Forums

Forums / Professional Learning / Free NSTA Webseminars

Professional Learning

Free NSTA Webseminars

Author Post
Alyce Dalzell Alyce Dalzell 64075 Points

Hi,
If your students enjoy working in cooperative groups designing and building structures, you will want to enroll in NSTA's free webseminar 'Engineering Design Challenges: Spacecraft Structures' being held on Friday, November 29!

Go to: http://learningcenter.nsta.org/products/webseminars.aspx

I have attended several of the US Space Foundations' (Colorado Springs) summer classes, and they often use materials from Design Squad (WGBH and NSF).

Attached is a design challenge that I altered to fit my students' needs. 'Touchdown Moon Lander' (5th-8th level) is a tested favorite of mine and I promise it will hook your students into the design engineering process until you take the webseminar and begin designing your own.

Hope to see you in class! Alyce

Attachments

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

I have attended the UCAR/NASA webinars on climate change this year. They are also a great resource for Earth Science classes. I look forward to using the resources suggested in them when I teach about climate change. If you missed them, they are now in the NSTA web seminar archives.

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Ruth, Alyce - I agree with you. NSTA Web Seminars (FREE) have many purposes, they are great as content updates, for networking with other teachers from around the world, to meet and ask questions of world known presenters.

I have used the Archives in the classroom, showing students what I learned and playing the audio for them to get the latest from the experts.

Coming up in December is a series of three web seminars, Dec. 7, 9, and 14 featuring teachers representing 11 high schools who flew science experiments this summer in NASA's Reduced Gravity Aircraft. They have amazing stories to share. Register today!
Flavio.

Jill Weingarten Jill Weingarten 375 Points

good webinar so far flavio--jill

Becoming 'fluent' browsing and searching the NSTA Learning Center can be tricky, and sometimes frustrating. A FREE Webseminar is being offered to help educators learn tricks of the trade and begin using a valuable support tool.

The NSTA Learning Center (NLC), the 'home base' for e-learning and professional development opportunities is a repository of online learning experiences and resources for science educators. It features Science Objects, self-paced, e-learning modules and hundreds of award-winning NSTA Journals, many with lesson plans ready for classroom use. Also available at the NLC are tools, like My Library that can be used to store Learning Center and your own resources and to create and share collections.

Visit the attached link to sign up for the seminar. All participants will receive one free SciPack (value: $40) for attending and completing an evaluation at the end of the program.

Once you have the knowledge, you will be able to go farther - faster!

http://learningcenter.nsta.org/products/symposia_seminars/NLC/webseminarIII.aspx

Enjoy your evening, Alyce

Hi,
Winter break may be a good time for you to indulge your professional side for 90 minutes by attending a free NSTA Web Seminar!

Remember, after you complete the online survey at the end of the seminar NSTA deposits a certificate of attendance in your PD Record. (Professional Development Record)

visit http://learningcenter.nsta.org/webseminars.aspx to register.

12/20 MESSENGER: Staying Cool - My Angle on Cooling-Effects of Distance and Inclination

12/22 Satellite Meteorology: Monitoring the Global Environment

1/4 Lunar Nautics: Designing a Mission to Live and Work on the Moon

If you miss a seminar, they can be viewed through the NSTA Archives!

Alyce

Rachel Engle Rachel Engle 1575 Points

I have really enjoyed the free NSTA webseminars! I can't wait to start using the wonderful resources I've collected.

Hi Rachel,
I'm so glad you stopped in to visit this thread! I find it difficult to decide which live Web Seminar to attend or view from the archives. Which seminars have you participated in and felt were well worth your time?

Let's share our favorites...with no kids or relatives around my home over the holidays I know I'll have some time to attend or view NSTA's Web Seminar Archive.

Enjoy, Alyce

Arlene,
Thank you for jogging my memory on NSTA's free Messenger: Cooling with Sunshades Web Seminar! The seminars that are sponsored by NASA are always high in quality and produce unbeleivable teaching resources. This seminar looks especially good to me because it is highlighting inquiry-based student learning. I'm planning on acquiring resources for not only my earth/space science classes but also my light and energy physical science classes.

Even though I have the date marked on my calendar I appreciate that all of NSTA's Web Seminars are archived, in case something unplanned comes up I'm still able to acquire the presented information.

Enjoy your day, Alyce

Elizabeth Dalzell-Wagers Elizabeth Dalzell 9945 Points

Hi Group, I have attended 3 web seminars this month! They are great, and I would always encourage everyone to attend the live sessions as you are able to speak with experts, and other educators around the world to exchange ideas! Hopefully I see you everyone at a seminar in the future Happy New Year, Liz

Hi Arlene and Readers,
Thank you for posting these all at once, that way I can get my calendar out and mark the ones I'm interested in! There are some outstanding choices of WebSeminars. I really gained some valuable information when I attended the Virtual Lab! also, Engineering Design:Spacecraft Structures was excellent in providing lesson ideas utilizing the engineering process!

Go to the PBS/Design Squad website for additional free downloadable NASA Engineering Design lessons and short video clips on each of the steps in the Engineering Design Process! Great site. :)

Alyce

Susanne Hokkanen Susanne Hokkanen 79520 Points

I love the webseminars!! I began attending the webseminars as soon as I joined the NSTA in May of 2008. I have been participating in webseminars longer than they have been keeping a record of them in my PD transcripts. :-) I am/was a history major hired to teach science....I needed content knowledge and pedagogy! :-) I gained content knowledge, pedagogy, and an opportunity to ask questions on both through my participation. I am so glad to see more webesemiar topics offered and the availability to attend multiple seminars on the same topic. I have also noticed, if I forget or get too busy to attend a webseminar, NSTA will send a notice/reminder that the webseminar is also scheduled at a future date, and then remind me to sign up. Also, I especially like that the webseminars are archived, so if you miss it in real-time, you can catch-up at your convenience. However, I still recommend the webseminars live - they offer a great opportunity to ask questions and gain clarity on content knowledge and pedagogy. Sue

Hello Friends,
We only have a few days left to earn triple points in the NSTA Learning Center! You may want to check the free NSTA Webseminars that are being offered in the coming week to add 100 X 3 = 300 points!! to your LC total.

Visit NSTA's Live Web Seminar information page and sign up for a live 90 minute presentation. Seminars support you in completing professional development goals, add points and virtual badges to your LC profile, and enhance your content knowledge.

See you online, Alyce

Elizabeth Dalzell-Wagers Elizabeth Dalzell 9945 Points

I just wanted to echo what has been stated on this thread! I attended the best Webseminar last night, Virtual Lab, if you have a chance sign up for the next one! They walk you thru the process of using an SEM in the classroom, and you can download/upload a TON of free pictures from organisms/items that have been scanned. I am so excited to implement this in the classroom. The best part is you get to use the images of a $600,000 piece of equipment for free. Thanks Liz

Daniel Carroll Dan Carroll 18610 Points

I would agree. not just for lofe science either. I will use the info for AP physics and astronomy.

Daniel Carroll Dan Carroll 18610 Points

oops. I mean life science. Ipad is great keyboard is tricky

Sherene McDonald Sherene McDonald 22305 Points

I absolutely love the webseminars that I participated in on Jan 24 - Jan 26. I would really like to send a special thank you to Mr. Jay Layman that was patient with me and my computer and the online support team are fabulous. I had a problem getting on because my connection was very slow with the wireless connection and each time Jay and the online support team were right there to assist me and made sure that they were there for and with me every step of the way. Oh! yeah the rest of the web seminars were wonderful and full of resources that will be beneficial to my students in all learning disciplines. Sherene

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

I want to echo my kudoos on the Virtual Lab webinar, Liz. How wonderful that we can have access to these archived webinars whenever we feel the need to have a refresher or do view them for the first time! Thanks for the overview of webinars for this month, Arlene. I am going to try to attend at least one "live" webinar a month.

Tiffany Brewczynski Tiffany Brewczynski 430 Points

Hi All, As a pre-service teacher, and a student of Carolyn's, I have really enjoyed access to the NSTA website as well as the benefits of being able to participate in webinars and view/listen to webinar archives, on the NSTA website. I have found out some wonderful information regarding STEM research, which I plan to utilize on future job interviews as well as in the classroom. I have enjoyed webinars that have ranged from specific science content information, to pedagogy strategies for the classroom. I encourage all pre-service teachers to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity for viewing and participating in web seminars, through the NSTA website.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

I am delighted to see some exciting chemistry webinars coming up this fall. I hope readers will registers

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

OOps Here is the link to see what is coming up and register http://learningcenter.nsta.org/products/webseminars.aspx

Hi Everyone, The NSTA is conducting a free web seminar on the new K-12 Science Education Framework just released. You can see the information for it here. It is Tuesday, July 26th.

Hi Everyone,
The Virtual Lab webinar is back next week - August 31. If you haven't experienced it yet, it is awesome.
I signed up for the one on August 30, 2011 – Meteorology: How Clouds Form
Hope to see some of you at the webinar!

Bridget Croteau Bridget Croteau 1945 Points

I just registered for a bunch of the webseminars! I have been a NSTA member for years, but never realized they had these available. I will definitely be attending many of these in the coming months!

Bridget wrote, 'I just registered for a bunch of the webseminars! I have been a NSTA member for years, but never realized they had these available. I will definitely be attending many of these in the coming months!'

That is wonderful, Bridget. Web Seminars were the first thing that I discovered on the NSTA website. I couldn't believe that they were free! What web seminars are you planning to attend?

Bridget Croteau Bridget Croteau 1945 Points

I am registered for these seminars - I feel like I registered for almost all of them! Weather and Climate: Satellite Meteorology The Science of Solar Power for Middle and High School Students Properties of Living Things: Searching for Life on Mars Food Chemistry in the High School Classroom Learning Center's Science Objects National Chemistry Week Resources for High and Middle School Science Teachers, Chemical Bonding: Learning From “Simple” Models Electromagnetic Spectrum: Remote Sensing Ices on Mars Chemical Bonding: Why is Water Different? Meteorology: How Clouds Form

Hey Bridget, Yes, you are attending quite a few web seminars. What do you teach? I attended the Remote Sensing web seminar. You will really enjoy it. I got a lot of resources I can use with my Physics students. It's a great application of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Great topic...indeed, there are many web seminar topics scheduled this semester. I invite all to attend, however, I am curious about: (1) Which features do you like best about NSTA web seminars? (2) How do you incorporate what you have learned from an NSTA web seminar into your classroom instruction? Please be as specific as you can. (3) What topics would you like to see presented on future web seminars? Let's talk. Flavio.

Since most of us can't travel to Portsmouth, NH, Arlene, that is a great idea for some future webinars!
Flavio also asks, '(1) Which features do you like best about NSTA web seminars?

1. My favorite features are:
a. the interactive component where we (the participants) can freely ask questions as they come to us in the chat window and always receive responses from the expert moderators
b. the ability to access the archived webinars, and more recently I have noticed how I can access a bundle of the resources in a collection that is put together for me to download into my NSTA 'My Library'. So cool!

Teresa Thompson Teresa Thompson 120 Points

This is my first time renewing my license. Does anyone know if the 1.5 hour NSTA webinars will count toward my necessary license renewal points?

Flavio wrote, '(1) Which features do you like best about NSTA web seminars?'

Hi Flavio,

I love the practical applications of science concepts. Many of the NSTA web seminars introduce activities that teachers can use in their classes. I also enjoy the interactions with the scientists. You can get your questions answered by the experts.

Beverly Beinlich Beverly Beinlich 2450 Points

As a preservice teacher, NSTA webinars offer me a chance to build my content knowledge and the opportunity to ask questions from knowledgeable presenters. As someone with a very full schedule, as most educators find themselves, I love that if I miss a seminar I am interested in, I still have the opportunity to view it through the archives. One that was a great refresher for me was the Messenger Staying Cool – My Angle on Cooling–Effects of Distance and Inclination. Between this and the Earth, Moon & Sun Sci-Pack, I feel I have a pretty solid background in explaining what factors have the most influence on the seasons on Earth.

Hi Beverly!
Have you noticed in the archived NSTA WebSeminars that the powerpoint presentation is also available to download? I will often use several of the seminar's slides as a 'starting point' when developing my classroom presentation. My middle school students think that it's great that I'm taking coursework and they understand the material. LOL

The WebSeminar on December 1 should be a great topic! Meteorology: How Clouds Form. We will learn about the relationships between air pressure, temperature, and cloud formation. A description of the necessary conditions necessary for cloud formation and a lab that illustrates how to apply them to making a cloud in a bottle is going to be included.

Enjoy your week,
Alyce

Louise McMinn Louise McMinn 5600 Points

Hi Alyce - I appreciate that you attached your lesson plan on a design challenge. I think is shows how easy it is to incorporate the design challenges into your classroom or after school program. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Louise, Check the archived WebSeminars in a couple of days and you can listen and watch at your leisure...maybe over our Holiday Break! Archived Seminars are easy to locate through the Learning Center: Go to the "Learning Resources & Opportunities" tab above From the drop-down menu select "Web Seminar Archives" I always check the archive area of the LC whenever I begin a new unit. Quick brush up and the images used in NSTA's presentations are of such great detail; they add a pop to my classroom presentations. Enjoy your week, Alyce

Donna Martin Donna Martin 4025 Points

I have finished quite a few NSTA webinars and they have been very helpful, since I am a new teacher with no mentoring I need all the extra information that I can locate. I wish they would do one on EOI or EOCs

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers