Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Halloween Demos

Chemistry

Halloween Demos

Author Post
Sulekha Bhasin Sulekha Bhasin 3055 Points

Simple and safe Halloween demos , Can anyone help

Micola Mitchell Micola Mitchell 975 Points

This activity is very exspensive. Did you by chance purchase this?

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

There is an active discussion on this topic currently on the listserve. The recommendation there is a resource from Flynn http://www.flinnsci.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=14574 Just a personal note. When I use demonstrations, I do my best to connect these to science. I think too often we use demonstrations to get attention without taking the next step to connect the demo. I agree that demos are a great way to engage students but I often have trouble myself connecting the demo to the science. Somethings students are just too distracted with the spectacle and forget that there is science going on.

Joni Ingram Joni Ingram 1705 Points

Of course, dry ice demonstration (phases of matter)from solid to gas.
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/awesome-dry-ice-experiments

Rebecca Falin Rebecca Falin 71530 Points

I know I'm late here, but I like Flinn's Reappearing Pumpkin and I tie it to oxidation-reduction reactions with my AP students....

http://www.flinnsci.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=16235

Michael Roche Michael Roche 165 Points

Thank you for this suggestion.  I have always liked this demo and the seasonal element makes it even more engaging.  Having a link to all the necessary materials was also helpful.

Jorge Ramos jorge ramos 2140 Points

The dry ice demonstration is one of my favorite ones. It is a great demo to introduce to children and also great visual for gatherings. If you don't mind the mess you can change it up a bit by carving a pumpkin and adding soap and water to the bottom. Then you can add the dry ice and see the bubbles come out of the pumpkins mouth. I have done this with my nephew and he loves it.

Michaela Aiello Michaela Aiello 330 Points

I love this pumpkin dry ice demonstration idea. It sounds like fun, and I know kids would really enjoy this demonstration. I would like to try this out sometime either with my future students or just on my own with my younger cousins.

Elizabeth Epstein elizabeth epstein 370 Points

that sounds like a great way to get attention, and make a fun connection to science

Arielle Gutierrez Arielle Gutierrez 995 Points

Great demos!

Rudi Luna Rudi Herrera 2200 Points

http://creeksidelearning.com/halloween-science-experiments/#_a5y_p=2476019 found a few Halloween inspired science fun!

Kourtney Fyffe Kourtney Fyffe 1185 Points

I find the brain pop website has such amazing and fun experiments for elementary!!!

Johana Montoya Johana Montoya 1345 Points

I agree especially for the younger children it is a great tool to integrate to a lesson for a hook!

Najah Hijazi Najah Hijazi 1365 Points

Cool demo!

Zulaika Reyes Zulaika Reyes 2615 Points

This activity is very exspensive. Did you by chance purchase this?

Jessica Pacheco Jessica Pacheco 1370 Points

Hi. there is an activity called melting candy. I think will be great to do with an experiment because it allows them with the opportunity to see what candy can melt with depending on what solution the students are using. http://lemonlimeadventures.com/dissolving-candy-pumpkins-halloween-science-kids/

Linda Ngo Linda Ngo 2775 Points

I like the idea of using the candy as one of the experiment to discover which one can melt. I have done something like this back in my elementary days, where we get to use marshmallow as one of the experiment.

Alison Lambright Alison Lambright 170 Points

My favorite is the "Exploding Pumpkin" or also called the "Self-Carving Pumpkin" You take a pumpkin and carve it in a very simple pattern (triangles and rectangles). After you're done, put all of the pieces back into their holes to make the pumpkin "look" like it's not carved. In the back where nobody can see, make a small hole large enough for a lit match to fit through (do not plug that one back). To make the pumpkin "carve itself", put an empty soda can with approximately 30 mL of water in it inside the pumpkin. Drop a small piece of calcium carbide into the can and replace the lid of the pumpkin. After about 30 minutes, place a lit match (8" stem or larger) in the back. As soon as the gas gets ignited, the pumpkin will explode from pressure buildup and all of the pieces that you carved before will fall out. This leaves you with a magic pumpkin! We do this every year at Halloween for the new classes and it's the most exciting part of the day!

My favorite is the "Exploding Pumpkin" or also called the "Self-Carving Pumpkin" You take a pumpkin and carve it in a very simple pattern (triangles and rectangles). After you're done, put all of the pieces back into their holes to make the pumpkin "look" like it's not carved. In the back where nobody can see, make a small hole large enough for a lit match to fit through (do not plug that one back). To make the pumpkin "carve itself", put an empty soda can with approximately 30 mL of water in it inside the pumpkin. Drop a small piece of calcium carbide into the can and replace the lid of the pumpkin. After about 30 minutes, place a lit match (8" stem or larger) in the back. As soon as the gas gets ignited, the pumpkin will explode from pressure buildup and all of the pieces that you carved before will fall out. This leaves you with a magic pumpkin! We do this every year at Halloween for the new classes and it's the most exciting part of the day!

I have no idea how I posted this three times, so I'm sorry! I don't know how to delete it.

Ingrid Alvarado Ingrid Alvarado 120 Points

The magical pumpkin project sounds amazing. I think that will be a fun project for my preschool kids to watch. I would like to practice it at home before doing it with the kids. Cool idea:)

Kyler Berg Kyler Berg 130 Points

Pre-Cut a jack-o-lantern, have a small reaction happen within the pumpkin that is quick and flashy. The reaction will pop the eyes, mouth, and nose out of the pumpkin! Better to do it in the dark!

Zeben Gorman Zeben Gorman 375 Points

Excellent ideas all around. I would want to do something like disprove the possibility a popular spooky halloween mainstay... but I wonder if disproving something fun would be more of a buzzkill than and exciting holiday treat...

Steven Autieri Steven Autieri 844 Points

Yes, the Steve Spangler Science Resources are very good and are extremely safe for students to handle.

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Steven, this is a good resource. I subscribe to his site so I get emails throughout the year with cool experiments.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers