Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / So, What is On Your Wish List?

General Science and Teaching

So, What is On Your Wish List?

Author Post
Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

So, I just came back from the Northwest Computer Council for Educators, NCCE, conference and was somewhat relieved to find out that yes, I really do own all the technology. Now, it’s just a matter of learning how to use it well - and yes, I am laughing. While there though, there was an exhibitor that had the coolest robot I’ve ever seen. It’s about the size of a toddler, 23” and weighs about the same. It was fascinating. A wonderful link to a Youtube video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSKRgasUEko. It got me to thinking, what would be on your wish list? Doesn’t have to be technology or curriculum specific, just what has caught your fancy?

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

I really want to get some Vernier sensors so I can have my A & P class conduct some true physiology experiments. A couple of years ago we invested in some sensors for my physics class. It made all the difference in the world with my students experimental results.

I am on spring break and finally got a chance to play with one of my birthday presents and is it ever cool! I received a Pandigital Handheld Wand Scanner with Feeder Dock. So far, it easily outperforms all of the other scanners I have ever used or owned. With that being said, there are several places to purchase the scanner as a wand, but what makes it so successful for me was the docking station. Looking at reviews, others are struggling using the wand and getting it to scan correctly. Mine was obtained from QVC, the price was about $120. I have not tried the scanner with the wand only. I am using it to scan hundreds of photos of my niece through the years to make a scrapbook for her high school graduation. The scanner gives you two option in resolution 300 and 600 dpi, as well as .jpg or .pdf for saved files. I am going to purchase a couple of other to take into my classroom for students to use to scan their posters, 8 ½ x 11 size, photos to use in Photostory 3, etc. I am interested to see if others have found any other hand/wand scanners that are compact that work really well.

I am on spring break and finally got a chance to play with one of my birthday presents and is it ever cool! I received a Pandigital Handheld Wand Scanner with Feeder Dock. So far, it easily outperforms all of the other scanners I have ever used or owned. With that being said, there are several places to purchase the scanner as a wand, but what makes it so successful for me was the docking station. Looking at reviews, others are struggling using the wand and getting it to scan correctly. Mine was obtained from QVC, the price was about $120. I have not tried the scanner with the wand only. I am using it to scan hundreds of photos of my niece through the years to make a scrapbook for her high school graduation. The scanner gives you two option in resolution 300 and 600 dpi, as well as .jpg or .pdf for saved files. I am going to purchase a couple of other to take into my classroom for students to use to scan their posters, 8 ½ x 11 size, photos to use in Photostory 3, etc. I am interested to see if others have found any other hand/wand scanners that are compact that work really well.

Colby Kagawa Colby Kagawa 490 Points

I would like to have a classroom that is separate from the shop, renovate the tractor shed and shade house because they are older than me, and a smart board would be nice. I am probably one of the few teachers in the state that still has a chalkboard. But, the number 1 thing on my wish list is for all my students to bring paper and pencil to class. In my 5 years teaching, I have not had 1 class where every student brings their own paper and pencil to class.

Doris Padilla Doris Padilla 3345 Points

So, I just came back from the Northwest Computer Council for Educators, NCCE, conference and was somewhat relieved to find out that yes, I really do own all the technology. Now, it’s just a matter of learning how to use it well - and yes, I am laughing. While there though, there was an exhibitor that had the coolest robot I’ve ever seen. It’s about the size of a toddler, 23” and weighs about the same. It was fascinating. A wonderful link to a Youtube video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSKRgasUEko. It got me to thinking, what would be on your wish list? Doesn’t have to be technology or curriculum specific, just what has caught your fancy? As a future teacher, I would love for my students to have an IPAD because they have great science apps. These apps are very great and fun for students. Students will enjoy using these apps because they are easy and fun to use. A lot of the apps are games or include a small quiz at the end. Some great science apps are: star walk, 3D brain, solar walk 3D, and iLearn Solar System.

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

Hi Doris, I agree that the robot is pretty cool! What is the robot supposed to be able to do in terms of helping students learn?

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

Hi Doris, I agree that the robot is pretty cool! What is the robot supposed to be able to do in terms of helping students learn?

Patty, from what I can tell, it’s a programming tool. Students write code for it to do what you want it to do. Because of its incredible flexibility, students have to think beyond the basic lego type programming to make it do all it can within its range of motion. A more in depth explanation from the company website, http://www.aldebaran-robotics.com/en/Solutions/For-Education/introduction.html is: “Why teach with robots? Robotics is one of the latest technological innovations, and a humanoid robot is an ideal learning tool for classes at all levels. Robots allow students to connect theory with practice and discover a wide range of robotics-related fields, such as computer science, engineering, and mathematics. Students gain hands-on experience using NAO, and, when used in the lab, they discover exciting topics such as locomotion, grasping, audio and video signal processing, voice recognition, and much more. NAO also allows teachers to integrate team work, project management, problem solving, and communication skills in a stimulating setting. NAO offers the flexibility for developing interdisciplinary projects.” And it comes in a rainbow of colors.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers