Forums

Forums / Professional Learning / Top Tips for NSTA Conference Newbies

Professional Learning

Top Tips for NSTA Conference Newbies

Author Post
Cheska Robinson Cheska Lorena 5075 Points

Hello everyone! I'm very excited about the upcoming conference in San Antonio this April. It is my first science conference, and I can't wait to go! I tried to make a schedule about the sessions I wanted to attend, and come up with a plan what I should do and where I should go... and got really overwhelmed LOL I was wondering if you could share your experiences, and lessons learned from previous conferences. What are your top 10 NSTA conference survival tips? I would love to hear from you!

Danielle Penrod Danielle Penrod 2295 Points

I am very interested in hearing about this as well!

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

The NSTA national conference is an exciting opportunity to interact with other teachers. Here is a blog entry from last year that has some tips (and two infographics) for maximizing your experiences: http://nstacommunities.org/blog/2012/01/28/nsta-conference-your-first-one/

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Cheska,
I am connecting this thread to the other one you started so that participants can check both places for ideas: Top Tips for NSTA Conference Newbies (Live Science)
Carolyn

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Cheska, I am so excited for you. You will love the experience. Part of the fun is going through the catalogue of choices and just seeing what is available. Sometimes the choices are hard. My advice to you would be to bring a “draggy cart” where you can put all of the freebie stuff you will find in the exhibitor area. You definitely want to plan to spend some time in there. It’s fascinating, and your arms will get tired carrying everything. Personally, I went three times to the exhibitor area Once really fast grabbing all the cool free stuff. The second time I went slower, listened to some of what the vendors were saying and then figured out who I wanted to go back to the third time and have a “sit down and show me” what you offer for me in the classroom to make me a better teacher and engage students. Take address labels or business cards with you so you can leave them with vendors so they can send you information. The address labels come in really handy when you are signing up for all of the giveaway prizes. Just peel and stick and you are on your way. This saves your hand from cramping from all the writing on cards. If Dinah Zike is offering a session, hop to it as fast as your legs can carry you. Her foldables are so useful at all grade levels. I liked her so much, I actually stayed for more than one session and 15 years later still go to her sessions for refreshers and to cherry pick new ideas from her. Page Keeley is another presenter that is worth seeing, especially if you are new to her “Uncovering” book series. Online there is a Session Browser/Personal Scheduler at http://www.nsta.org/conferences/schedule.aspx?id=2013SAN where you can plan your time out and either print it out or access it online. This was such a lifesaver when I went to the conference in Seattle. As you look through the sessions, many of the presenters have uploaded handouts and information on their session. Feel free to download it and look through it to see if the session covers what you want. Once at the conference, listen to what others are saying about speakers and sessions. Ask them questions about the sessions they’ve enjoyed and if interested, then don’t feel even a little bit guilty about changing your mind going somewhere else. As an older participant, as the conference went on, I found myself changing my sessions to those rooms closer to where I was. The best part of the conference is there are no bad sessions. Everybody comes so well prepared it’s amazing. This will be such an incredible experience. I hope you will come back and share the highlights with us. Most of all, have fun. You will make a ton of new friends.

Cheska Robinson Cheska Lorena 5075 Points

You are all the best! I love how you both posted here, and in the Life Science forums. Thank you!

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Cheska, I want to share my current strategy. Understand it has taken me many years to figure this out. 1.Spend the extra $100 and go to a PDI on Wednesday.The go to follow up sessions on Thursday,Friday and Saturday. By doing this,you change the conference into focused professional learning experience. 2.Another strategy,do not plan on going to two sessions in a row unless they are very close in location. 3.Every evening lay out the plan for the next day. Make sure you leave time for the exhibitor hall. 4. Consider bringing an extra suitcase to carry your stuff home. Kathy

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Hi Cheska,

I am so excited for you. I agree with Sandy...bring business cards to leave with vendors and other teachers that you meet at the conference. I also agree with Kathy, pack a suitcase within a suitcase. (This is actually what I intend to do.) I am embarrassed to admit that at my first NSTA conference I mailed my clothes home and brought all my 'bling' back with me on the airplane. There wasn't room for both and it was less expensive to send the clothes home via FedEx.

Be sure to preregister for any field trips...they cost extra, but are a great deal. Most include lunch and you get to see places to which you would not normally have access.

Finally, the Online Browser Scheduler is searchable. You can limit your search parameters to find just the PD you need. There are so many options at the conference...it can be very overwhelming. I tend look for topics that will help add spice to my humdrum units.

Have fun!

Laurie Johnson Laurie Johnson 2045 Points

Thanks for the tips - can't wait to go but it seems like it will be easy to get lost in all of the opportunities as well as going to the required sessions.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Hey Conference Goers :-)

Time is getting close. I am working on my presentations and putting together what i will ship to my hotel so I do not have to carry it with me.

Another tip I just thought about..Make sure you do your evaluations in the sessions you attend. That is the wy NSTA documents your attendance so you an bring back to your district.

Also go to the first timer's session.

Thursday, April 11 8:00–9:00 AM

Is This Your First NSTA Conference?

Grand Hyatt San Antonio, Texas Ballroom C

Feeling overwhelmed by all there is to see and do at an NSTA conference on science education? Join us for an interactive walk through the conference program book. By the end of the session, we guarantee you'll know just how to get the most from your conference participation. Door prizes!
Presenter(s): Patricia Simmons (North Carolina State University: Raleigh, NC)
FORMAT: Workshop
SUBJECT: General Science
GRADE LEVEL: General

Jim McDonald Jim McDonald 5010 Points

For first time conference goers, I would suggest that you seek out someone who has gone before and get some some hints from them. I would also taking some time to look at the session choices and map out what sessions you want to go to. Skip some time between the sessions that you choose so you can get from place to place. Lastly I would suggest to go to as many sessions as you want to but do not burn yourself out.

Stacy Holland Stacy Holland 6865 Points

Go to the TINspire learning sessions in the vendor area. I went to the physical science, chemistry, and life science lessons last year and learned so much more about using the TINspire in my classroom. Wear comfortable shoes!

Shannon Hudson Shannon Hudson 2555 Points

1. wear comfy shoes! 2. DO NOT miss the exhibit hall 3. always strike up a converstaion with the people sitting next to you- networking is HUGE!

Steve Kirsche Stephen Kirsche 9145 Points

I just wanted to thank all who posted suggestions. They helped me make this conference a great one!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers