Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Free 1st Grade Science Sites??

Early Childhood

Free 1st Grade Science Sites??

Author Post
Kathy Renfrew Kathleen Renfrew 37148 Points

Meghan Weck posted " Hi, I am looking for free educational websites for 1st grade science students that can be accessible at home and school. Help, please?" I hope we can help her. Kathy

Lauren Bonnet Lauren Bonnet 16070 Points

Brainpop is one of my favorite sites. They have brainpop Jr for the young students. They have a number of science topics to look at. After each short movie, there are quizzes and activities that can be done after the movie. www.brainpop.com Teacherspayteachers is also another great resource that has many ideas and lesson plans.

Yagaira Gonzalez Yagaira Gonzalez 1635 Points

I agree that brain pop is a great place and the students enjoy watching the videos provided.

Louis Aceituno Louis Aceituno 5435 Points

Brain pop is a great resource; however, not everything is free. Try using chem4kids for science related material. In addition, use teacher tube for various ideas. Good luck

Karen Drexler karen Drexler 1825 Points

I find some of the best sites from Pinterest most of the stuff is free!

Kara Stark Kara Stark 1435 Points

I agree that brainpop and brainpop jr have been helpful as well as discovery education

Ashley Pletka Ashley Pletka 1925 Points

This website has many resources for teaching 1st and 2nd grade students about science. It can be accessed at home or at school so both teachers and families can work with children on science. Hope it helps. http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/science/games/first-second/

Linda Ngo Linda Ngo 2775 Points

I would definitely go for the Brain Pop because they have quizzes and it shows a helpful information. The children can watch them as much as they want.

In the first grade that I student teach, they were watching a brain pop about the clouds and precipitation. The teacher would have them to watch the video about 2-3 times to make sure they pay close attention before they can label the words on the picture.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Adah, Thank you so much for these resources!! I am developing an online course for Prek-2 teachers and these will be a tremendous help. Betty

Shanked Seraphin Shaneka Seraphin 945 Points

I found some sites that may be of interest to you. http://www.turtlediary.com/grade-1-games/science-games.html and http://www.jumpstart.com/parents/activities/grade-based-activities/1st-grade-activities

I just looked at both website and I think it is very helpful. I'm definitely going to use the website for my future teaching.

Vanessa Fonte Vanessa Fonte 625 Points

Hope this helps! 1. PBS Kids Find all your favorite PBS characters, each with learninggames for kids to play: Clifford, Curious George, SuperWhy, The Cat in the Hat, and lots more. 2. Wonderopolis Discover a new wonder each day. Wonders are amazing facts and intriguing questions such as: Why are they called Lava Lamps? What Badger has a sweet tooth? 3. National Geographic Little Kids National Geographic Little Kids features games, crafts and recipes, science, videos, and animal information. It's perfect for the 5 and under crowd. 4. National Geographic Kids Games, videos, information, cool photos, and more will keep your kids engaged and learning on this educationalsite. 5. Fun Brain Math and reading video-like games like math baseball and Mad Libs Junior. 6. Whyville Tweens hang out in Whyville to play learning games and socialize. 7. Pottermore J.K. Rowling created this site so kids could read the books and do interactive features and games. My kids LOVE it and can't wait for all the books to be on the site. 8. Spatulatta Get into cooking on this kid-friendly cooking website with lots of videos and recipes. 9. NGA Kids This website gives users art adventures and activities from the National Gallery of Art. 10. Yahoo Kids This is the least educational of all the choices since the site includes both games and videos of all sorts. But, kids can find lots to learn on this interactive website like homework help, learning about science, and access to an encyclopedia.

Erica Ramirez Erica lynn Ramirez 9665 Points

Thanks! I can't wait to try these out!

Hilary Eesley Hilary Eesley 1465 Points

This is great! Thanks!

Naomi Beverly Naomi Beverly 19130 Points

Vanesa- Thanks. This is a great collection of resources. All the best, Naomi Beverly

Cinthia Rodriguez Cinthia Rodriguez 4505 Points

Thanks for posting these websites, cant wait to use them.

PBS kids and brain pop jr. is my 2 favorite resource. It keeps the students more engage.

Theresa Skwiat Theresa Skwiat 575 Points

All of these seem like they would be very helpful, and will probably be used in my classroom one day.

I definitely agree

Amber Magee Amber Magee 920 Points

I am a preservice teacher and these websites really helped me a project! Thank you for posting this topic!

Jeffrey Lind Jeffrey Lind 1215 Points

I'm very happy to have found this topic. I recently got hired as an aide for a first grade classroom and was told I'd be in charge of science a couple days a week. I'm always looking for good resources online, and these look terrific. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sue Garcia Sue Garcia 42675 Points

Meghan, There are also Apps out there that might satisfy what you are needing/wanting. Our young students are very capable of using a tablet as an additional tool in your teaching tool belt.

Tammy Perez Tammy Perez 2195 Points

There are some great resources here! I'm in my final semester of student teaching and am in a 1st grade classroom for the first time. I can't wait to check out some of these sites!

Tiffany Williams Tiffany Williams 1665 Points

One of the places that I always go look first is Pinterest. Many teachers are posting a lot of information on Pinterest for first graders. Teachers pay teachers also have some good resources. Sometimes you can find things for free! Tiffany

I definitely agree. I looked into the pinterest and they have so many cool stuff to teach students for science lesson.

Ashley Brooks Ashley Brooks 3460 Points

Thank you all for posting these wonderful resources

Azo O Ashley Osborn 4725 Points

A great website students can use both at school and at home would be brainpopjr.com or brain pop.com depending on the students grade level. They can access videos, comments, questions, and do a lot of studying too if needed!

Claudia Rex Claudia Rex 3180 Points

This is good stuff. Thanks!

Lauren Bonnet Lauren Bonnet 16070 Points

BrainPop has a lot of videos, games and quizzes for children of all ages. I use this in most of my lessons for the students to get a variety of learning tools.

Brain pop jr. is good for 1st grade. Another resource you can use is PBS kids.

Amber Culpepper Amber Culpepper 4355 Points

Thanks for the suggestions!

Tegan Collier Tegan Collier 5475 Points

A fun website I like is called The Molecularium Project its an awesome site for kids. http://www.molecularium.com/

I think the website is very interesting. I'm going to look into it

Tegan Collier Tegan Collier 5475 Points

A fun website I like is called The Molecularium Project its an awesome site for kids.I had a Professor show me this site. http://www.molecularium.com/

Zeinab Kobeissi Zeinab Kobeissi 1185 Points

These are great! Thanks!

Katelyn Pages Katelyn Pages 795 Points

You can go to teacherspayteachers.com and they have several FREE activities that you can choose from. I go there and get several ideas from it and you can access it anywhere. Hope this helps :)

At first, I thought it is for us to pay, but once I look into the website and you're right. The activities is absolutely free. I will definitely use this for my future teaching.

Samantha Coyle Samantha Coyle 2245 Points

Linda, It's easy to find one you absolutely LOVE, and then be heartbroken to see it costs money. It's just something you have to pay attention to carefully. Regardless, you might be inspired by one of them and create your own activity from an idea you saw! This site is great for all subjects! (:

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

NSTA's SciLinks has lists of reviewed websites for both teachers and students, organized by topic and grade level (in this case K-4). You need to register or log in as 'Guest' but it's free.

I think the link is useful. Thank you!

Amber Chambers Amber Chambers 2375 Points

This is great! I'm in a 1st grade class currently and will have to teach a science lesson in the near future, and have seen very little science teaching in my field experience so far.

Beth Dykstra VanMeeteren Beth Van Meeteren 1635 Points

Take a good long look at this blog for quality early childhood resources that are respectful of what young children can do, and guide educators in facilitating an atmosphere that allows for children to investigate their world. It is much better than a lot of the "science for amusement and showmanship" that serves to entertain rather than nurture budding scientists. http://nstacommunities.org/blog/2014/10/11/observe-everythin...in-nature/

Virginia Herbert Virginia Herbert 1505 Points

Hi! The PBS website has very useful games and even videos where children can watch them with their parents at home! Here is the link to some videos http://www.pbs.org/topics/science-nature/ Hope this helps! -Viki

At my field placement that I'm doing my student teaching at, I saw the first graders students uses the PBS resource to play the game. I can tell that they are really into it.

Najwa Al-Mohamed Najwa Al-Mohamed 4280 Points

I am currently a student teacher in the first grade. Many of these resources look fantastic to use! Thanks for the suggestions. This will definitely help me out.

Jesus Medina Jesus Medina 1330 Points

I have used PBS kids website for science. My students loved it. I also have used brainpop. These two websites are wonder and kid friendly.

I think both of the resource is really good

Micola Mitchell Micola Mitchell 975 Points

Brain Pop is a great resource.

Kourtney Fyffe Kourtney Fyffe 1185 Points

I just posted on another post about how great brain pop is!! I will definitely be using brain pop in my future classroom!!

Martalicia Becerra Martalicia Becerra 1795 Points

Great for elementary students! http://www.timeforkids.com/

I am definitely going to use them to look into them. I can see that they have a lot of interesting articles

Erica Preston Erica Preston 2010 Points

I love brain pop and so does my students. They like to do the "test" after they have watched a video. Brain pop was used to get the students interested in the activity.

Yes. They do. The video is very helpful to memorized what they learn before they take the test/quiz

As a student, I recall always enjoying BrainPOP (https://www.brainpop.com/) like a lot of individuals have mentioned. Back then I do not think they had BrainPOP Jr. (https://jr.brainpop.com/), which is targeted towards the K-3 grade levels. This would probably be a better fit, as it would have videos more on the appropriate age level. PBS Parents (http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/science/games/first-second/) also has some engaging games the students could work on during centers, or possible together during whole group. I think this is a good option because the students are probably familiar with the characters from the tv shows, but they are also practicing and learning. I really like this one!

I like both of those resources as well.

Thanks! I think they would work great in the classroom or as an at home activity. Great practice for kids to be able to extend on a lesson you may have just taught. Very engaging too!

Ashmara Williams Ashmara Williams 2235 Points

http://www.exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/ The Science Explorer is a great website that has a number of science activities. Site visitors can investigate interesting and unusual scientific topics. This is a fun-filled science site that explores energy and other basic scientific principles. http://www.sciencemadesimple.com This site has science projects for kids, science articles and ideas, topics & instructions for great experiments.

I think both of the site is very useful

In my field classroom, I have noticed my CT showing videos such as the Magic School Bus from a Discovery Channel website. They appear to be free, and could serve as an end of the week fun segment! Something I think is worth looking into! (:

I think having students watch Magic School Bus is very helpful for them to learn. It is science related

Daniel Carroll Daniel Carroll 18610 Points

Nova is a good one. You can also get some through nsta and partners like nasa. Nasa has lots of cool activities for kids.

Daniel Carroll Daniel Carroll 18610 Points

Nasa

Lucerito Gutierrez Lucerito Gutierrez 2445 Points

I agree brain pop and brain pop Jr are great resources. Pinterest is also an awesome site to find and share lesson activities.

I also agree with the pinterest part. They showed some cool activities that we can teach to students.

During my student teaching in 1st grade, I had taught about 4 types of clouds. Now I am having difficulty of how exactly I'm going to demonstrate the lesson. Is there any hands on activities beside making "Our favorite cloud graph?"

Lori Gillespie Lori Gillespie 3030 Points

I agree Brain Pop is a good one and I really like to use the EdHead website that gives me activities to use with the students. If you are looking for lesson plans/worksheets and activties to expand your collection I really enjoy the teacherspayteachers website but you have to pay for the really good ideas. I download the free ones and then alter them or create extensions to them in order to make them more beneficial to my students.

Maria Martinez Maria Martinez 1555 Points

I agree with most of the posts, Brainpop is an awesome website that the kids enjoy! It has interacting videos and they are actually funny for the students, so they are very engaged. This is another website for students to use depending on the topic, it is also very engaging for students! http://interactivesites.weebly.com/science.html

Erika Jackson Erika Jackson 1690 Points

These are all awesome resources to use in the classroom. I heavily rely on PBS Kids.org. The websites are free, easy to use, and safe for all learners. http://pbskids.org/games/science/

Nicole Bristol Nicole Bristol 595 Points

Superteacherworksheets.com has some free worksheets for all subject areas including science . A subscription isn't too expensive. (Get a few teachers to go in on it together and share the password). Pinterest also has tons of creative ideas and is usually free!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers