Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Making Science Matter in Classrooms

Elementary Science

Making Science Matter in Classrooms

Author Post
Tania Torres Tania Torres 220 Points

In less than a year, I will be a new Elementry teacher! I am very excited and am looking forward to it very much. I have loved science ever since I was a child, but many times I feel so disheartened when I see how Science and Social Studies take a backseat to Reading and Writing. What was ways that I can make Science a staple in the classroom? What are ideas of ways in which I can slowly but surely help my students fall in love with Science and see it just as important?

Erica FUENTES Erica FUENTES 105 Points

I think you should try to always use hands on learning for science. I've observed too many times where a teacher would show a youtube video and then would give the students a worksheet and to me that is boring. Children are naturally very curious and I think that giving them opportunity to explore in science would make learing fun.

Sana Nazar Sana Nazar 480 Points

Hi, Tania!

I agree with Erica. Education, especially at the elementary level, should be fun and engaging. I would recommend to get the students involved in their learning as much as you are able to. There is an article on here by Carolyn Jeffires, called 'Activity Selection: It’s More Than the Fun Factor—An easy-to-use evaluation form to help select effective science activities'. It provides pretty good criteria that teachers can use when planning for an effective classroom lesson.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers