Forums

Forums / Life Science / Life Science

Life Science

Life Science

Author Post
Victoria Vaughn Victoria Vaughn 910 Points

I love seeing teacher make learning real for their students. When learning about life and the environment, why not go outside and let them explore those things for themselves? By going outside and looking at nature, students can apply what they see to what they're learing. If we aren't making it real for them, then we aren't making it meaningful, and that takes the enjoyment out of learning. 

Courtney Eilerman Courtney Eilerman 310 Points

I agree. I think that especially in these times it is good for students to go out and explore. I believe this has practical benefits in the science classroom, like students making connections to the outside world, but it also is good for their mental health.

Georgia Mayes Georgia Mayes 375 Points

I totally agree! In my high school there was a big pond on our campus and I always wished that we would be able to do ecology labs that were more hands on with the pond since there was so much life in it. I think hands-on learning and connecting content to something students can recognize as real is much more impactful on their comprehension, and like you said it makes the learning more enjoyable!

Claire Johnson Claire Johnson 370 Points

I think exposing students to the environment after learning about the topic in class enhances a student's understanding and knowledge. It introduces different forms of learning to the students. 

Elizabeth Inselmann Elizabeth Inselmann 1395 Points

Hi Victoria 

I totally agree students need to experience nature to truly have authentic instruction there needs to be a connection to the world around them. Going into nature and bringing nature into the classroom is so important. Especially because many students do not have the opportunity to explore the world around them. 

Lizzy Inselmann

Wartburg Class of 2023 

Carlos Cervino Carlos Cervino 365 Points

I agree the students should be recomended to go outside and explore so it could be real for them.

Carlos Cervino Carlos Cervino 365 Points

I agree the students should be recomended to go outside and explore so it could be real for them.

Dustin Dingess Dustin Dingess 240 Points

I think it is a great idea to take students outside to explore nature. I also feel like having students bring nature into the classroom from home to examine is another way to make it real that can help if there is limited access to a variety of life within safe reach of a school.

Jaqueline Garcia Jaqueline Garcia 380 Points

It is true, students learn better by being hands on. Science should be fun and letting the students wader out and explore by themselves will be very beneficial. As a teacher, one should encourage them to ask more questions and talk about their findings. 

Luke Oravecz Luke Oravecz 6420 Points

I completely agree with this idea, students being able to have that hands on experience and interact with things around them can really help them develop their thoughts more.  As they are exposed to more of the environment, they can use their own real world experiences to build upon their knowledge base.  Maybe even find something out there in nature they really enjoy that they maybe wouldn't have gotten to see in a textbook.

Nicole Neumann Nicole Neumann 440 Points

Connecting the students' life with learning is one of the most influential things a teacher can do. When the teacher connects the learning with the students' life it makes it more memorable and they can connect to other things they might know. Even as a college student I love when my professors connect our learning to what we will experience when we are teachers ourselves. It makes it easy for me to understand when I can apply it or picture it in my life. A lot of my classes are teaching us how important it is to apply it to their lives and let them explore the area around the school or in their backyard. I really enjoy implementing this process in my lessons because the students seem to be more excited to know there learning in a different and new environment. The lessons have more meaning to them and will allow them to have a deeper understanding of the content. 

Juliana Texley Juliana Texley 1490 Points

That's why I always try to integrate authentic literature. Some children just do not have the out-of-school support to get the sorts of experiences we'd like.  Parents work odd hours, or neighborhoods aren't safe. Embedding a story to which they can relate helps them connect ideas. If that can be combined with some outside or physical exploration, all the better. And sending parents a note telling them how to do that--even just a little--is an added plus.

Mary Lynn Hess Mary Hess 12158 Points

It's interesting how Covid has sparked a interest in outdoor schools. See the attached article about Forest Schools. 

Attachments

Forest Schools (External Website)

Lauren Cramer Lauren Cramer 2025 Points

It truly has made a difference for my students having them engaged outside. Students ask to go outside almost daily so I can see the immediate impact it has on their learning when I can help them experience something hands on outside. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers