Forums

Forums / Life Science / Middle School Life Science

Life Science

Middle School Life Science

Author Post
Harper Miller Harper Miller 95 Points

I have to teach a lesson in a sixth grade science class. I am curious about any tools or tips you may have to help me out. I have not taught a science lesson before so I am really up for anything. Please let me know about anything I can utilize. 

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

I found this on NSTA Freebies for science teachers.

http://www.wm.com/thinkgreen/index.jsp
Sponsored by Waste Management and Discovery Education, www.thinkgreen.com (click on Classroom Tools), contains K–12 lessons, videos, and interactive tools to help students rethink what they know about waste. K–5 lessons focus on sorting trash and what happens when trash decomposes; middle school lessons explore the four “Rs” of waste (reduce, reuse, recycle, and recover); and high school lessons focus on solving solid waste problems. The site also provides downloadable posters promoting recycling ideas.

Kelly Riedy Kelly Riedy 470 Points

Hi Harper, You should pick a standard to follow. If you begin with that it will make everything easier. Then start your research. Youtube, Google, etc. Depending on where you are, some standards have sample lesson plans, but research is always a good choice. Also, remember that students learn best through investigation and hands-on experiences. NSTA has several articles about Inquiry-based learning. I suggest looking them up! It is the best way to teach a science lesson because it helps students remain engaged and interested while learning. Good luck!

Brittany Bentz Brittany Bentz 1205 Points

Hi Harper!

Always start your lesson by picking a standard. I would then conduct a pre-assessment to see where the students are at before planning a lesson. Students also learn best through inquiry-based learning. Present them with a phenomenon and then let them ivestigate. This increases student motivation and makes learning more meaningful to them. 

Cheri Authement Cheri Authement 3970 Points

Do you have a topic or standard in mind for the lesson?

Shelby Myers Shelby Myers 1391 Points

Hi Harper - always start with the standard. That way you know that you are teaching the content that needs to be taught. Then conduct a pre-assessment to assess student knowledge. Then you should start your research! Inquiry based learning is always a great approach. 

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

Hello fellow science teacher,

I am replying you behalf of Funsciencedemos YouTube Channel that is home to hundreds of free videos for ideas for teachers and students to recreate in the classroom. Science is our passion and we are so excited to share our engaging, kid-teacher-parent friendly, and interactive lessons with you to use in the classroom or at home. Our videos adhere to the common core science standards, encompass a wide variety of science concepts, and are specifically geared toward younger learners. All videos on the FunScienceDemos channel come with an English subtitle that can be translated into almost any language, making science lessons accessible virtually any place in the world.  

We encourage you check it out and spread the word! We post new science videos once a month, please subscribe our channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/funsciencedemos

Sincerely,

The FunScienceDemos Team

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers