Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Using Videos in Chem Class

Chemistry

Using Videos in Chem Class

Author Post
Rebecca Falin Rebecca Falin 71530 Points

Great resource! I'm going to have to do some exploring. I like videos in the 3-8 minute range to introduce a topic, spark discussion or demonstrate something you cannot do yourself due to safety or lack of equipment. I often use the Ted Ed videos as bell ringers to start a class. PBS Learning Media has some good ones too.

Gwendolyn Huggins Gwendolyn Huggins 1060 Points

When I use videos they are very small clips and we stop and have a discussion. It keeps students alert not knowing when you will call on them. The videos always pertain to the topic and sometimes I use as an introduction to the unit.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Many of my students like to use Khan Academy for direct explicit instruction. As they will tell you these video tell you what to do but not why it is done that way. I have also found that his use of arrows is flawed. He is often moving one electron at a time wen the use of curved arrows to show mechanism should indicate the flow of electron pairs. If students are not aware of this it can lead to serious confusion between homolytic and heterolytic b ond cleavage. Bottom line here is that I am now vetting the Khan academy videos and linking the "good" ones to my online resources.

Naomi Beverly Naomi Beverly 19130 Points

Pamela-- It's pretty impressive that you caught the little things that can lead to misconceptions in students (or others) who are using this resource to learn. Did you send a friendly email, or are you just referring students elsewhere to access tutor sites? All the best, Naomi Beverly

Interactive: Tales from the Poisoner's Handbook http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/interactive/poisoners-tales/ Follow forensic chemist Alexander Gettler and chief medical examiner Dr. Charles Norris through 1920s New York City as they help solve crimes with groundbreaking forensic science. Using four case studies of lethal poisons, you can find the visual evidence, chemical trails, and supporting evidence to uncover the truth and learn some basics about biochemistry – the impact of poisons on the human body. Watch the video on what this is and how it works.

Rebecca Falin Rebecca Falin 71530 Points

Deborah Blum, author of the Poisoner's Handbook, also has a Ted Ed video that would go great with that entitled Early forensics and crime-solving chemists. I used it at the beginning of the school year.

Jessie Minter Jessie Minter 1895 Points

i have been looking for good forensic activities for students. I welcome this one. I will reply after I have tried it in my class of "tough adolscents!"

One of the concepts that gives my students fits is distinguishing between subscripts and coefficients in writing ionic equations. I was looking for an animation that clearly shows ionic compounds separating into individual ions. I can find NaCl everywhere but this does not work as it does not help with the coefficient subscript confusion. I also looked at PhET but there they are talking about equilibria of sparingly soluble salts to this does not really work either. Any other suggestions?

Austin Arredondo Austin Arredondo 1540 Points

As repetitive as this sounds, TED.com is a great place to search for science videos that could and will be used in different lectures...

I love this video on ow to use PhET with clickers for more active learning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsETuPSBWMs

John Bouck posted a link to some videos he created for AP Chem. I thought I would share the link here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKaBSCoqWOEIFFqsKPniwiQ

Kathy Jenkins Kathy Jenkins 885 Points

Although I'm not a chemistry teacher, I've been looking at our high school chemistry teacher as he starts blending/flipping his classroom instruction. He made his own videos (keeping them shorter than 15 minutes) and has them for each lesson. The students go home and watch them, or they can watch them in class. The students like the relaxed conversational approach and the chance to watch them as many times as necessary. This particular teacher is implementing a mastery learning approach and the data is looking good. I may try this for a couple of units as a test run next year. I'd be interested in how others are implementing this type of approach.

Kathy- We've begun limited flipping at my level (upper elementary) in my school. Our constraints include being a Title I school where everyone doesn't have access to the technology and/or strong parental support in their homes to make flipping successful. However, I have several friends who work in schools where technology is not an issue, and they are having success with the concept, even at elementary levels. All the best! Naomi Beverly

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

I like to use PBS's NOVA series in my classroom. In particular, I like the Making Stuff Series and Hunting the Elements. Depending on the year, I will use clips of these shows or we some times will watch video in its entirety. I do find that clips work best because students do not have as much to digest. I like that I can stream the videos from the internet. I post the URL on my online planbook so students can share the video with their families. Typically, I will give students reading guide to help them as they watch the video.

I also like to use clips from NOVA ScienceNow as introductions to new concepts. In the past, I have used the clip Cooking with Chemicals.

Jessie Minter Jessie Minter 1895 Points

Thank you! I will access this and use it. They help me advance my own content knowledge as well.

Adah- I think on of the best ways to use videos in a whole group setting in during the engage portion of the class (using the 5E lesson planning template [Engage, Explore, Explain, Extend, Evaluate). For students who need to accelerate or remediate, they're great to use in conjunction with tutor sites such as Khan Academy. Naomi Beverly

I have often noticed that when I show videos students are not truly engaged. Watching is rather passive. It helps if I preface the video with short introduction that helps orient students to what is important and what they should pay attention to.

Pamela- I agree that videos that are too long or over using videos can be detrimental. However, for visual learners like myself and many of the sped students I teach, they are life savers in conjunction with appropriate instruction. Naomi

Tiffany Williams Tiffany Williams 1665 Points

For the most part, since I am a student teacher I have been seeing a lot of "Brain Pop" videos being used in the science classes. Brain pop videos are okay if you use it to sum up what was taught, but not to use in place of the lesson all together. - Tiffany

Tiffany-- We use Brainpop.com or brainpopjr. com to engage (generally) but certainly only as a small piece of the lesson. All the best as you move forward! Naomi Beverly

Sarah Perkins Sarah Perkins 3165 Points

I have used Brain Pop in lessons before and have seen them be used to summarize or introduce a topic but I would never use them as a way to teach the whole lesson. Although I do like using videos to get the students interested -Sarah Perkins

Michael Gerage Michael Gerage 100 Points

Hi there! I think you hit upon a good thing by using online videos. If you look on Youtube, you will see numerous video especially from Khan Academy that really offer a means of reinforcement for content area subject matter first learned in class. I would argue that these videos are an invaluable aid to both teachers and students when learning complex topics. Would love a response

Michael- Videos are invaluable to me, also. In conjunction with all the other lesson components, they can really help solidify a concept or clear up a misconception...or even just be a really engaging way to explain a boring or confusing concept. All the best, Naomi Beverly

Joni Ingram Joni Ingram 1705 Points

I teach high school Physical Science and started out with the chemistry section. I have enjoyed using the Bozeman Science videos. They are very easy for my students to understand and have great examples. I also love the Nottingham University videos on each element. Very informative.

Covalent verses Ionic Bonds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DjsD7Hcd9U

Nottingham University:
http://www.periodicvideos.com

Jasmine Aguilera Jasmine Aguilera 1290 Points

You could use videos to engage the students in the topic that will be covered. Something else you could do to incorporate videos in your lesson would be to use a video to model what the students will be doing. There are actually a lot of ways you can incorporate a video in your lesson you just have to be sure it flows well and it is not just a random video. Hope this helps! -Jasmine

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers