Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Lab Attendance Policy and Makeups

General Science and Teaching

Lab Attendance Policy and Makeups

Author Post
Brendon Schrock Brendon Schrock 435 Points

Any science class in high school will have lessons where a lab is needed to drive home the point. Of course, there always will be students who have something come up, or a doctor's appointment and will subsequently miss the lab. For these instances, how do you handle it? Do you have the students make-up the lab the next day? Before or after school? Are they exempt? I know this can be tricky at times depending on the reasons why students have to miss class, as well as the time out of the school. Thanks! 

Kyli Bumbray Kyli Bumbray 1708 Points

Hello Brendon,

I can tell you a policy that my high school science teacher had and I think it worked pretty well. If a student was absent for an excused reason then she would allow the student to come in either before or after school to make up the lab within a weeks time. She also had another policy where one lab absense could be excused and you did not have to make it up if you had over an A in the class by the end. So, you could have x amont of absenses by the end of the semester and if your overall grade was an A, she would take one of the missed labs off. Hope this helps a little!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers