Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Scientific Inquiry

General Science and Teaching

Scientific Inquiry

Author Post
Colby Kagawa Colby Kagawa 490 Points

I am currently teaching a natural resources course. Does anyone have good lesson plans on how to teach scientific inquiry? How to set up the topic and prepare students for the process, and most importantly, have success? Any tips or advice you could give me will be greatly appreciated.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Colby,
You didn't mention what grade level you teach. The NSTA Learning Center has a collection of resources already bundled for teachers looking for ideas and informaiton on how to teach science as inquiry. Here are the links:
Inquiry: High School Collection
Inquiry: Elementary Collection
Inquiry: Middle School Collection
Let us know what grade you teach, and perhaps others will share some grade specific resources.
In the meantime, I think you will find these resources very helpful.
Carolyn

Colby Kagawa Colby Kagawa 490 Points

Thank you Carolyn, I will definitely look at the links. I teach natural resources to 10th graders; most of which are special ed. or 504 students. I'm trying to teach them to think on their own and not rely on the teacher to provide all the answers.

Rochelle Tamiya Rochelle Tamiya 4095 Points

A great opening maybe would be to give each group a bunch of pictures that consist of natural versus synthetic resources and have them classify them. The only involvement you'd have as a teacher is to tell them those instructions. Allow the groups to figure out the why and how they classify these items. You will have classfication of groups that are totally way off however, you might be surprised at how they are grouped as well. For example, you may have a picture of the car, sailboat and bicycle all in one group, versus the coconut tree, grass and dirt in another group, with students explaining to you that in the car group, these are things that take us places whereas in the coconut tree group, these things are stuff found outside. In any case, you can still find connections to natural versus synthetic resources and will be able to bring it to summation and closure by letting the students make scaffolded connections that yes, humans made the "things that take us places" which is not a natural resource versus the "things found outside" are more in the natural state. After finding several pictures, try grouping them yourself or having your own children (if relevant) group these pictures before doing them with your students. The "true" basis of inquiry learning is to have students explore themselves and to allow them to learn through hands-on, questioning, etc..where the teacher is simply a facilitator/guide. You'll find that you will be able to refer to this lesson and your students' misconceptions throughout the rest of your natural resources lesson. Especially for your special needs students, it will give them the opportunity to think on their own at higher levels - making connections on their own. I've struggled for years trying to incorporate inquiry lessons but am finding that the more I allow my students to make the mistakes, and to explore first on their own, the more relevant the lessons become and the more meaningful to them. Hope that helps...

Caryn Meirs Caryn Meirs 26235 Points

Rochelle - I love engaging students using great pictures for their own classification and discussion. When the district cut off color printing I found that my local Costco could make prints at ridiculously low prices and I now have really nice photo paper 8 x10s sets that are laminated for the kids to use. I provide the groups with a powerpoint version printed out either 3 or 6 slides per page to keep notes on - or with younger grade I just let them use post-it notes.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers