Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Hands-On Learning

Elementary Science

Hands-On Learning

Author Post
Kaila Wright Kaila Wright 660 Points

What are some of your favorite hands-on science activites for lower level elementary(K-2)?

Blake Alexander Blake Alexander 520 Points

A kindgarten hands-on science activity could be creating a plant with art crafts and labeling the parts of a plant. A first grade hands-on science activitiy is creating a water cycle poster. A second grade hands-on science activity is interactive science notebook. With the notebook, the students can write about all the fun science experiments done in the classroom.

Brielle Davis Brielle Davis 480 Points

Hands-on science activities encourages the children to do something – observe, ask questions, touch, smell, experiment. This allows children to really get into science gives them the chance to make discoveries on their own. They'll be more likely to remember a learning experience as well. One of my favorite projects are 'Which Food Will Mold The Fastest?' Students have to find out what type of food do you think will mold the fastest when placed in a cabinet together and what type of food will go bad first? When you think of dairy foods, you think most of these require refrigeration. When put to the test along with bread and bananas, which will mold the quickest? It is important to know as some molds can make you very sick if eaten.

Brielle Davis 

Hannah Brumley Hannah Brumley 2235 Points

What I have seen throughout my experience of being in the classrooms in a variety of different activities. One is shaving cream rain clouds where you put shaving cream into a cup on the water then add food coloring on top. You wait and see the food coloring going through the shaving cream. Another one was the color changing flower experiment is where you get to see that see the white flower change into the color of food coloring you put into the water. They talked about how food coloring got up to the flower because of the stem. The last one I saw was going along with plants and flowers. The class talked about growing plants and they got to help plant there own little seed, water their seed, and put it in sunlight. There a lot of other experiments that would work wonders. These are the only science experiments I have seen so far throughout my field experiences.

Karla Garzon Karla Garzon 1000 Points

One of may favorite hands-on activity to do with students is Oobleck. The could get the chance to make the experiment and it deals with liquid, solid and viscosity. It is a great way for the students to learn because they get to feel the substance and the kids really enjoy it.

Another activity, I recommend is doing the 'Oil Spill experiement'. To teach students about pollution. So you could get a clear container and fill it up with water. Then use can use different items to 'pollute' the water like food coloring, dirt, vinegar, and etc. And while you are doing it, you can make a scenario and it really teaches the students, how water gets polluted so fast, just by something so simple.

Sebastian Benitez Sebastian Benitez 960 Points

One of my favorite hands-on activities I did when I was in Elementary School was planting and taking care of a plant. In the first grade, we were learning about parts of a plant and how we can take care of them. My teacher went with us outside and helped us plant the plant. As time passed by, we gave the plant water and checked that everything was okay. When the plant was growing, we then started to identify the parts of the plant and discuss why they are important for the plant.

Cassandra Bello Cassandra Bello 780 Points

I do believe hands-on learning helps students learn and enjoy the lesson and remember the lesson. Just as you did with taking care of plants in the first grade. Yes, assignments hands are important it helps students.

Stephany Colato Stephany Colato 765 Points

A hands- on learning that I enjoyed doing was one called ' Mouth Trap'

Students learn about adapting , it shows that animlas have specialized  mouthparts for the food they can eat. I remember  having like raisins, popcorn,  pretezel sticks  and gummy worms on the table each representing a type of aniimal a bird would eat . All of us would make our own version of a beak and we would notice that most beaks couldn'tpick all of the items but most . 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers