaller if the same force acts on a larger mass. Also, getting confused about the units is not a strange thing. Try writing out the words for at least a little while. Mass for mass and meters for meters. After you make them write kilograms and meters a whole bunch of times they will be thrilled to figure out abbreviated versions. Or you could jus switch your own so you always write out the units and use bbreviations for variables.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Chris - this is an ESL class, 14-15 year old, mostly pacific islanders, newcomers to the USA. They are a great bunch of kids but needing catchup in many academic areas. Yes our school does use the Conceptual physics textbook but reading is out of the question for them so I have to teach using easy words since most of the physics vocabularies do not have exact equivalents in their native languages. They do understand, conceptually. Maybe I should re-write the equations using easy vocabulary too? mass x velocity -> how heavy x how fast? I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

Sarah Henley Sarah Henley 905 Points

Hi Sharon-
I also have a number of ELL students in my class who struggle with the language, and most of my other students also struggle with math (in particular the algebra). It can be very challenging, and is certainly not something I have mastered just yet. I think that writing the equations with more common vocabulary is a great idea. I also find it helpful to use simple, concrete examples. For example, when I go over F=ma, I talk about the force of a hummer (more mass) vs. the force of a motorcycle (small mass) accelerating at the same rate. There's actually a neat little simulator for acceleration and velocity here: http://www.fearofphysics.com/Xva/xva.html that gives a very good visual representation of different types of motion.
As a tool for keeping track of the variables, I make my students keep a graphic organizer/chart where they have to write down the name of the variable and the abbreviation, the unit used to measure it and abbreviation, equations that use the variable, and a example or drawing of what it is. Whenever I introduce a new equation, they have to write down the any new variable in the chart. They keep the chart in their notebooks at all times, so whenever they forget what something means, I have them check the chart to see if they can find it and figure it out. It really helps.

Chris Leverington Chris Leverington 4035 Points

I have more trouble with 1) units and 2) using the appropriate formula. My students really struggle with what the unit should be or making sure of unit agreement. For example, what is the force acting on a 1200g rock accelerating at 5m/s. They always forget to change it to 12kg. I also have trouble with kids just throwing the numbers into an equation. If I have a problem like: what was the acceleration rate of a car that traveled 300m in 10 seconds...they will somehow put that into Vf-Vi/t instead of a = 2d/t^2. I make the students keep a formula list, but I like the idea of the chart that was mentioned above...that would probably work much better than just the formula list.

Eric Carlson Eric Carlson 30050 Points

I've thought about drilling students with issues like these in a sort of "track and field" approach. My idea is to create a series of drill questions and give them five minutes or so to solve it. They will have full access to notes, the book, and any other resources except asking a person. There will be more than can solve in five minutes, so the idea here is to reward students for progress and beating their personal best. As students get more and more confident with the material, they won't have to refer to other resources, and the speed will take off dramatically. I'll let you know how it goes once I implement it, but any of you are certainly welcome to take my idea and run with it.

Sarah I'm going to try the graphic organizer idea. Tina: you're right, manipulatives may help me teach basic algebra skills. Which middle school conceptual physics book are you using? I also tried out a focused practice where students get a page of word problems, highlight different units in different (assigned) colors, and write the variable underneath each unit (highlight kg in red, underneath, write "mass"). They then see which variables are given, and then find an appropriate equation from a list. Mixed results. Some kids remain confused, some did worse, a few totally "got" it after the exercise.

Adah - yes my students do love sports, especially basketball. Next year I might try teaching freefall in the Basketball court to better engage some of the students! I would also like to report back on using words instead of symbols in teaching physics equations. It has really worked well. As for units, I've been using words as well (e.g. 2 kilograms), but have mixed in symbols from time to time.

Joanna Kobayashi Joanna Kobayashi 490 Points

I teach a Basic Physics class to 9th graders and they often have issues with v=d/t and f=ma equations. To help bring real world relevance to my unit on kinematics, I showed this small clip from a Taken 2, a movie currently out in theaters. In the clip, the main character teachers his daughter how to locate him by using the speed of sound and the time it takes for sound to travel to him. My students loved it! The link can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG8odAaBIUA

Vanessa Cannon Vanessa Cannon 1660 Points

I've got very similar issues and demographics as you do Sharon. I thank you very much for posting this topic. It's applicable to me. We are using Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science book and it has less math than even the physics one does. But it really does hang them up. I've tried to emphasize the units and have them do the equations by the units such as a Newton(N) and the relation the components of the formula (m)(a) with kgs/m2. For some it clicks for others I'm still searching but am looking forward to trying some of the options put forth here. Thank you!

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Sharon, I think you are on the right track when you are using the assigned colors and writing the variables underneath. If the color remains consistent throughout each problem they are solving, that will help them keep track of what is what. No matter who you are teaching this to, it is difficult for all students to understand with any one method. This is one of those concepts you keep teaching over and over, knowing that with each exposure students understand it a little bit more. You have a lot of really good ideas throughout the thread to build on. I will be excited to hear how it goes.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

I came across some very nice online graphing activities that connect equations to their real world meanings. http://concord.org/activities/projects/smartgraphs

Ryan Matsumoto Ryan Matsumoto 1060 Points

My students also are lacking basic math skills to complete complex math problems. However (as mentioned earlier) I try to concentrate on the broad ideas when it comes to formulas. Such as how one variable effect the overall formula (e.g. how does increasing or decreasing mass affect the overall force). Best way to show the effects of changing variables are through demonstrations and labs. The best part of teaching physics is playing with toys! The one thing I love about physics is how it can be used to strengthen math skills. There are many days when I am finding myself teaching basic algebra. One site that I allow my students to use is: http://www.wolframalpha.com/ This site allows you to type in the exact equation and get the answer. Of course, I only allow them to use this resource to check answers, but for my students, it seems to motivate them to strive for the right answer.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Ryan I applaud your effort in integrating algebra into your physics class. What I find is that students have often become good symbol manipulators but have little understanding as to the use of math to model physical processes. For example they may be able to use a formula to calculate as slope and not understand that the slope is a measure of the rate of change. Math needs to be connected to applications to give it meaning and sticking power. Pam

Euvelyn Calma Euvelyn Calma 495 Points

I am glad that I am not the only teacher with this type of problem :) I have been struggling with this obstacle for the past year. I learned that consistency is the key! I referred to nmemonics (KHDBDCM- king henry died by drinking chocolate milk) everytime we talk about units. I always emphasize units versus values so I would say something like, "If I wrote out your paycheck as $999.00 versus 999.00miles would both values be the same?" I'm just throwing up values but I would provide some drastic example for them to see how identifying units and values are so different. This normally prompts my students to think about their answers and what they say. They should be questioning themselves, does it makes sense to have mass as a unit? Then they would go back to their nmenomic and remember that the "B" was for base unit: g,m,l. Lots of thinking required but practice and consistency with a lot of reminder is my strategy.

Melissa Montoya Melissa Montoya 265 Points

I am in the same boat. I currently teach 5 basic physics classes, which are inclusion classes. My students are ELL and SPED. Math is very low abroad the community, so it is especially difficult to teach physics to the students. Because I am a recent graduate of an education program, I have Common Core on my mind because that is how I was trained. Because of Common Core, I have a HIGH FOCUS on word problems and problem-solving skills. I try to combine a lab with calculations to word problems as much as possible, but sometimes time does not permit. I do focus on steps of a word problem for them to think about: 1. What are we given? Turn it into a variable. 2. What do we want to find as the solution to the problem? Turn it into a variable. 3. What equation is relevant to what we are given and the solution? Solve for the solution variable. For SPED and ELL, I have found the steps help them a lot to think through. I find them asking themselves the questions and going through the process. When going through variables, I also repeat the question of "what is the UNIT for the VARIABLE?" Simplicity and physics does not go hand-in-hand, but just try to make is in simple terms, especially for students that do not like math. :)

Jason Ward Jason Ward 1010 Points

I always use 4 steps 1) State what you are given 2) Write the equation needed to solve [problem 3) Replace variable with known numbers 4) Solve for unknown variable It can help to actually write, step 1, step 2 etc. before each step so the kids see the process. I have also found it helps to have the students underline any quantities in a word problem to help them identify what is important. jason

Joanna Kobayashi Joanna Kobayashi 490 Points

To add to Jason's last post...see the attached. The Physics First curriculum emphasizes the use of these problem solving boxes. I find that if students can identify each variable 1st, then they are more likely to understand the equation.

Attachments

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers