Forums

Forums / Life Science / Teaching About Evolution

Life Science

Teaching About Evolution

Author Post
Alyce Dalzell Alyce Dalzell 64075 Points

Hello,
I posted this comment on the Geology Thread and thought that teachers who visit the Teaching About Evolution thread may find this of interest! My district has recently told science teachers that we will begin teaching evolution in fall 2011 - many of us are excited, but we also have a few science instructors who are resisting unless they are allowed to address creationism. (Up until now it was an unwritten policy that entering any type of evolution discussion was off limits - but we could have books discussion the theory.)

NASA Astrobiology Institute recently funded and co-produced a podcast titled, 'Ediacaran Fauna Fossils', which is in the series One Specias at a Time.

In this episode a diverse group of organisms that lived in the world's oceans about 580 million years ago. Paleontologists explain how they are working to reconstruct this ancient ecosystem by studying fossils and shed light on the enduring evolutionary puzzle of how and why the first complex life forms arose.

Listen to the podcast at http://education.eol.org/podcast/ediacaran

Has anyone else located any good podcasts or videos that we could use in our classrooms about the discovery of ancient ecosystems and evolution of species?

Enjoy your week, Alyce

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Another great resource is the NSTA Tool Kit for Teaching Evolution. The e-book version is a free resource for NSTA members and costs $7.46 for non-members.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,
Thank you for the e-book suggestion. I just went to the product detail page and downloaded the book into My NSTA Library! I look forward to reading the material over break.

Enjoy your day, Alyce

Jackie Heinerikson Jackie 715 Points

I have had more passionate discussions with parents over environmental issues then evolution. A couple parents have asked me to explain how I teach evolution (I teach in a catholic high school) and have had one prospective family ask to review the textbook, but no real conflict. I have found the best way to put parent and student minds at rest is to start by listening to their concerns. The evidence that we all use to support the theory of evolution is not something most parents/students will take issue with. They just want to know that we are not grading their students on whether or not they "believe" in evolution, that is a personal choice. I want my students to understand the evidence and be able to discuss it intelligently, not necessarily say that they "believe" in evolution. Ongoing discussion is the best way to desensitize the issue. Thank you for starting this thread.

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

[i]Jackie wrote, “I have had more passionate discussions with parents over environmental issues then evolution. A couple parents have asked me to explain how I teach evolution (I teach in a catholic high school) and have had one prospective family ask to review the textbook, but no real conflict. I have found the best way to put parent and student minds at rest is to start by listening to their concerns. The evidence that we all use to support the theory of evolution is not something most parents/students will take issue with. They just want to know that we are not grading their students on whether or not they "believe" in evolution, that is a personal choice. I want my students to understand the evidence and be able to discuss it intelligently, not necessarily say that they "believe" in evolution. Ongoing discussion is the best way to desensitize the issue. Thank you for starting this thread.” [/i] Hello Jackie, You are right. It is always best to listen to the concerns of your parents first. You are completely correct that it is better for students to be able to evaluate the evidence, understand how that evidence is being interpreted, and discuss it. Students need to understand that you do not always have to agree with everyone, but open and honest dialogue is always important. What are some ways that you have this dialogue with your students?

by Jackie Heinerikson, Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:38 PM
I have had more passionate discussions with parents over environmental issues then evolution. A couple parents have asked me to explain how I teach evolution (I teach in a catholic high school) and have had one prospective family ask to review the textbook, but no real conflict. I have found the best way to put parent and student minds at rest is to start by listening to their concerns. The evidence that we all use to support the theory of evolution is not something most parents/students will take issue with. They just want to know that we are not grading their students on whether or not they 'believe' in evolution, that is a personal choice. I want my students to understand the evidence and be able to discuss it intelligently, not necessarily say that they 'believe' in evolution. Ongoing discussion is the best way to desensitize the issue. Thank you for starting this thread.

Hi Jackie,
I agree that it is important to communicate with parents on how the theory of evolution will be taught and to ensure parents understand that students on not graded on their personal beliefs, but rather on their understanding of the theory. I think many times parents are concerned about evolution instruction because they aren't sure what is being taught. By opening up the lines of communication, we give them an opportunity to understand what their children will learn and they also have a chance to openly discuss any concerns.

I have a friend who is a college biology professor. He begins his lecture on evolution with the following statement: 'Do you believe in gravity?' of course the students all chuckle because there's nothing really to 'believe' in with gravity...it just is. He uses this framework to present his unit on evolution. We do not 'believe' in evolution. Rather, we understand that it is a theory that explains the progression of life on our planet as evidenced by the fossil record. I had never really thought about teaching evolution in these terms, but I found his method to be very interesting.

This is great discussion. I look forward to reading more perspectives!

Maureen

by Adah Stock, Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:13 AM
What other evidence shoulod we as teachers provide students with so that the concept of evolution appears as a body of evidence and not just from fossils?

Hi Adah,
While it's critical to use the fossil record while teaching about evolution, there are many other bodies of evidence that we can provide our students with as we teach this theory. Here are a few:

1. similarity among vertebrate embryos
- while vertebrate adult forms are distinctly different, it is virtually impossible to distinguish vertebrate embryos. Teachers can show students pictures of human, fish, elephant, etc. embryos to demonstrate the similarities

2. homology (a structure in two or more species that can be traced to a common origin)
- it is important to highlight that this means common skeletal structure, not necessarily common function

3. vestigial organs (organs that remain after their original function is lost)
- provide indication of biological modification and change.

Maureen

Elizabeth Dalzell-Wagers Elizabeth Dalzell 9945 Points

Maureen and group, Maureen - I couldn't agree with your 3 examples more! I use all three of those, and am a huge fan of teaching Evolution! I have been waiting for 4 years to be able to teach this topic. I have attached some resources that I have read and thought were great. I also purchased a book called "Not in My Classroom, Why Creationism should not be taught in the Classroom" I couldn't find the book on the NSTA site, but I purchased the book from their bookstore. It is a great book, if you are looking for statements to support your teaching of evolution, and also gives you plenty of court cases that support you and your journey. Also Galapagos: An Inquiry into Biological Evolution (Student Field Log) is a great resource, I purchased this last month at the NSTA Conference in Nashville and am thrilled. There are awesome reproducible to use with the students. I love the book Orgin of Species and am going to read bits and pieces to my students for the 2 week unit. Does anyone have individual lessons they have done or PowerPoint’s they have created? I know the finches’ beak, and hair brush labs. They were both fun labs that we did in HS. Thanks Liz

Attachments

Hi Liz, Can you post the ISBN of the books you mentioned? I'm always looking for additional resources (and I must admit,I'm a bit of a book hound! :) ). Thanks! Maureen

Hello Readers,
I love browsing through websites that have been posted on various threads or listserv discussions! The hours fly...

Today I visited a new site that I 'heard' about on the NSTA Biology Listserv. It is titled, 'Evolution and the Nature of Science Institutes'.

The site is a collection of classroom lessons to help high school biology teachers more effectively teach basic concepts in the areas of evolution and the nature of science. They were developed and tested during nine years of summer institutes by biology teachers from across the nation.

ENSI is partially funded by NSF and the GEMS program. You can also sign up for monthly newsletters.

I was in awe of the number and depth of lessons and resources. If you are interested in or teach evolution you may want to take a peak at this site.

Enjoy, Alyce

Hi Adah, Maureen and Group, Adah - I am in the same district as Alyce Dalzell mentioned above. Our school board and district have been very slow to even hear the idea. Now that the state of CO has actually put the word Evolution in our standards we are able to teach the concept. Maureen - I will pull the ISBN's when I get home tonight, what a great idea, I didn't even think about putting those on here. Thanks Liz

Hi Group, I was a little off on the title, "Not In Our Classrooms, Why Intelligent Design is Wrong for Our Schools" ISBN: 978-080703278-7 Science, Evolution, and Creationism ISBN: 978-0-309-10586-6 Thanks Liz

Katherine Willet Katherine Zimmerman 21340 Points

I have a quick SMARTBoard activity I do with my students. I have a variety of homologous structures, although I am looking for better pictures, and I have the groups analyze and discuss which order they think the structures would have developed in. Each group shares their thoughts and then we discuss how evolutionists look at homologous structures to understand what is related and how organisms developed. Like I said, I am trying to find better pictures, but this is what I have so far.

Hi Group, Adah - thanks so much for starting this thread :) Katherine - I love this activity, what a great idea. I was just give a SmartBoard to use this year and love it! Thanks so for sharing this activity.

Katherine Willet Katherine Zimmerman 21340 Points

Elizabeth, Put each picture in individually and then have the students come up and move them into the "correct" order of evolution. They get so excited about it and they love coming up and rearranging what the previous group thought was the order. It sparks some very interesting debates amongst the students. I would also recommend setting up a Punnet Square for genetics and allowing the students to move things around on the SMARTBoard. I was shocked at how much better the students did at understanding the use of Punnet Squares to make predictions because of how engaged they were by being able to come up to the SMARTBoard to manipulate the alleles. It is like a video game; they love it!

Therese Houghton Therese Houghton 7210 Points

Why not provide both sides of the argument and let the students decided what they believe? It is a theory, which is not on the same level as the Law of Gravity.We cannot use it to predict future events. There doesn't have to be an all or nothing position on teaching evolution. I attached an NSTA book chapter on the subject. As teachers we are charged with disseminating information; what people believe is entirely up to them.

Attachments

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

I like how you put that, Therese; we are disseminators of information, and more importantly, facilitators of learning and thinking. It is imperative, is it not, to provide opportunities for our students to study the research in order to inform and question their own positions on various theories? I thought I would attach the URL for the other similar discussion thread going on about The Creation of the Universe.... It is in the Earth and Space Science Discussion Forum. Thanks, Maureen for already connecting this discussion thread to that one.
Carolyn

Dorian Janney Dorian Janney 10505 Points

As I was reviewing some collections that were posted by other educators, I came across this collection of six articles that focuses on many aspects of this topic. http://learningcenter.nsta.org/share.aspx?id=W7jiewdqOO

Dorian Janney Dorian Janney 10505 Points

I just came upon yet another collection related to this topic. Some of the journal articles are the same, but there are additional resources as well. http://learningcenter.nsta.org/share.aspx?id=V4I8W1pDp5

Chester Orban Chester Orban 2310 Points

Have You Ever Had to Deal with Parents, Administrators, or other groups to justify your teaching of evolution? If so please describe the event and the resolution of that concern. I am commenting on the above question, which is part 2 of the original strand of questions. NOTE: I relatively new to this forum so if I am out of line jumping back to to original, let me konw. As you know the 150 anniversay of Darwin's "On the Origin of Species", was November 2009. For several months I had visited virtyally every staff member of my school (60) and asked them if we could a celebration week. I managed to get the entire school involved. Exampls: Art dedigned and mad up t shirts, Graphic Arts Blew up giant pictures of Darwin, cover of the book, and students drew individual drawings of amimals to make a giant tree of life on a large wall outside the library. Social studies was great, as they showed sections or all of the video on "Intelligent Design on Trial". I showed parts of "What Darwin never new". English paralleled stories and books that were written during the time of the release of the book, and the Administration seemed happy. At the last minute, hours before we were to show the Intelligent design video, the principal, (with the advice of the Professional Development Coordinator) nixed the general showing of the video in the auditorium. They had asked to see the video, which I had a personal copy. It only took them a week to see it.. Needless to say, I was extraordinarily upset. I refused to talk the the PD coordinator for some time. The time I put into the project was extensive, and I felt I had been submarined at the last moment. The specific reasons given for their attitude were: "Too contriversial", the information might upset individauls in the town. Fortunately, it was a success overall, and about 35 students won t shirts with darwin logo by answering questions that were asked over the intercom at the beginning of each day. NOTE: No one asked me to plan this "Interdepartmental Activity". It was all done on my own time. The week included many other interdepartmental activities, too much to list here. Best Regards Chet

John Hoopman John Hoopman 6250 Points

Evolution: Fossils, Genes, and Mousetraps was released for free for educators two years ago by HHMI.

Hello,
I found a news article posted on NSTA's home page, 'Bill in Texas Legislature Would Protect Students and Professors Who Question Evolution' that was published in The Chronicle of Higher Education on 3/20/11.

Many of us are teaching in states that view and follow what the state of Texas does in the education field before their state jumps on board. This bill would prohibit public colleges in Texas from discriminating against students and professors for studying intelligent design and other ideas that disagree with the theory of evolution under a bill introduced in the State Legislature.

Click on the link to NSTA's home page and scroll to the bottom of the page to take you to the complete article.

Alyce

Zachary Kellams Zachary Kellams 20 Points

Hi all! I am trying to develop a curriculum unit that deals with the topic of evolution (by means of natural selection). One thing that I am having particular difficulty in coming up with is an inquiry activity for the topic. To clarify, my unit is more or less dealing with the role that natural selection plays in the theory of evolution. It is not about the history/evidence of evolution. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

Nicole Weber Nicole Lofgren 2880 Points

Thank you for all of these resources. I get stuck on this unit. We spend alot of time going over evolution, but I have trouble with resources beyond the teddy grahm lab while teaching it.

Douglas DeGennaro Douglas DeGennaro 160 Points

I always like to explain to students that this a theory. I widely excepted theory but a theory. They don't have to believe it but they should focus on the evidence that is presented and then formulate an opinion. Doug

Kathryn Mattila Kathryn Mattila 2625 Points

I taught and am planning to teach Earth's history and evolution last year. In the unit, I try to tie it together with the other units that we did throughout the year. The information that I present to my students is by looking at the structure of various living organisms, fetuses, DNA, and adaptations. The kids always enjoy the topic of whales ancestry when we talk about their adaptations and how they returned to the sea. I explain to them that this is a theory and here is all the evidence that scientist have found.

Kendra Young Kendra Young 17180 Points

Hi Everyone, I've read this thread with interest and have enjoyed reading the many resource and stories. Thanks to all who have shared. I taught life science in the deep south, known to locals as the "buckle of the bible belt" and have never had an issue with parents or students. Part of that success, I think, was what others have already pointed out - having a respect for all beliefs, encouraging open discussion, and the willingness to sit quietly while others share their viewpoints. I think it was Maureen who shared the gravity example, that's always a good one to point out. I've also always made a point to say, "This is a great time for you to really sit down with your parents and have a real discussion about what your family believes. I would also encourage you to take time with your family to compare religious beliefs with the theory of evolution and look for areas where they agree, rather than only focusing on where they disagree." I've been impressed over the years at how many students actually did this and came back with to let me know how the conversation with their families went. The feedback has always been positive. And as others have already pointed out, it's so important to keep your opinions to yourself. We are truly disseminators of information. I think remaining open and objective is the best way to approach the entire discussion. Thanks everyone!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers