Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Earth Science Videos

Earth and Space Science

Earth Science Videos

Author Post
Cheska Robinson Cheska Lorena 5075 Points

Hello friends, I am searching for videos I can use in class to help reinforce Earth Science concepts, right now specifically Earth systems and Earth's interiors. Many of the students are visual, and I have only YouTube resources that are about 2-3 minutes long. I'm looking for free resources that I can use that last at least 5-10 minutes. What do you recommend? Thanks, Cheska (5th/6th Grade Sci)

Nichole Montague Nichole Montague 4675 Points

Aloha Cheska, I would like to recommend Discovery Education. There are numerous great video resources. I use it all the time in my science class. Check it out. There is a search feature where you can narrow down your search by grade level, topic and even type of resource. Beyond videos, there are other resources available as well. Check it out!

Nohelani Kobayashi Nohelani Kunishige 2060 Points

Hi! I have used PBS and Discovery Education videos with my students. I think sometimes, DIscovery Education is a little too complex for my students. So I really enjoy using Brainpop with my students. Brainpop can be used for students up to grades 6. I've only used Brainpop for students up to third grade, but they seem to love it. It uses cartoons to show how things work. Then after the students watch the videos, there is also a short quiz they can take. The only problem is that you need to suscribe to Brainpop. But you can get a free trial membership also. Brainpop also offers Brainpop Jr. for grades K-2, and Brainpop ELL.

Cheska Robinson Cheska Lorena 5075 Points

Thank you everyone for your quick and prompt responses. Do I have to pay for Discovery Education videos? It looks like I need a passcode to access video.

Sara Kinyon Sara Kinyon 2100 Points

Cheska, I use Bill Nye the Science Guy videos in my classroom all the time. The students LOVE them. If you go to http://www.gamequarium.org/dir/SqoolTube_Videos/ you can find almost all of his videos and you can also use http://www.moviesheets.com/ to find premade worksheets to go along with video to take notes. I have used the Bill Nye videos to introduce many new science concepts. It grabs the students attention and they seem to retain more from watching it. :)

Kendra Young Kendra Young 17180 Points

Cheska, Discovery does require a paid membership, but used to offer a free 30 day trial. That might help. Kendra

Cori Lyn Shikuma Cori Lyn Shikuma 1175 Points

I agree too, Discovery Ed is an awesome resource. Try checking with one of your resource teachers from district for your school, we got free membership for it and it make life so much easier, they have lots of Magic School Bus and Bill Nye videos that the students love to watch!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers