Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Freezing days fun with bubbles

Elementary Science

Freezing days fun with bubbles

Author Post
Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

What a wonderful idea!! I will try this with my grandson!! Thanks Arlene.

Sheila Falgout Sheila Falgout 900 Points

What a great idea! We do have a few days in Atlanta when the temperature gets this low, so I will try this next winter. Thanks for sharing!

Kasey Tudor Kasey Tudor 1655 Points

This looks like it would be fun! I would love to try it out!

Danielle Combs Danielle Combs 1785 Points

I think that would be great!!!

Mariana Morales Mariana Morales 885 Points

That seems like a great experiment for students. This will keep the students engaged as well as having them venture outside of the classroom. I plan to to try this in the future when I become a teacher. I found a link about the experiment and what materials you would need to do this. I do have a question if anyone can answer for me. When doing this experiment how would you implement classroom management? http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-make-frozen-soap-bubbles-198735 http://sciencemadefun.net/blog/its-freezing-outside-time-for-some-fun/

Cinthia Rodriguez Cinthia Rodriguez 4505 Points

Thank you for the websites, this experiment seems so much fun to do.

Charlene Brocke Charlene 1825 Points

Thanks for the websites! The pictures are amazing! Want to try it myself...if it will get that cold this winter.

Barbara Villarnovo Barbara Villarnovo 2955 Points

Wow, I never would have thought of doing this! Too bad in south Texas we don't get many freezing temperatures! I wonder if there would be an alternative way of freezing the bubbles and observing them such as in a freezer??

Karen Mahoney Karen Mahoney 40 Points

For those of us in the Northeast, this is a great idea. Not only will it give some insight into the changing properties of substances (liquid to solid), but it will get the kids outside and into the fresh air. I will definitely dig out my old bubbles for this.

Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 37148 Points

Wendy, Your mind went in the same direction as mine.I think it is a wonderful activity but in NGSS we are trying to move beyond isolated experiments.I,too, was wondering about properties of matter. I was thinking it might have a place in a instructional sequence ( a series of coherent lessons)either in grade 2 or grade 5. When planning I always start with the standard,so here is a performance expectations for [b]Grade 2 Structure and properties of Matter [/b] Plan and conduct an investigation to describe and classify different kinds of materials by their observable properties. 2-PS1-1 I think there may be a place for that wonderful activity that Arlene shared.I will not know for sure until I try to create an instructional plan to address this particular standard. There are also 2 Grade 5 Structure and properties of Matter PEs performance expectations that you might be planning instruction around.

William Morrow William Morrow 1410 Points

If only it got that cold in Houston! I would like to try this. Perhaps there is a way to modify it for classroom use? Perhaps a cold chamber?

Johany Serafin Johany Serafin 1755 Points

If only we could have that weather here in Houston. Thank you for the idea.

Laura Tun Laura 1840 Points

That would be a great activity and it looks so beautiful. Makes me want to do it myself. -Laura

Kandida Brooks Kandida Brooks 1225 Points

This is such a great idea! If only it got cold enough in Texas to do a fun science activity like this! Thank you so much for sharing!

Teague Rab Teague Rab 1050 Points

I would do this activity I think that the children would have fun. I would have to do it on a very cold day in Texas and that does not happen a lot. Thanks, Teague Rab

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Thanks for sharing this link! I think this would be a great way to help students visualize changes in the state of matter. Since we normally can't "see" things transform from a liquid to a solid, this can be difficult for students to visualize. However, with this clever activity, students would really be able to visualize the bubble changing from a liquid to a solid. Maureen

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers