Forums

Forums / Chemistry / Incorporating Literacy Strategies in Chemistry

Chemistry

Incorporating Literacy Strategies in Chemistry

Author Post
Marelis Rivera Marelis Rivera 2365 Points

I am a new chemistry teacher and I am looking for ways to increase literacy in my classroom. I am noticing that my students struggle with vocabulary, summarizing readings, making connections between text and visual concepts, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for strategies I can use in the classroom?

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Marelis, There is a magazine article entitled, 'Chemistry as a Second Language' that may provide some good strategies for you to use. The examples included using visual tools,small group work, investigations, and directed vocabulary.
Also word walls may sound like an elementary idea, but it is another tool to use in any classroom to help strengthen vocabulary. I will attach an article about word walls. The author was teaching geology, but I think it applies a word wall in a way that can be used as a model for chemistry concepts as well. Best wishes for a fun and exciting chemistry year with your students! It would be great to have you share some strategies that you try and find useful.
Carolyn

Attachments

Adah, thank you for bringing that book to our attentions! I can't wait to go out and get it. (The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean). I am always looking for good science books to read for "pleasure". I looked up a book review about it after I read your post, and it says that the book is full of many awesome and disturbing facts - like how chemical warfare came to be. I am going to start a new thread under the general science discussion forum so that others can share some of their great science book finds. I think you should post this there as well! (Classical, Classy, or Corny Science Books- Reading for Pleasure Thread)

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

You might also try Nature's Building Blocks: An A-Z Guide to the Elements. Written with an entry for each element, each selection contains information about the history and "human" element of each element, economic role and use, and its place in the environment, food, and our bodies. Then there is the "element of surprise," or an interesting factoid about the element. For instance, the element oxygen can be found in different ratios of O-16 and O-18, and by analyzing the ratios of the two, we can deduce information about the Earth's climatic changes by studying the oxygen frozen in the polar ice caps. Interesting source that provides information that can be digested by high school students, but in quantities they can handle.

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

You might also try Nature's Building Blocks: An A-Z Guide to the Elements. Written with an entry for each element, each selection contains information about the history and "human" element of each element, economic role and use, and its place in the environment, food, and our bodies. Then there is the "element of surprise," or an interesting factoid about the element. For instance, the element oxygen can be found in different ratios of O-16 and O-18, and by analyzing the ratios of the two, we can deduce information about the Earth's climatic changes by studying the oxygen frozen in the polar ice caps. Interesting source that provides information that can be digested by high school students, but in quantities they can handle.

Jan Tuomi Jan Tuomi 1330 Points

There is a book called "Teaching Reading in Science" published by ASCD that is especially good for upper level teachers. It is 90% strategies and only a little theory. You can start implementing some strategies one at a time. They are easy--its just that most high school teachers don't have them in their repertoire. Anyone else ever used that resource?

Marelis Rivera Marelis Rivera 2365 Points

Thank you for all the replies! I am looking into the resources as we speak.

Lauren An Lauren An 1420 Points

Vocabulary in science is always difficult, especially in the elementary level. I have a word wall that we always post new vocabulary words and the students write them in their science notebook. I also tell my students to incorporate the appropriate vocabulary in the their lab reports or when we have discussions in class. I don't know if that answered your question but that's what I do.

Hi Marelis and thread participants,
My preservice teachers have been practice-teaching mini lessons, and one of them demonstrated how to use an activity called vocabulary basketball. She said she got the idea from the internet. It is a fun way to practice important vocabulary words, so I thought I would mention it here. I think it can be modified for any grade where there is class time set aside for vocabulary review. My student was modeling its use for elementary students.
Carolyn

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

This may seem like a trivial idea, but many students enjoy playing scientific hangman. If there iss 5 minutes for review or a little lag time after a quiz or test - students may play chemical hangmanl the ccaveat is that the words have to reflect chemical content and the students have to tell something about how the word was used to explain a concept. Students find this enjoyable as a little interlude. ~patty

Therese Houghton Therese Houghton 7210 Points

Hello, Here is the URL of my search in the NSTA Learning Center for vocabulary resources (which you may find very helpful): http://learningcenter.nsta.org/search.aspx?action=browse&text=vocabulary&price=0&product=0&subject=0&topic=0&gradelevel=912&qolid=&state=&subid=&gl=&docyear=&sort=Relevancy Tracing the etymology of the word is always interesting, here's a link for doing that: http://www.etymonline.com/ I would try to to teach the root of the words and provide examples of how the root is used in different applications of science.

Therese Houghton Therese Houghton 7210 Points

I found a better science literacy resource to offer. I actually knew about it last April when I posted, but I forgot to mention it. The 'Visual Thesaurus' is great website where you will find the etymology of word and teaching resources like vocabulary lists created by other teachers etc. and many more resources as well.Here's the link: http://www.visualthesaurus.com/ Here's a link to a middle school lesson plan. For more lesson plans, you can go to the site. http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/lessons/610/lesson5.pdf

Hi Marelis and thread participants, Marelis said, "I am noticing that my students struggle with vocabulary, summarizing readings, making connections between text and visual concepts, etc." You are not alone, Marelis. This is a BIG deal, too. The CCSSI (Common Core State Standards Initiative) addresses this through many standards in the ELA (English/Language Arts)section. We could have a discussion thread for each individual standard if time and space allowed it! So it is great to have all of these ideas for ways to help increase our students' abilities in these literacy areas. Fortunately we don't have to reinvent the wheel. There are so many "tried and true" best practice & researched strategies floating around in literacy space. I am looking forward to hearing how others are incorporating strategies to increase their students' vocabularies and improve conceptual understandings. I plan to go get the book you suggested, Jan. Thank you. If you (and others who have read and used it) have any strategies from that source that you would like to share, I would love to hear about them.

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Marelis said, 'I am noticing that my students struggle with vocabulary, summarizing readings, making connections between text and visual concepts, etc.'

Hi Marelis,
I teach chemistry as well. Chemistry is a foreign language to most young people. Here are some strategies that use in my classroom.
Learning vocabulary
To help my students learn the vocabulary associated with chemistry, they have a vocabulary section in their lab notebooks. It serves as an appendix in the back of their notebook. I have them use the Frayer method. If you look at the embedded link, there is an example of the layout. Many times I have my students include a picture and a sentence instead of non-examples or characteristics. Like Patty Rouke suggested in an earlier thread, we also spend some time playing review games. I have some talented artists in class, so in previous years, we have played pictionary. Like Patty, the words we use during the game have a chemistry focus.

Summarizing readings
I have my students find current events that relate to what we are currently studying. They must summarize the article. They are required to complete two a nine weeks, but they can do more for extra credit. Students first take notes over the article and then write a short summary from their notes.

Making connections between text and visual concepts
Check out Dr. Arthur Eisenkraft's work. My school has adopted his textbook Active Chemistry . One of the activities that students do at the end of every lessons is they look at the lesson from three perspectives. First, they look at the macro level. What did they see in the lab or activity that we did? Then, they look at the nano level. What is happening at the atomic level? Finally, they look at the symbolic level. What shorthand or symbol do chemists use to represent the chemical reaction or phenomena they are seeing?

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

by Marelis Rivera, Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:32 PM
I am noticing that my students struggle with vocabulary, summarizing readings, making connections between text and visual concepts, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for strategies I can use in the classroom?

Hi Marelis,
Teaching students science vocabulary can be a difficult task! I have a few methods that I use to help my students learn and internalize science vocabulary. One is to use graphic organizers to help students organize and learn the vocabulary terms. There are lots of options for graphic organizers, many of which can be found on the internet. One that my students really like is the vocab cube. For this students make a cube out of paper. One side has the vocab term and the other 5 sides have definitions, descriptions, artwork, etc. Another strategy I use is comic strips. Students make their own comic strips to demonstrate their knowledge of science concepts. You can use the The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry by Larry Gonick as an introduction to this activity and them have your students write and illustrate their own creative cartoons using key vocabulary terms.

Maureen

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

The American Chemical Society has put together a ChemClub Summer Reading List http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_ARTICLEMAIN&node_id=350&content_id=CNBP_024738&use_sec=true&sec_url_var=region1&__uuid=7033c277-9dca-4412-bf84-83841d217803 This is certainly not restricted to summer and may help in incorporating literacy strategies while also connecting science to broader public issues

Another science reading list can be found here http://web.me.com/kbudd103/Site/Book_Lists_files/chemistry%20reading%20list.pdf

Sung Yi Sung Yi 1555 Points

Maybe grouping students up and jigsawing topics to the students and then having them learn the topic in their expert groups. The students can then teach other students.

THERE ARE SEVERAL STRATEGIES YOU CAN USE: DISCOVER BLOOMS TAXONOMY AND GARDNER'S THEORIES OF MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCES. HAVE STUDENTS EXPLORE RICE VOCAULARY BUILDING SITE, THERE ARE NUMEROUS SITES WHERE U CAN CREATE YOUR OWN PUZZLES, AND GAMES WITH SPECIFIC TAXONOMY OR NOMENCLATURE. ALSO STUDY DEEP LEVEL AND SURFACE LEVEL LEARNING, SHARE ALL THE INFORMATION AND STRATEGIES WITH YOUR STUDENTS ALLOW THEM TO DEMYSTIFY SCIENCE!!! EMPOWER THEM WITH READING STRATEGIES THEMSELVES. EVERYTHING WE LEARN AS EDUCATORS THEY SHOULD HAVE IN THEIR TOOL BOXES FOR ACADEMIC SUCCESS. MOST OF ALL ALLOW THEM TO MAKE THE CONNECTIONS TO THEIR EVERYDAY WORLD AND THE WORLD THEY WANT TO CREATE OR CHOOSE FOR THEMSELVES!! AS LONG AS THE OUTLOOK HAS A HEALTHY CONSEQUENCE AND IT STAYS WITHIN THE LAW IT IS ALL GOOD!! I ALSO SUGGEST EVERYTHING NASA AND THE NASA EXPLORER SCHOOLS HAVE TO OFFER, IT AS ALL OPEN TERRITORY AND THE NET ALLOWS THOSE WO HAVE A PENCHANT FOR MORE SPECIFIC SCIENCE FIELDS TO COLLABORATE AS WELL!!! How about some nomenclature scavenger hunts around the school?? or perhaps using long/lat asa hint for the subject local?? Keep it fun!!!!! ENJOY!! JERI HALLBERG HARMON DE TAMEZ, M. Ed. El Paso, Texas

When attempting to incorporate literacy strategies in science and math, I think we must recognize that reading in these areas requires specific skills that are typically not encountered in reading literature. There is a great deal of specific vocabulary and most importantly vocabulary that looks deceptively similar to common English yet in science takes on very specific meaning. In addition reading science required that students decode symbols as well as language. This article from ASCD goes a great job of discussion the specific issues associated with reading in science and math http://achievementstrategies.org/july/curriculum/C6d/Links/teachingreadinginmathandscience6.pdf

Thank you for all the book/article suggestions -- I am excited to indulge in some nerdy reading :). I have stumbled upon a new book called "Atomic Romances, Molecular Dances" by Mala Radhakrishnan, a Teach For America alum and current professor at Wellesley. The collection of poems centers around the "tormented lives" of chemical elements and utilizes analogies to explain concepts like chemical reactions. E.g. synthesis is a marriage of atoms, decomposition is a divorce, single replacement is a "homewrecker scenario" and a double replacement is a double date with swapped partners. Fun ways to help high school students understand chemistry! :)

Paul Montbriand Paul Montbriand 160 Points

Two of my favorite literacy builders are word walls and Frayer models. A general Frayer model can be found here: http://www.justreadnow.com/strategies/frayer.htm. I change it up a little by taking out "characteristics" and replacing it with a picture/sketch or "non-verbal representation). The important part here is that they give relevant non-examples. For example... when giving non-examples of cations, pickles would not be relevant, but fluoride and hydroxide would be.

Paul, I am very interested in looking at your link. However it will not open (error message) Would you mind checking Thanks

Paul Montbriand Paul Montbriand 160 Points

Sorry, the site recently changed it's name and I hadn't updated my bookmark. Here is the correct site. http://www.readingeducator.com/strategies/frayer.htm

Adrienne Nelson Adrienne Nelson 800 Points

Great posts. I am researching incorporating reading/LAL and math skills in science. The Frayer link has pretty much all of what I need for the LAL component. The initial ASCD post is a great starting point for me to look at math skills along with the LAL in Science.

Adlit.org is a great resource for ideas on literacy strategies. I was especially excited by a recent post of read-alikes that connect movies to literature on related themes. I am considering whether I can combine movies and related literature in PBL science lessons. http://www.adlit.org/article/24554/?utm_source=Convio&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=WordUp

Alicia Mochizuki Alicia Mochizuki 1470 Points

Awesome post!! Lots of information. I just added "Chemistry as a second language" in my library--Thank you Carolyn for your recommendation. Also, thank you Jeri for all your links. I'll be modifying for my grade level. I've never taught science before so I need as much information and resources :).

Another place to look for science literacy connections is Seeds of Science Roots of Literacy Classrooms using Seeds of Science/Roots of Reading experience increased student achievement in both literacy and science for a range of diverse students, including English language learners. The Do-it, Talk-it, Read-it, Write-it approach for grades 2-5 engages students in learning science concepts in depth, while increasing their skills in reading, writing, and discussing as scientists do. Seeds of Science/Roots of Reading units save teachers time by allowing them to teach science and literacy together. It can be used during science, literacy, or as supplementary instruction. The curriculum is informed by research, verified by rigorous evaluations, and field-tested in classrooms around the country. http://www.scienceandliteracy.org/about/whatisit

Mitchell Miho Mitchell Miho 3090 Points

Marelis, Just to fill in some background information, I am a first year teacher and I have noticed that a lot of my students are lacking in their ability to comprehend the material and make higher level connections in their summaries and responses. I really do believe that the best resource you can have is the English department. I am really lucky at the school I am in to have a great relationship with the English teachers from my team as well as some of the others and by collaborating with them, I have found that it helps since they get to practice the specific skills you are talking about in numerous classes. I have seen a lot of my students struggle with research papers and i brought the dilemma up to the English teacher on my team (a lot of them were plagiarizing). She told me to suggest that the students should think of their citations like the summaries they do for their daily reading logs since it is similar in that they have to put what they got from the text into their own words. By being on the same page and allowing them to practice more on skills that they may have just acquired, I really do see a change in their writing and their ability to incorporate resources rather then just find something that relates to what we have in the rubric and them copy and pasting that information into a paper. I know this might be a basic strategy, but i have found that most English teachers have tricks up their sleeves in regards to incorporating their content into others. (it also gets brownie points since you are basically asking them how you can help the kids practice literary skills in another class!)

Michelle Porter Michelle Porter 420 Points

I agree with the comment about working with your English department. They can provide strategies you can use in your classroom to increase literacy. Something we have started at our school is having student write 5 minutes per day in their classes outside of English. My students struggle with reading comprehension and with writing a coherent paragraph. I have my students write and then they exchange papers with someone in the class who critiques and gives feedback on their writing. That person then uses the feedback to revise their writing before their turn it in to me. It gives them a second eyes and the feedback has been very helpful.

As a school, last year we decided that we needed something to help our students with their note taking skills and reading understanding. So as a school, we implemented PART, which is a note taking skill and reading skill combined. P=preview, using a specific reading related to the teaching topic, students preview the full text, for example, having students ask the question "what is the text about?" and write their answers. A= ask questions, students write questions they want to know from the text, I've noticed that students will ask the teacher, if their question is stupid, but I reassure them that their is no limit to the question. R= read the text, students actually read the text and take notes. Here, I usually give my students guiding questions which help them focus on specific concepts from the text. But the goal here is to have students taking notes from the text on their own. T=talking about the text, here students write a summary about the text they read. Here they would refer also to the questions the formed earlier and answer those questions. Write new questions if they have any. The purpose of this section was for students to state what they learned and see if they understood the specific concept or understood the text.

Cassandra Braden Cassandra Braden 1005 Points

To build vocabulary, my CT assigned her students one word from their vocabulary list each. The students were going to be creating their own “4 pics 1 word” game; they looked through magazines and found four different pictures they thought described the scrambled vocabulary word at the bottom. The students took turns exchanging the games and guessing the units vocabulary words. I thought this was a fun way to incorporate vocabulary and allows the students an opportunity to place images with definitions. The students also really enjoyed it because it mimicked a popular apple store game; so they were able to find enjoyment in their learning.

Cassandra Braden Cassandra Braden 1005 Points

To build vocabulary, my CT assigned her students one word from their vocabulary list each. The students were going to be creating their own “4 pics 1 word” game; they looked through magazines and found four different pictures they thought described the scrambled vocabulary word at the bottom. The students took turns exchanging the games and guessing the units vocabulary words. I thought this was a fun way to incorporate vocabulary and allows the students an opportunity to place images with definitions. The students also really enjoyed it because it mimicked a popular apple store game; so they were able to find enjoyment in their learning.

Stacy Holland Stacy Holland 6865 Points

We take a set of picture notes with out students on one major concept for each unit. Some units are easier for students than others. Students have to draw the meaning instead of writing definitions, essays, or other language oriented supports.

Mitchell Miho Mitchell Miho 3090 Points

Cassandra, That is an amazing idea to incorporate a game that all of them play and are interested in and implementing them into the classroom. I noticed that a lot of students have a hard time doing summaries as well and often times they miss the main point or can't make a connection to what they have read. I try not to do a lot of lectures, but when i do the students need to be taken step by step on how to pick out the main points and paraphrase the sections. I wish we all had CT's that were as helpful as yours.

Dartmouth college has one of the best resources on study skills I have found. I am very glad to see that there will be an increased emphasis on non fiction reading in the common core. Meanwhile here is a link to the Dartmouth resourced on reading. Enjoy http://www.dartmouth.edu/~acskills/success/reading.html

Desmond Parker Desmond Parker 90 Points

You can have students do a 4 square with vocabulary or do a magic square. The magic square also incorporates a bit of math in it. Kids might find that a fun way to learn vocabulary.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers