Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Integrating Science and Physical Education

Elementary Science

Integrating Science and Physical Education

Author Post
Olivia Heidelmark Olivia Heidelmark 255 Points

Hello! I am currently a teacher candidate in my third year of University, and I was wondering has anyone thought to integrate science and physical education. In my program, we have learned how to integrate science and ELA, maths, and even art, but there's been no mention of physical education. What are your thoughts or experiences on that?   

Taylor Andollo Taylor Andollo 720 Points

I think that is a very good idea! I think that the integration of science and physical education can be done when having lessons on the body and possibly nutrition. There is an article on the NSTA website called 'Moving your body' I believe, where it provides activities for students to do that relate to the section that was just read. I have not had any experience in that case, but I do not see why it would be impossible!

Ashley Resendiz Ashley Resendiz 675 Points

I agree with you that there should be an integration of science and physical education. I have yet to see a something like that. I have read multiple articles before that states that students learn better in enviroments that are hands because of the corelations that they make. I have not yet seen both science and physical education but i feel that adding both will help students furthermore because not only will they learn but they will be able to asssociate how certain aspects of science can be interpreted with not only our daily lives but in the way that we move, excersice, and do other physical activity. We are walking science. 

Brooke Gray Brooke Gray 445 Points

Hello! I am also a teacher candidate and have thought about the question you are asking about. I think that it is very possible to integrate science and physical education, however I am thinking about a physical activity that goes along with the science content. For example, in one of college courses (it was a teaching biology in education I believe) we went outside for the class and participated in a game that was created clearly for the content of learning. In this game, there were a select group of students who were predators (one of the students to start) and the rest were deer. Our professor would give us a type of phyiscal activity (like skipping, jogging, hopping, etc.) that we had to perform and make it from one group of cones to the cones that were placed on the other side of the grass area. The predators had to 'kill' the students who were the deers by tagging them and then the deer who was killed would become a predator. The goal was to show how over population of a certain species can cause issues and how eliminating the food source can effect the predators and such.

Kaya Edwards Kaya Edwards 2365 Points

Hello! I'm Kayla, a pre-service teacher/student at the University of Northern Iowa. I personally think that with the right creative activities or experiments, any subject can be integrated into science lessons! Movement should be integrated into student's days no matter where the teacher decides to imput it. In Engineering, students could create games or objects that move, requiring students to move as well. In life science, students could study the human body by creating a dance or song to review the names of our bones. There are many ways to integrate movement into science, I hope this was beneficial to you!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers