Forums

Forums / STEM / Is STEM realistic?

STEM

Is STEM realistic?

Author Post
Tori Whitfield Tori Whitfield 180 Points

I have taken two STEM classes so far in college. I love the idea of STEM in the classroom, and I've even had some of my STEM curriculum published. However, I haven't tried a STEM lesson in a classroom setting with the pressures of standardized testing. Do you think that it works and that it is realistic? I just want to know if teachers today think that it is helpful and effective. Thanks!

Neena Paul Neena Paul 1335 Points

Considering STEM could be as simple as using a scale in measuring liquids during a science lesson, I think it could integrated pretty easily. I think the problem really comes in however when you look at the time allotted in the elementary curriculum (at least where I live) for science and STEM. There is a lot of time dedicated for math so STEM concepts I believe would be used more effectively their. Since, I am only a pre-service teacher, I have yet to have enough experience to share the practicality of it from my perspective. I have seen some teachers in their math lessons use engineering manipulatives (like legos) to demonstrate concepts with multiplication and other number operations. I think you bring up a good thought. Hopefully with some outside-the-box thinking, great STEM lessons can be used without the stress of standardized testing.

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Dear Tori, Thank you for your interesting post and question. Please consider joining us for a half-day virtual conference on STEM on Saturday, November 7. The presenters will share several examples in which systemic changes have brought about significant improvements in STEM teaching and learning. Presenters will also discuss what it takes to implement such changes, including the absolute requirement of support by top leaders. To register for this virtual conference, visit: http://learningcenter.nsta.org/products/online_courses/VC_STEM_151107.aspx Flavio.

Monica Pelayo Monica Pelayo 305 Points

I think STEM can be realistically done in the classroom. Something as simple as letting students design their own experiment allows them to practice engineering and planning skills. 

Melanie Vibar Melanie Vibar 835 Points

Along with the others, I believe STEM is realistic. In order to maybe familiarize your students with questions on your state's standardized test formats, I would give them a few questions in whole group or small group and show assess them yourself that way. If you do this, the students can conduct your activities but also get used to seeing those kinds of questions. With your guidance as well, they will be comfortable enough and not be too intimidated. 

Julie Haynes Julie Haynes 495 Points

When we do STEM activities, my students are thoroughly engaged. The learning and questioning that takes place is incredible. It's worth it.

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

Hey,  STEM is incredibly valuable for young students and is not incorporated enough because many teachers feel daunted by the overwhelming task of incorporating more when they already have so little time. However, teaching STEM does not have to take hours out of the day. I have been developing a channel on YouTube that is dedicated to explaining science concepts to young learners in just a few minutes called FunScienceDemos. These can be shown in class or recreated to let the students do the demonstrations. I highly suggest subscribing as we release new videos regularly and if there is some demo that you would like to see please feel free to contact us via message, Facebook, or twitter and we will take you suggestion! https://www.youtube.com/user/funsciencedemos Best of Luck, The FunScienceDemos Team Dr. George Mehler Ed.D., Temple University Jared Hottenstein Central Bucks School District

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers