Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Identifying Body Parts

Early Childhood

Identifying Body Parts

Author Post
Catherine Spitzer Catherine Spitzer 2250 Points

Students need to be able to identify and label the general different parts of the body. These include head, shoulders, belly, hips, legs, arms, elbows, knees, hands, and feet. The students need to know these and be able to identify them because when something hurts they need to be able to tell someone what hurts.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92246 Points

Hi Catherine, My children loved making life-size paper models of themselves and labeling the different parts of their bodies on them. The teacher used huge rolls of butcher and white paper; one child would lie down on the paper, and the other child would trace around the outside of the top half of the child. The teacher would do the bottom half so as to be mindful to steer clear of "delicate" or "sensitive" areas. Kids would also have fun adding hair, faces, clothes, etc. I am thinking that the teacher might have a classroom set of labels that would be required of each picture. Carolyn

Linda Ngo Linda Ngo 2775 Points

If you were to teach Preschool, you can have them to sing heads, shoulders, knees and toes. For Kindergarten or 1st grade, you can have students to watch the video of the body parts. Here are the videos you can show them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkHQ0CYwjaI

You could also trace every student's body by having them lay on a long white paper. Then, make a line next to each body part for students to label.

Samantha Coyle Samantha Coyle 2245 Points

I'm not sure it covers ALL the body parts you want, but this website presents material in a variety of game types. http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/health_games_body_parts.html Might be fun to use as a whole group because of young age.

Gabriela Martinez Gabriela Martinez 310 Points

A good activity for this topic is having the kids trace themselves and using their own body to label the body party you want them to specifically learn swell as others. This is a great different way to interact the students and makes things a little bit more personal. Great project for them to decorate and take home and always have available to review from!

Gabriela Martinez Gabriela Martinez 310 Points

A good activity for this topic is having the kids trace themselves and using their own body to label the body party you want them to specifically learn swell as others. This is a great different way to interact the students and makes things a little bit more personal. Great project for them to decorate and take home and always have available to review from!

Maria Santacruz Maria Santacruz 375 Points

There are different activities that can be implemented and the implementing a song is the best way that children learn and also have fund.

Austin Eickleberry Austin Eickleberry 120 Points

Arlene, I really enjoyed the body parts song! I saved it and hope to use this in my classroom! Thanks for sharing!

Christina Guerra Christina Guerra 1500 Points

I like to use the head, shoulders. knees and toes song for young students. In addition to the traditional lyrics, the website starfall.com added an extra lyric that went " fingers, elbows, hips and ankles, hips and ankles", "hair and cheeks and chin and neck". It also provided a video that the children could follow along with, great website for young children.

That sounds very interesting... I'm going to look it up.

Kiara Garcia Kiara Garcia 1170 Points

Hi, I have also seen the head, shoulders, knees, and toes song to help children identify body parts. I have also seen a life size child where they can write what hurts on a thinking bubble and circle the part on the body! it truly works with small children.

I have seen something similar to your post on one of the video.

Ana Pena Ana Pena 1245 Points

This sounds like a great idea for students in Kinder or 1st grade. I am student teacher for 1st grade and in my classroom there are a couple of students who are really shy and don't talk much at all.

Samantha Coyle Samantha Coyle 2245 Points

There are some songs that can help with the very basics - Head, Shoulders, Knees, & Toes, & there is also one called All of Me (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/189573465540310517/). These two hit on some major areas of the body, but not all that you mentioned. I really like the idea that someone mentioned above about making a trace of their own body (life-size), & labeling the parts. This may or may not work depending on what age/grade you are hoping to focus on. Similar to this is making more of a class identification chart I suppose you would call it (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/335870084685270727/). It could easily be used as a bulletin board or up on a poster to refer to during Circle Time, where they could sing songs to practice learning the different areas of the body.

Tiffany Smith Tiffany Smith 1350 Points

I believe students should know their body parts and i think one way to do this for younger children is to introduce body parts by using the Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes song. For very young children, the sound of music excites them which means that using the song to get them motivated about learning their body parts rather than just telling them" This is your head, these are your eyes". Also reading a book about body parts helps students understand their own body parts.

I think this idea is good for pre-kindergarten. Reading a book is also a better idea for students to learn about body parts as well.

Vivian Vega Vivian Vega 1215 Points

What could also help is when you have the students trace their body on a big piece of butcher paper and then label it with them while also pointing at those body parts with them to give them a visual of where it actually is on the body. I think someone above mentioned something like this too.

Victoria Rodriguez Victoria Alvarez 1215 Points

I completely agree with you in the fact that children do need to know their body parts. Especially the younger ones since they are always getting hurt. You can also draw a body on the board and give the students some sticky notes and label the body. They would really be excited to go up there and put a sticky note on the board.

KIm Nguyen Kim Nguyen 1005 Points

I think a terrific way of teaching body parts is the good song of "head, shoulder, knees and toes", children enjoy being active and this song allows them to touch various body parts while saying their names. You could change it up to include other body parts too and just use the same tune. I would even take it further by possibly making a flip chart where students could "place" various body parts on a template of a body. My students love flip chart activities.

I definitely agree

Sarah Lenderman Sarah Lenderman 780 Points

The tracing of the body is really great. Having them work in groups to complete that can be cool. Even taking the lesson outside and having them trace themselves with chalk and then labeling their drawing is great too. Im all for creating your own songs and making them silly. But head shoulders knees and toes is always a great place to start.

I definitely agree. You can also have a copy of the picture of body parts for each students to label

Brittany Johnson Brittany Johnson 1540 Points

I agree, life size posters!!!!! Children love to get out the classroom lay on the floor and trace another. Its very engaging and a way to get students to memorize these body parts.

Thanks! It reminded me of my elementary days when my kindergarten teacher does something similar to it. That is why I always though tracing student on the long white paper is always the best.

Mirta Beiza Mirta Beiza 1240 Points

There are songs for preschool children in which they can learn to identify different body parts. "Head, shoulders, knees, and toes" is definitely one that children love and at the same time they are able to learn some of their body parts. I also found this song that is fun and children will enjoy especially during bath time! http://supersimplelearning.com/songs/original-series/one/the-bath-song/

Stephanie Portillo Stephanie Portillo 1225 Points

I've seen my cooperating teacher make a life size picture of her. She demonstrated how to label general pars of her body. You could begin the lesson with a body parts song as the lesson hook. The kids got into partners and traced each other’s body. Each student was able to label each other’s bodies just like the teacher modeled for them. This makes it fun and engaging for students because they are labeling another students. The teacher hung all the life size drawings outside the classroom. Hope this helps.

Raven Davidson Raven Waikel 2145 Points

Having students trace their bodies and identify the parts of the body that are most important is probably one of the most beneficial ways to accomplish this. Students will see the connection when it is their own bodies. I think this could be a great activity for young children.

Kristen Wright Kristen Wright 1165 Points

There is a game called, Where's Howie's Owie. There is a great blog post about this game and how it can be used not only to identify body parts, but to develop young children's speech, inference-making abilities, and 1-2 step direction following skills. The link to the blog is below. http://thespeechroomnews.com/2012/07/where-is-howies-owie-review-giveaway.html

Arlyne Kotal Arlyne Kotal 1370 Points

Having the students trace themselves and singing aloud "head, shoulder, knees, and toes" are the most common way for students to learn about parts of the body.

Amber Johnson Amber Johnson 1355 Points

This is such an important topic for children to learn! It broadens their communication skills and teaches them meaningful vocabulary in the process.

Christian Page Christian Page 1190 Points

Very true, I think a great way of doing this, is by introducing the "Head Shoulder Knees and Toes" song. Another idea is getting a chart with the body parts labeled on them. Students can actually help in creating the chart and you as a teacher can help guide them, this will give them the hands on experience needed.

Jennifer Malloy Jennifer Malloy 235 Points

Create a song! Students remember songs and it can be a fun activity to get them thinking and pointing.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers