Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Lower Elementary Science

Early Childhood

Lower Elementary Science

Author Post
Alyssa Busbee Alyssa Busbee 230 Points

Hello everyone!

My name is Alyssa and I am currently working towards my masters in teaching at the University of Arkansas. I am so excited to be learning more about teaching science in the elementary grades and hope more than anything to be able to land a teaching job in upper elementary science. However, what I was wondering is how to better implement science in the lower grades when time is often very limited for subjects other than reading and writing. I know it does occur but in my own field experience classrooms I have not been exposed much to science in grades K-3. What are some engaging lessons that are simple enough yet still meaningful for the lower grades. And, what do you do if your school's curriculum chooses not to focus much on science yet you realize the importance and want to implement it more into your own classroom? 

Eryn Hines Eryn Hines 570 Points

Hello! I am currently working towards an initial teaching certification in Early Childhood Education. At my particular fieldwork/internship placement school this semester in Kindergarten, my mentor teacher has expressed that they most likely will not have time during the school year to set aside a period for science. To compensate for this, she incorporates science into other subjects throughout the day. For example, during independent reading, this past week the students have been reading about senses and how we use them. Throughout the day my mentor teacher reminds students of certain science vocabulary related to senses. For example, 'Use your sense of touch to explore our math manipulatives...', or 'Using your sense of smell, what do you think the cafeteria has for lunch today'?

I hope this helps!

Bola Ogunbayode Bola ogunbayode 1695 Points

I agree with a handful of the replies, I think fussing science into reading and writing will be a great way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Read a book about weather, parts of the body, various types of soil, plants and animals. This could be read alouds or independent reading. play a video about various season or have student write about their favorite seasons. provide books in class which are non fiction books related to science as well.

Akeili Hawkins Akeili Hawkins 1985 Points

Hi Alyssa!

I am also a preservice teacher and have seen first hand how teachers try to incorporate science into other subjects, just like others have replied. It is very easy to incorporate in literacy I have found. I think this is because you can find great children's books to base experiments off of. The children love to do things from their favorite books! It is also pretty easy to use science in a math lesson, of course because you use a lot of math in science.

Sydney Stringer Sydney Stringer 180 Points

Hi Alyssa! I am also a preservice teacher, but in what I have observed, teachers sometimes do literacy type work with science subjects. In a kindergarten class I was in, the teacher did a read aloud and it was regarding weather and then the students got to draw weather and explain why it happens according to the book. I think even if the school does not have a science curriculum there are sneaky ways to get it in your classroom! I hope that helps!

Terri Worrel Terri Worrel 675 Points

You can creatively incorporate science in many themes.  My favorite kindergarten was metamorphosis.  We did an Eric Carle unit so we read The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  Instead of just reading the story and doing an activity, I also brought in manipulatives of the different stages that they could touch and feel.  I also took the kids on a nature walk to see if we saw any signs of the various stages.  The more you can teach them through exploration rather than just telling, the better.

Joanne Park Joanne Park 685 Points

Hey, Alyssa.

I have read and seems teacher incoorporting litercy time and science together since in primary grade, they focus more on literacy and math. You could read a books that are related to science, like books about moon, nonfiction book is always good book for science. We all know that they put language art and math focus before content, but there are many ways that you can teach content through literacy and math time as well. I hope this helps!

Jessica Jauregui Jessica Jauregui 1433 Points

Hi Alyssa! This is a great question. I do think that there are ways to incorporate science lessons even in the younger grades. I find it can be implemented in reading and literacy circles as well! It's all about finding creative ways to make it work. I am sure you will find some great resources on this site. 

Lisa Lang Lisa Lang 1703 Points

I am a preservice teacher learning to teach science in the younger grades. I am loving the creative aspect. For example, right now I'm keeping an eye on the Monarch butterfly population migrating to Mexico. Journeynorth.org is a great digital resource. Traveling Butterflies by Susumu Shingu is a beautiful book you could use as a readaloud. Then incorporate your math and/or literacy activities under the guise of a 'butterfly theme' and sneak in the science angle of butterfly migration. It's the perfect timing for this with the migration currently in progress. Some are already arriving in Mexico!

Chonita Clayborne Chonita Clayborne 915 Points

Alyssa, I once worked with a teacher who brought science into her class by making all of her class trips science-based, so we went to the local community garden and were allowed to plant flowers there, we went to the farm, and the aquarium as well. After each trip, we would do an activity around that trip and the teacher would incorporate the trips into whatever lessons she was teaching for the week. We also would grow plants in the window in our classroom and put science books in our classroom library. 

Joanne Park Joanne Park 685 Points

Hello,

I am pre-service teacher too!

What my mentor and other teacehrs do is they will read the book relate to the sciecne topic and simply read the book as read alound during  literacy time. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers