Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Integrated Curriculum

General Science and Teaching

Integrated Curriculum

Author Post
Kevin Newman Kevin Newman 610 Points

Is there any research out there that gives the pros and cons for having an integrated systems based curriculum rather than having each of the disciplines taught in a vacum seperate form each other? I am looking to integrate my physical science class with the biology class since this is the way it really is in life rather than having artificial seperations. Before I can do that though I need to find some research to present to the administration and school board. Any help in this regards would be greatly appreciated.

I found this one so far that is close to what I am looking for but not quite there. Gives me some ideas though. http://lawrencehallofscience.org/gss/index.html Kevin

Ann Allison Cooke Allison Cooke 6550 Points

Take a look at the Project 2061 materials, the Benchmarks. The NSDL Science Literacy Maps show clear connections between different strands of science topics. For example, under weather, the benchmarks include information on energy, human use of the land and water, internal and external Earth structures (like volcanoes), and the chemistry of air and water. Their motto is:
NSDL is the Nation's online library for education and research in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics.

It might help show the connections between topic areas.
Let us know how it is going. This is a fascinating idea. And change is hard to implement.
Best of luck.
Allison Cooke

This is what I am getting at. Science is not in reality split up into separate sections. We can't honestly teach biology without chemistry, earth science, physical science, etc to explain the variations in the life forms found on the planet. It seems to me that the way to teach science so that our students really get a grasp on it would be for all the parts to be taught together rather than separately and in separate years even and expecting our students to completely grasp what we are teaching them. It is no wonder that so many students wouldn't pass a 12th grade exit exam. Too many things shoved into too short of a time for them to grasp let alone retain.

Donald Boonstra Donald Boonstra 8585 Points

Kevin, It may be a little dated (1989) for your purposes but Heidi Hayes Jacobs' "Interdisciplinary Curriculum: Design and Implementation" might be useful. You also may want to see if she has anything more recent.

One of the "beefs" I have with the traditional textbooks presently available from publishers is that they skim the top of too many subjects while not really providing any real in-depth learning about any one topic. I always tell my students that "I am here to teach you How to Think, Not What to Think". Near as I can determine from my limited teaching time herethe textbooks are attempting to teach our students what to think. What happened to them needing critical thinking skills? I think that when we can't go in-depth into any subject we lose the critical thinking. Just skimming doesn't give them enough knowledge to honestly know what questions to ask. Let alone where to possibly go to begin searching for the answers. These are all great resources so far and I am passing them on to my school board and Office of Public Instruction. Hopefully I am able to change a few minds in the powers that be and can get an integrated curriculum that actually serves to educate my students. Kevin

Therese Houghton Therese Houghton 7210 Points

Hi Kevin, Here's a link to the journal "Science", where you can perform an advanced search to gather data to bolster your position with your administrators. http://www.sciencemag.org/search?site_area=sci&y=8&x=41&fulltext=integrated%20science%20curriculum%20&submit=yes Also, as you probably know, the Japanese use a curriculum which is integrative. It is project-based and is directed towards in-depth science learning through thematic lessons.There has been great interest in this teaching methodology because of the success of Japanese and Asian students in science. I would suggest a google search incorporating the key terms like, "chemistry AND biology AND Physics AND educational intergration AND evidence". The conjuction AND has to be used to link key terms to search to get the best result.Is this how you have been searching?

I am looking at http://www.kendallhunt.com/bscsinquiry/ This seems to be pretty close to what I am looking for. It especially isn't an inch deep and mile wide. Now if I can get k-6 to actually teach science. Does anyone have experience with this one?

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

by Kevin Newman, Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:25 AM
Is there any research out there that gives the pros and cons for having an integrated systems based curriculum rather than having each of the disciplines taught in a vacum seperate form each other?

Hi Kevin,

The Small Schools Project website has various links with information on the pros and cons of integrated curriculum, how to integrate curriculums, and has an extensive reading list that links to the research that has been conducted on integrated curriculums. While the information doesn't specifically address integrating physical science and biology, I think you will find the resources helpful.
Good Luck!

Maureen

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers