Forums

Forums / Life Science / I found resources on food safety

Life Science

I found resources on food safety

Author Post
Ronaldo Relador Ronaldo Relador 45315 Points

I believe that primarily, science should be protecting our health and not the pocket of few. I find this website really both eye-opening and inspiring to pursue the true mission of science. http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Ronaldo, What a great topic to bring up - Food Safety! Thank you for starting this thread. I checked out the website you shared. It was very interesting and provided information about some important topics we often hear being discussed in the news about the safety of our public food supplies. I did an advanced search in the NSTA Learning Center and found a wealth of resources at our fingertips. There are several collections already created within the Learning Center and each contains gobs of great resources to explore. The titles of some of the collections are: Science of Food Safety: Elementary Collection Science of Food Safety: High Collection Science of Food Safety: Middle Collection Nutrition: Elementary Collection Nutrition: High Collection Nutrition: Middle Collection I will add the links to the collections in the next post. Thanks for bringing this important topic up. It will be interesting to see how others are incorporating this topic into their science curricula. Please chime in if you have some interesting activities or resources to share with us. Carolyn

Here are the NSTA Learning Center Online Advisors Collections that have resources on Food Safety:

Science of Food Safety: Elementary Collection (3 items)
- Interactive E-book
Science of Food Safety: Middle Collection (6 items)
Lorrie Armfield Lorrie Armfield 51438 Points

Here are some additional resources on science and food safety. They are designed for middle school scholars, but certainly can be adapted to meet the needs of a diverse student population.

Wow, Im so much richer now information wise. I thought I know much about Food Safety, and this is my current advocacy. Thanks for sharing your finds, and I can wait to get on to each one of them. I just believe that if there's anything worth doing with the greatewst impact utilizing science - it is making our food our medicine, and our medicine our food. Happy sharing.

I mean I CAN'T wait. lol

This movie is rather too radical, but an eye opener. How do much do we know the food we buy and who manufacture them. How far the conflict of business and social concern has reached is one very critical issue tackled in Food Inc. Im sure many of you have already watched this... but there's no harm in viewing it again, especially if you hunger for the truth that will set us free. Please follow the link: http://www.foodincmovie.com/#

I want to introduce you all to Dr. Joseph Mercola, D.O. He is my unique adviser on health, food and nutrition. He has a wealth of resources right at his personal website that we can always obtain daily wisdom. You can also try to subscribe to his online resources by going to: http://www.mercola.com/

I just find it really necessary, even if it is not something we actually teach in class, that the topic of Food Safety be really discussed in the academic institutions where our family, children, and friends children are. I know that despite our educational boards desire to provide only the best academic services and instruction, the students are exposed to other factors that can really impede, impact their development, and so their capabilities to learn, and food has a lot to do with it. Nutrition is essential in making the body actively imbibe knowledge. Just look at the impact of water in the human system. Recently, it was found that the whole immune system is so much dependent on water. And if atleast 80 percent of our body is made of water, then we really need to be very careful with what kind of water is available and accessible to our children, our students. This can spell their activity-inactivity...their wholeness-their susceptibility to diseases... their growth and structure. Now how about food?

Elizabeth Dalzell-Wagers Elizabeth Dalzell 9945 Points

Hi Ronaldo and group...

The FDA and NSTA put on an AWESOME food science professional development program. All expenses paid,and money to help you implement the training into the classroom. I highly suggest you look into their summer program. Here is the link for the program

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to brag on the program.

Thanks
Liz

Donald Boonstra Donald Boonstra 8585 Points

This a reminder from Mimi Cooper about the Food Safety FDA Summer Professional Development Program. I just wanted to remind you that the deadline for applying for the free FDA Summer Professional Development Program in Food Safety is April 15. If you would like to find out more about this exciting free program in Washington, DC, July 17 – 23, please visit our website where you can also download an application - http://www.explorefoodscience.com  – you may need to cut and paste. We also, in partnership with NSTA, have an online professional development program – the Teacher Academy. In this program, elementary, middle, and high school teachers complete SciPacks in the Science of Food Safety and Nutrition. In return for completing the SciPacks, the teachers receive an honorarium as well as a year’s free subscription to NSTA’s Learning Center. The next group of teachers working in this program will start with a 2-hour webinar from 7 – 9 PM EDT on April 26. Another group of teacher will start work in August, 2011. If you would like more information about this program, kindly contact me for a more detailed description and/or a registration form. Please feel free to share this information with your colleagues and if you have any questions, please pass them along. My best, Mimi Mimi Cooper FDA/NSTA Teacher Academy Administrator 978-766-0107 [email protected] [email protected]

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

Oops! There is a book called Gourmet Lab: The Scientific Principles Behind Your Favorite Foods in the learning center that is somewhat related to this topic. The author uses different foods in the classroom to teach science concepts and addresses the issue of food in the science classroom. One of the chapters, "Ballpark Pretzels: Using Microscopes to Observe Yeast Fermentation of Sugar," is available for download. It might be an interesting way of introducing the topic of food safety in the classroom.

Kerrie Ellis Kerrie Ellis 1145 Points

I recently watched a NSTA Web Seminar, http://learningcenter.nsta.org/products/symposia_seminars/Philadelphia10/FDA/webseminarII.aspx. This was a terrific web seminar. There was so much information regarding food codes and the safety regulations with the FDA. There were activities that could be used within one's classroom as well.

Jennifer Marsico Jennifer Marsico 880 Points

Hi all; I am in the FDA NSTA Food Safety Workshop right now! I am in the middle of the program and I love it so far. We address all areas of food safety from farm to table and it is a great networking opportunity. It is a great workshop if you can get into it. This years program is over at the end of this week but they are having another one next year. I recommend it highly! Jennifer

Hi Jennifer, and welcome to the discussion thread. Thank you so much for your testimonial about the food and safety workshop, and thank you, Don, for posting the emails in your posting above for those interested in information for the August workshop. It sounds like an outstanding program.
I noticed that the NSTA has completed 20 web seminars with the FDA to date. Here is the link to access all 20: Food & Drug Administration web seminar archives

I also found a URL for the list of all the NSTA Learning Center's SciPacks, SciGuides and Science Objects on Food and Safety at Professional Development: FDA / NSTA Partnership in Food Science
What a treasure trove!

Deanna Spain Deanna 1195 Points

Thank you for the helpful information. It is definitely necessary to teach the importance of food safety through science in the classroom. For Kindergartners, it is a little difficult for them to grasp, but I'm sure they know enough to not eat foods that look a little "funny" or "weird." Our school participates in a fresh fruits and vegetables program. Each week, the children are encouraged to try a fresh fruit or vegetable that is provided by our cafeteria. I discuss the importance of washing their hands as well as checking to see if the food looks "safe" enough to eat. Food safety would definitely be easier to teach in upper grades!

Jill Tung-Loong Jill Tung-Loong 300 Points

Food safety is a big issue here on the Big Island. Living on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, may seem ideal, and this is the case for many. The fertility of the volcanic soil and tropical climate makes it prime for planting gardens. Sustenance and being able to produce your own veggies and fruits has led a revitalization of fresh and organic produce. Fresh produce are being consumed by its growers and often taken to the local Farmer's Market for public sale. How safe are these foods for consumers? Within the past few years, we have noticed an influx of Rat Lungworm Disease. This disease can be transmitted by snails or slugs that have been in contact with rat feces. A parasite is then ingested by the snail/slug and it lays its eggs our veggies. If the veggies aren't properly washed, the consumer will digest it and become sick, which may even lead to death. More and more cases have popped up throughout the years, so what measures are we taking to prevent potential outburst of this disease, or others like it? • minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/01/20/...rat-lungworm-disease-in-hawaii-2

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers