Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Weather or Not!

Earth and Space Science

Weather or Not!

Author Post
Alyce Dalzell Alyce Dalzell 64075 Points

Hi Adah,
Many of our thread posters agree with the emphasis they are placing on Weather units. Check out our thread 'Meteorology' that we have going under Earth and Space Science - I think you'll find some excellent suggestions to support your teaching!

Enjoy,
Alyce

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

I would also vote to develop a SciPack for Meteorology. I would like to see an emphasis on how aspects of the physical environment and climate affect the weather, and a significant focus on climate change. Perhaps a Climate SciPack would also be in order.

LeRoy Attles LeRoy Attles 56535 Points

I also want to share my collection on weather. Enjoy!!

Weather Unit Collection (11 items)
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
Kendra Young Kendra Young 17180 Points

Meteorology used to be my most dreaded unit until I completed some graduate work at Mississippi State University on the subject - it's now one of my favorite topics to teach! I now approach it through a historical lens - especially in light of current global warming trends. I use the Permian Mass Extinction (which took approx. 8 million years to unfold) with more recent extinction events. What's different between recent events and historical extinctions? How did the movement of land masses impact marine and terrestrial environments? What are possible reasons for the rapid increase in global temperatures in recent history? (On this last topic, I encourage students to look at both human and non-human influences.) How do others approach the topic of meteorology/climatology and current global warming research? Do you use current news reports (such as Fox or MSNBC) in your classroom or do you use findings from current academic research? Happy weathering! Kendra

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Adah, http://learningcenter.nsta.org/discuss/default.aspx?tid=YQnRzVCwA!plus!Y= '' target="_blank"> http://learningcenter.nsta.org/discuss/default.aspx?tid=YQnRzVCwA!plus!Y= ' target="_blank"> http://learningcenter.nsta.org/discuss/default.aspx?tid=YQnRzVCwA!plus!Y= " target="_blank">Here's a link to a similar discussion about meteorology . I do want to re-post one entry in particular from the other thread in which Alyce Dalzell highlights how many weather/climate change resources are available in the NSTA Learning Center: by Alyce Dalzell, Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:55 AM [i]Hi Thread Readers, NASA and NSTA has excellent resources and links to climate change / weather educational material. When I performed an Advanced Search from my home page on our NSTA website I was provided 200+ results. Advanced Search results include Books & Articles (62), Seminars and Classes (8) and Do-It-Yourself Learning opportunities (153)! Although climate change is a hot topic in the lives of our students, I've heard of few states that include the knowledge on their state testing. Colorado State Testing includes a few weather questions, but so far none of Climate Change. Inquiry is centered around wind patterns, waves and fronts. Do any of you have some "kid tested" inquiry lessons that you could share? I would love to incorporate them into my classroom. Enjoy your day, Alyce[/i]

Angie Fairweather Angelika Fairweather 12180 Points

Hello,
I've really enjoyed reading these threads. I recently found out that it is good practice to refer to 'Climate Change' instead of 'Global Warming' by a NOAA meteorologist. The book Pole to Pole offers some fantastic lesson plans for Climate Change. Chapter 2 Earth’s Changing Climate is a fantastic high-school level resource for students to examine the difference in weather and climate by analyzing data trends. The lesson also includes Uncertainty and Consensus which is so important for students to understand in the climate change arena.

Adah Weather is not a step child in the state of Georgia. Teaching about weather is a part of the state Science Standards for 6th Grade in the State of Georgia.

Adah Weather is not a step child in the state of Georgia. Teaching about weather is a part of the state Science Standards for 6th Grade in the State of Georgia.

Ann Allison Cooke Allison Cooke 6550 Points

I love to teach weather, too. It's so deep: states of matter energy exchange oceanography landforms astronomy geography process and measurement skills water cycle I hardly know where to begin! I made a huge pile of NSTA resources to browse and review. As soon as I can tear myself away from here, I'll start! Allison

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Everyone! We are talking about weather as it relates to global warming over in another discussion thread, and I just attached the NSTA Elementary Collection on Ocean's Effect on Weather. There are lots of resources on weather in general embedded in that collection, so I will attach it here as well. For anyone that might not know about the NSTA Online Advisors' Collections, they are accessible through the Learning Center. There are middle and high school Collections under "Ocean's Effect on Weather", too.

I couldn't get the collection to load above, so here is my second try:

Angie Fairweather Angelika Fairweather 12180 Points

NOAA in cooperation with several other agencies developed an outline for Climate Literacy http://climate.noaa.gov/index.jsp?pg=/education/edu_index.jsp&edu=literacy

I wasn't able to physically be at the San Francisco conference, but there are a wealth of resources at the conference webpage. Here is one I plucked out about weather. Enjoy!

Presentation was on Friday, March 11 12:30–1:30 PM

Under Pressure!

Moscone Center, 220 & 222
When students understand the concept of atmospheric pressure, weather starts to make a lot more sense. Watch your class come to life—and to learning—as you crush cans using nothing but air and vacuum-pack the school principal who's usually full of the stuff. Watch what happens to people and things under no pressure at all…YIKES!

Presenter(s): Teresa A. Eastburn (National Center for Atmospheric Research: Boulder, CO)

FORMAT: Workshop
SUBJECT: Earth Science
GRADE LEVEL: General
CONFERENCE STRAND: Exploring Earth, Wind, and Fire
Presenter Materials for this Session
UNDER PRESSURE! Workshop Resources Online
You'll find all the workshop activity write-ups at this site in addition to links to Web sites referenced including the National Center for Atmospheric Research's Kids' Crossing, Web Weather for Kids, and the American Meteorology Society's DataStreme project. Thanks for joining us!

Robin Sizemore Robin Anglin 2080 Points

Conversations about weather and climate change remind me that when I was checking the planting zones (USDA Hardiness Zones) the other day, I noticed a new map had been created and that my area (along with many others) had been changed to denote the warmer winters. See http://www.arborday.org/media/mapchanges.cfm

Diane Ripollone Diane Ripollone 3210 Points

I do a whole unit on weather and love the section. Recently I used the Satellite Meteorology Website that was talked about in a NES webnair. I introduced clouds by having my students complete the module on the website. They thought it was very informative and easy to understand. They especially liked the hands-on activity with Dew Point Temp. and Humidity. We have also joined S'COOL another NASA site. Every day we take observations at the same time the satellite passes over. We report all our observations to NASA. Its a great activity and the kids really do like it.
Diane

Diane, that was an excellent website for weather related resources. Thank you. I especially liked how it integrated information about careers in satellite meteorology too! Can you elaborate on how you report your students’ observations to NASA?

Dorian Janney Dorian Janney 10505 Points

I just finished reviewing an article from our NSTA collection entitled, "Blogging About the Weather". This journal article explains a fabulous project-based way to teach both elementary and middle school students about the weather and related concepts.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Along with a lesson on weather some may be interested in resources on emergency preparedness. Here are two good options Emergency Preparedness http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/science-ed/2006/weather.pdf Students read a brief article on a recent study showing the deadly impact of extreme hot and extreme cold periods on specific medical subgroups. Then they relate these findings to their local emergency response plan. http://www.redcross.org/disaster/masters/ The American Red Cross Masters of Disaster® curriculum is centered on a series of ready-to-go lesson plans that help organizations educate youth about important disaster safety and preparedness information. Masters of Disaster contains lessons, activities, and demonstrations on disaster-related topics that organizations can incorporate into daily or thematic programming. The curriculum is non-sequential, allowing organizers to choose the lesson plans that best fit into their programming. The Masters of Disaster curriculum materials meet national educational standards and are specifically tailored for lower elementary (K–2), upper elementary (3–5) and middle school (6–8) classes.

Nathan Reyes Oda Nathan Reyes Oda 80 Points

I just wanted to share a few resources I use when checking weather. Monterey Navy Research Lab. Satellite imagery. http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/sat_products.html National Weather Service doppler radar. http://radar.weather.gov/

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers