Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Adding on Credentials

New Teachers

Adding on Credentials

Author Post
Ashley Kirkwood Ashley Kirkwood 455 Points

Hi, I am currently in the credential program for multiple subjects in California. I am thinking about adding on a math credential. Have people experienced better opportunities receiving jobs with an additional credential soon after their first? I have heard it is good to wait a little bit to get your masters; is that similar with the additional credential? Also, I am wondering how difficult the CSETS are. Is it worth taking classes or can I manage to pass without the class and just buying materials to study from.

Michael Nilles Michael Nilles 445 Points

Hi Ashley, I've heard differing opinions on "beefing" up your resume. Some districts in my state (Illinois) prefer an applicant have a Master's degree, while other districts hesitate at hiring a Master's teacher because of the increased salary and cost to the district. What state are you in? I would assume any credentials that include Math or Reading/LA can only help you...as well as a ELL/ESL endorsement/certificate. I'm just about to graduate with my Masters so I will update how the job search goes when I'm done! Good luck! Mike

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers