Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Science - Not my favorite subject to teach

Elementary Science

Science - Not my favorite subject to teach

Author Post
Deanna Spain Deanna 1195 Points

Uggghhhh I can just imagine how many posts I'll be getting after my post. Don't get me wrong - I love science and I love all the hands on experiments that you can do. But in this day and age of having Kindergartners being able to read and write by the end of Kindergarten, it makes it more difficult to teach science each year. Most of my time is spend getting the children to learn the letters and sounds. Then the rest of my time is spent getting them to put those sounds together to form words. After that, they have to figure out how to read what they wrote. When I teach a science lesson, they are excellent at large group discussions or discussions where they can all participate. But when it comes to an individual assessment, the learned material gets lost because they are so busy trying to "read" the questions and "write". Usually the 1st semester is better because they tell me and I write their dictation. But having to test 23 children individually is time consuming. During 2nd semester they are a bit more capable to writing. but their concentration is spent more on "writing" than answering the question. Whatever happened to half day programs and/or taking naps in Kindergarten>>>>>

Floyd Loving Floyd Loving 2385 Points

HA! Your candor is appreciated. I am a high school math teacher getting science certified, so I feel like a fish out of water here. I enjoy the learning I am doing but I also shrink from the idea of having to systematically get so much content and conceptual connections across to students that is involved in one high school course. Are you referring to a science assessment that your state is using on k? Wow!

Cori Lyn Shikuma Cori Lyn Shikuma 1175 Points

Deanna you are a great teacher! I am sure that you will have fun and educating learning experiences for the students, don't worry, we can share ideas!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Deanna,
I remember bringing my large towel to school and having to take a nap on it when I was in kindergarten! Perhaps that is why I loved being outside catching frogs and snakes when I got home. Do they still make kindergarteners take naps?
I understand the pain beneath your humor, though. I have never taught kindergarten, and I can only imagine the difficulties. I noticed another discussion thread that has some great ideas for teaching young children;
Elementary Science > First day of school science for preK-grade 2. I love their conversations on using gummy worms.

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Deann, Floyd, Cori and all others getting ready to begin a new school year. I totally understand the pressures we are all under in education today . This seems to be the appropriate place to share a very special gift from Jeff Goldstein. [quote] Dear colleagues across the nation, About a month ago I sent you an email to see if you could help us disseminate information about the Student Spaceflight Experiments Program (SSEP) Mission 1 to the International Space Station (http://ssep.ncesse.org). Because of your help, we are now working with communities across the nation to come aboard. Please accept a heartfelt thank you on behalf of the SSEP Team! And now for something completely different. I'm sending you this email to see if you can help us disseminate a music video to teachers across America, as a gift for the start of the new school year. As Center Director for the National Center for Earth and Space Science Education [url=http://ncesse.org]http://ncesse.org[/url] , I had the wonderful honor of giving the Keynote Address at the National Science Teachers Association National Conference in San Francisco in March 2011 to a few thousand teachers of science. Much of the Keynote was dedicated to why we teach, and to reaffirm to teachers why we went into this noblest of professions. After the Keynote, teachers approached me by the dozens and talked about losing their passion, their need to consider leaving the teaching profession, and overwhelming levels of stress from testing and the severe economic pressures now on school systems. I wanted to do something to help in some small way. I've been working with John Boswell at Symphony of Science [url=http://symphonyofscience.com]http://symphonyofscience.com[/url] to remix the Keynote into a music video as a gift to America's teachers - to let them know how important their job is to our children, our communities, and this great nation. Anything you can do to help John and me disseminate the video though your networks would be wonderful. And I hope you like it too:) Below is the link to: We’ve Got To Be That Light A Gift To Teachers Across America [url=http://blogontheuniverse.org/sos]http://blogontheuniverse.org/sos[/url] With the very best wishes for the new school year, [/quote]Dr. Jeff Goldstein Center Director National Center for Earth and Space Science Education [email protected] 301-395-0770

Kendra Young Kendra Young 17180 Points

Hi Deanna! Don't worry about getting "blasted" on these boards...we're all here for discussion, collaboration, and support. Your frustrations are well understood. I am a middle school teacher but I did teach first grade during my first and second years of teaching. I take my hat off to all early elementary teachers - it's just not something I enjoy. I can do it, but it's really like pulling teeth for me. I'm curious what state you're in and what the science standards are like for such young children? From my perspective, I would prefer students at that level just be exposed to science concepts through read alouds, nature walks around the school campus, guest speakers (such as from local zoos or natural history museums), and maybe the occasional hands-on project. I remember a project I did with my first graders about what plants need to grow. I provided them with a variety of materials they could use to plant and care for seeds (some of these items were good choices, some of them not so good). This was my preassessment. Then we spent a week or two talking about what plants need. Then they got to try again (most of their choices were ghastly the first go around - we had plastic cups full of icky gooey slimy things - in other words they loved it while I held my nose). If I've understood your post, you're having to try and give a paper/pencil test to a room full of five year olds. I simply cannot imagine what that would be like. Looking forward to your next post! Kendra

Lori Towata Lori Towata 2825 Points

I know that it's not ideal to collect assessment data on K's, but what about observation checklists? What's critical for my third-graders can be fostered in Kindergarten simply by making sure that students are able to know what it means to observe with eyes, ears, touch, smell (but rarely taste). If you can build that and foster their curiosity, that's a lot for me. Thanks for giving the little ones a great foundation!

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Deanna! Welcome to the discussion forum and don't be worried about the topic of your post. We are here to help each other through support, sharing ideas, and discussions. I have taught everything form AP Physics to kindergarten, so I understand how difficult it can be to teach your little learners all of the skills they need to be successful in 1st grade and beyond. Have you tried the NSTA Learning Center's State Standards search? You can access this tool from [url=http://learningcenter.nsta.org]The Learning Center homepage[/url]. Scroll down to the "Explore Learning Opportunities" section and then under the "By State Standards" option choose your state from the drop down menu. Once you enter your state and grade information, you can click on individual standards and you will be redirected to a list of resources within the NSTA learning center that directly relate to that standard at the Kindergarten level. It's really a great tool! You can also use the search for elementary specific materials by using the [url=http://learningcenter.nsta.org/search.aspx]Advanced Search Tool[/url]. This tool enables you to do a keyword search for resources at elementary school level. At the K-3 elementary level, I've had great success with pairing science and literacy. [url=http://learningcenter.nsta.org/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781933531120]Picture Perfect Science Lessons[/url], from the NSTA Press, is an excellent resource for using picture books to teach science concepts. Here are a few more great resources that I've used with my Kinder kids: [i]Hands-on Science[/i] ISBN: 978-0-545-07475-9 [i]101 Science Poems and Songs for Young Learners[/i] ISBN: 978-0-590-96369-5 [i]Science Experiments for Young Learners[/i] ISBN: 978-1-557-99779-1 [i]Using Science Notebooks in Elementary Classrooms[/i] ISBN: 978-1933531038 If you let us know specifically what content you are teaching this year, I'd be happy to share any of my lesson plans/resources that correspond with you. Best of luck with the beginning of the new school year!

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Deanna and posters, readers too :} Bubbles and color are great portals to capture the minds and imaginations of young children and lead to great science inquiry too. The Exploratorium has some interesting perspectives on color as part of an exhibit that is about to close. I found some lovely ideas here: http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/staff_picks/color/ Using color and shadows also offer cool ways to draw students into a discussion. A simple demo is to gather three light bulbs that are in sockets that have easy on/off switches --get a red, blue, and green party bulb from a store. Gather a set of hand and finger puppets. Darken the room and engage the students in a discussion about shadows. How are shadows made? Are they always dark or black? Let the students chat together about these questions and ask their own. place the red bulb in front of a white board and turn on the bulb --make shadow puppets and observe repeat this with a blue bulb with a green bulb Then put the 3 bulbs next to each other and turn them on - you should see 'white' light on the board --slowly 'walk' a puppet between the 3-bulbs and the screen --Observe!! The children will be delighted and you will be opening the world of shadows and color to them. You might also want to check if any child has a facet of color-blindness...

a variation of the colored light and shadow demonstration from the Exploratorium - it is a bit more constructed than the one posted previously but it may give someone who has never seen this demo or done this demo a clearer picture of things...enjoy...patty http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/colored_shadows/index.html

Andrea Godsill Andrea Godsill 1670 Points

Hi Deanna, I'm a kindergarten teacher too and feel a lot of pressure as well to get them writing and reading independently. Much of my assessment from our science learning is done from observation as well as from projects we've created. I do a fair amount of science journaling after the first half of the year but I don't require them to use their reading/writing skills as the only way to show their learning. Teaching them how to use kindergarten friendly rubrics has been a good way to help become responsible for their learning as well as how to explain it to me.

Hi Andrea, Your post addressses good strategies and I am hoping that you would be a mentor for all of us by sharing your kindergarten rubrics. What do you mean by them? Do you have a few examples to share, please? ~patty

Patty McGinnis Patricia McGinnis 25635 Points

Hello Deanna, Since the science is getting "lost" in the struggle to read and write, perhaps you can use an alternative assessment. Can the students make podcasts to explain what they learned? Could a parent volunteer film the child explaining what they learned? Could the children draw their ideas? How about using a simple storyboard program? I tunes may have an app that would work really nicely for you. Good luck!

Karla Acosta 10 Points

I feel that students enter Kindergarten with much prior knowledge, since they have been exposed to so much information through the media and other sources. I was able to observe a kindergarten class, and when they were learning about the color brown, they already knew some facts about the color. This semester I am observing the kindergarten class where I will be student teaching in the spring. So I am searching for activities; I find that the internet is a great place to look for ideas to teach science. I found this website with science activities that can be done in Kindergarten. http://www.education.com/activity/kindergarten/science/ It has a fossil activity that helps students to experience what a paleontologist does. Just remember to try something ahead of time before you make students work on the activity. I think that a teacher needs to incorporate all of the subjects together. For example, the teacher can read the students a trade book on fossils and then have them write a sentence. After reading the book, the teacher can have students make their own fossil using the idea from the website. I read in one of my textbooks that we as teachers can ask parents or other people for help when doing an activity with students. I believe that if we all work together, we can make school a great place for students to learn.

Kathy Sparrow Kathy Sparrow 47692 Points

Kathy, I wanted to respond to your post from last Monday. I appreciate your sharing the letter from Jeff Goldstein with us. Although I did not hear his Keynote address last spring, his music video is very moving. Actually, I showed the music video to my two pre-service elementary science methods classes last week as a discussion starter. I was very impressed with my students’ comments. I also sent Goldstein’s letter along with the website of the video to my colleagues and teachers. Thank you for sharing. Kathy Sparrow

Helen Hicks Helen Hicks 2635 Points

My first year teaching sixth grade science and I felt as lost as the students did. I was more comfortable when it came to math but science I would really had to prepare my lessons, labs, worksheets and read over the teacher's manuals. Now in my fourth year teaching science, I have gotten more comfortable and able to teach science in a way that the students understand it as well. When the teacher makes the science lab and lessons fun it makes the students more excited to learn and get involved.

Hi Helen, I think you've found the key! When we find ways to make science fun and interesting our reward is students who are engaged in the learning process. The hard part is figuring out how to do that! :-) Do you have suggestions or examples of way that your plan or implement your lessons to increase student engagement? Thanks! Maureen

Allicia Thompson Allicia Thompson 725 Points

I completely agree with you. I teach 6th grade, but I still feel like there is so much focus on Reading and Math, because that is what count for AYP, that the rest of subjects get pushed to side. Realistically, I only have about a week in which to cram all of my science stuff in. This is sad because some of my students live for science because it is the one thing they are good at. What ever happened to educating well rounded students?

Tina Cardinali Tina Cardinali 420 Points

I teach second grade and teaching science across the curriculum. I asses my students through observation, performance, and paper and pencil tests. One resource we just started to use in our school is Brainpop JR. It is a wonderful website. It contains informational movies, activities, and leveled quizzes.

Okemeteri Esiekpe Okemeteri Esiekpe 765 Points

Deanna, I completely understand your concerns and frustrations. I am currently in my first year of my MAT Program and I have to admit that teaching Science in elementary school is one of my fears. I usually wonder, "how DOES one teach science to students that are just learning to read and write?" Also, I have to say that I'm surprised that in your state/school district, the assessment of your kindergarteners' understanding of science content is so formal. As you said, they are learning how to read and write. How can they adequately formulate their understanding of the science content with new/barely acquired skills? This just seems to take the joy out of learning for the students (and teaching, for the teachers). I really like your idea of group discussions especially since it also helps erase the stereotype that scientists work alone and that they don't share their thoughts and ideas with other scientists.

Marianne Blemly Marianne Blemly 1100 Points

Dear Deanna,

I currently work as a fellowship teacher with K-2 at a charter school, and I have certainly seen some very good ways to make learning fun for the kids. I would say that showing lots of visuals and having hands-on activities has been a very good way to keep them engaged in science. For instance, we've been using weather charts frequently so that they can understand the importance of weather in their own lives. I find that that is the most important step. If they are engaged in an activity and especially if it's hands-on, they will want to learn. Your more formal assessment may seem more interesting to them and they will explain it better if they fondly remember the activity and want to share what they've learned. Hope this helps.

Marianne

Kathleen Chachich Kathleen Chachich 2825 Points

I agree that being able to discuss things is very useful especially when they are so young. When their language is not fully developed how can we expect them to respond thoughtfully. It is much more likely that a student will be able to demonstrate understanding by speaking or doing rather than in something that requires reading and writing. I do think it is important though that students be encouraged to read and write about science even from a young age. Get the wheels turning early. Also, even if they are not as elaborate and in depth as we may like they are still getting practice and developing the skills to become better scientists.

Taylor Donahue Taylor Donahue 765 Points

I completely agree. Science will be a difficult subject for me to teach because I remember very little about science from elementary school. I remember learning to read and write and even do math, but there are very few memories of science in the younger grades. I worry about assessing my future students when they are still struggling with reading and writing. I don't remember having actual class time devoted to science until at least the fifth grade. If anyone has any advice for a future elementary school teacher I would love to hear it.

Taylor, I want you to know you are not alone in having little, if not no science in elementary school. I know I didn't and my experience with science as a high school student and then college student were not very positive. Therefore, when I began teaching science was not a big part of my instruction. Not sure why, but one day I woke up and decided that the students in my classroom were going to have better science experiences than I did. I was lucky because I had the opportunity to take a summer class ( week long ), where I was engaged in inquiry science. The course was called "The Physics of Fluids" and I did things like build a hot air balloon, or a tetrahedral kite, at the same time I was learning about fluids, finding out first of all that air ( or gasses) are fluids. I had the chance to do the science myself as a learner and then take it back to my classroom. The following summer I became more involved in science. I took a class for a week and then we had a summer science camp, where we taught students about what we we learning. Are there opportunities for learning about science that you might take advantage of as a student? Kathy

Helen Hicks Helen Hicks 2635 Points

Hi Maureen, Teaching fifth grade one of the benchmarks is changing the independent variable to affect the dependent variable. I did two simple but fun labs during the first month of school the first was using gummy bears, cups and water. Students had to predict what would happen to the gummy bear when placed in cup of water overnight. The next day the students got to see if their gummy get bigger or dissolved. As a class we decide on what variable we should be change the water, length of time, type of gummy bear. The students made another prediction and came to look at the gummy bear the next day and wrote their conclusion. The second lab was using a penny, water, dropper and paper towels. The students predicted how much drops of water will stay on the penny before it overflows and slips over. This is done in partners with one student putting the drops on the penny and the other student counting. They did four trials and took an average and we wrote all the averages on the board. I changed the variable and made a solution of half liquid soap and half water and again the students predicted and did four trials and drew a conclusion from both labs. These lessons can be made simpler for the younger grades and more advance for the higher grades. Enjoy!

Chris Dudek Chris Dudek 375 Points

As a student at UMBC and currently taking a methods of teaching science course I am nervous about teaching science in the future. My anxieties have been eased during this semester as my class revolves around hands-on learning in, and more importantly "outside" of the classroom. What I have realized this semester is that science is absolutly everywhere around us, we just have to introduce it to the students. Whether your school is surrounded by trees and plantlife or sidewalks and city streets, our job is to observe our surroundings and prepare ways for students to learn about it by observing it as well. It is when the students take part and are involved in their surroundings that they will not only learn, but the information will stay with them for years after. This semester has opened my eyes and eased my fears of teaching science in the future.

Wanda Gordon Wanda Gordon 490 Points

I appreciate your comments, Chris. I felt the same way, in the beginning. but I am a naturalist at heart. I realized early on that I was simply sharing with students the kinds of things that I am passionate about in life. that has made all the difference for me. It became a sort of, "Look what I have to show you today, everyone!!! Isn't this great???!!!" It became a personal desire to share, on my part! That made every day worth looking forward to!!

Jessica Valenstein Jessica Valenstein 545 Points

Hi everyone! Deanna, I completely understand your frustration about teaching Science. I am not a teacher yet but amd currently in college studying to be an elementary school teacher. I picked elementary school because I love working with children and being the base to their educational learning. However, I have thought about the issue of having to teach every subject including ones that I am not a fan of or am good at, and it worries me. Something that I realized, however, is when I become a teacher, I can not show my frustration to my class. I am not saying you do this, but sometimes teachers can show their frustration or dislike towards a subject they are teaching and if they do that the student will recgnize it and also have a dislike for the subject. So I hope you keep that in mind as I will need to also when I become a teacher! Because trust me, I understand how hard it is going to be to have to teach a subject we don't like. Just hang in there! :)

Eunice Kim Eunice Kim 445 Points

Hi! I am not a teacher yet but science is not the only subject I am scared to teach. I feel like the only class I am confident in teaching is math and even then I'm still a little scared. I am slowly starting to appreciate science because in our science education class we have to go to the maryland science center and teach a little and we also get time to explore. During the exploration time I see so many ways science is used and I get excited at the cool things science teaches. I learned that sound can travel through your bones and I was really fascinated which made me want to learn more about sound and bones. I also realized that there is more to science then lab coats and there are ways for us to learn while just sitting outside or taking a walk. I think it is a great idea to incorporate science in everyday by teaching students that science is more that what we let ourselves think. I think that your fear can be very helpful because you can help students who are afraid of science become more interested in the topic and you can really become a positive influence to them because you kind of know the fear of teaching so it can help you sort of relate to the fear of learning. Thanks for sharing your thoughts because its reassuring to know there are more people like me.

Being a classroom science teacher has at least one thing in common with being a lawyer. They say a good lawyer never asks a question he/she doesn't already know the answer to. Try not to get yourself into a corner by always answering "WHY." There will be many, many times that you do not know the answer, and perhaps no one else does either!! Begin the year instilling in students' minds the concept that science is so vast in breadth and depth that there is NO ONE on the planet who knows all of the answers. I tell them that a scientist can choose just one tiny question about nature, and spend an entire lifetime studying just that, and still not know everything about "it." Help them to understand this statement: "Every time we answer one question, we discover many, many new questions." Then just explain what you know, and tell them there may be no books written yet which hold the answer they seek. I also keep a "GREAT QUESTIONS" list on the back of my door. 1.When I am asked something I know can be researched, I challenge the class to research it, reward them for doing so, and schedule a time for them to share their research. 2.I also let them watch me jot unanswered questions down on the chart behind the door, and I will research them as I get time do to so. 3.It is also great to make contacts, and assemble a list of numbers and names of people you can ask questions of. It usually pleases science professors/instructors a lot when you ask them if you can keep their name on a list of references for answering difficult questions. then invite them to speak to your class, and introduce them as the person you call when you "don't know." I find that stark honesty about the complexity of science fields helps the children to appreciate how complex the entire world is...to see ourselves as the tiny ants living in the accacia tree ( see my earlier post on this strand.) 4.It also helps to talk about the germ on the germ, on the germ, on the germ, on the germ, on the germ, in the bloodstream of the flea on the mouse...and that every time we invent a stronger microscope we find there is that there is more and more to see. The wonder, the awe, the contemplation of infinite complexity is a marvelous thing to impart. and it saves you from being judged and found lacking.

Kendra Young Kendra Young 17180 Points

Hi Wanda, I really liked your idea for the questions on the back of the door. I was wondering about your list of professionals - do you ever let students contact them directly for answers? I've considered doing this before but never have. I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this - and if so - how the kids and the pros seemed to feel about it. Thanks! Kendra

Lori Towata Lori Towata 2825 Points

Wanda, I never thought of a great questions door. That works on so many levels other than for just science! In the past I've used a question book--called "wonder and discover" book that is a filled with filler paper for students to have a running research booklet that is shared by the class. Perhaps that question set could also be part of my wonder and discover book. In recent years, my school has been studying up strategies for Singapore-styled-math instruction. We've seen pictures of the math environments created by schools in Singapore. I propose that the science in the school community environment. We already have multiple grade levels with gardens and aquatic systems in their class. Maybe I could ask my colleagues to do a mini tour of classrooms as a "science field trip"! I love this thread and the thoughts that make science more accessible! Lori

Sandra Dolbin Sandra Dolbin 4985 Points

I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this threaded discussion. Many of the themes and issues that each person has touched on in this thread, has probably been asked by every elementary teacher at one time or another. I agree that as elementary teachers, science is a bit more challenging to teach in terms of the inquiry process. It is reasonable to say that elementary teachers may require a bit more “support” in the sense that the students may not quite be mature enough to conduct the labs independently. It would truly help the elementary teacher if there were a PPT or PTT in the room to provide an extra set of eyes and hands with the students as they go through the investigation. Unfortunately, with so much of the school budget being reduced, there is no money to hire any extra support personnel. Hence, the vicious cycle; however, that shouldn’t be a deterrent for elementary teachers. It is possible to teach inquiry in a positive and engaging manner. I speak from firsthand knowledge when I make that statement. I know most people don’t want to hear this, however, inquiry at the elementary level requires much organization and thought. The students need to be taught the process and shown the process in a guided and thoughtful manner, making sure that it is grade level appropriate. I would suggest that inquiry be done in a guided manner at least for the first couple of labs. When the teacher is able to observe the majority of students conducting the process in a competent manner (mind you not all students will ever be at that point), and is comfortable with where the students are in their development, she may be able to allow the students to conduct the next lab in pairs or possibly small groups. I must say that I don’t allow the students to conduct labs independently at my grade level (fourth grade). By the second semester the students are (for the most part) ready to conduct the labs without as much support and guidance from me. At that point, I usually pair them up or put them in small groups to work on the process. Of course, the teacher does still need to diligently monitor the groups and offer support or suggestions should the need arise. Inquiry is possible at the elementary level, however, it does require much thought, organization, a gradual release of responsibility and some prep time. This is not always easy as elementary teachers often have to wear many different “hats” throughout the day (teacher, counselor, parent, disciplinarian, etc…) not to mention, to also be responsible to teach all content areas. I definitely understand why many elementary teachers prefer to conduct the inquiry process in a guided and whole group manner and willingly acknowledge the difficulties that an elementary teacher faces within the school day.

It can definitely be intimidating to teach science content, especially at the elementary level where teachers are truly amazing jacks of all trades. As Chris pointed out, science is all around us, but sometimes it is a challenge to find the connection between everyday life and what we are learning/teaching in science class. Famed calculus teacher Jamie Escalante had a quote on his wall that said "I don't make calculus easy, it already is." I've modified that phrase to read, "I don't make science easy, it already is," and then use this as a launching point not only to teach my students, but also to instill in them a sense of wonder and exploration. The challenge is linking science to their everyday life so it's easier for the kids to understand and easier for me to effectively teach. For instance, when teaching 5th grade students about f=ma, I took the kids out on the play ground with basketballs. First we throw then without much "force", then we increased the "force" and observe what happens. We then discuss the mass. Did the mass change? No. Did the force change? Yes. What else did this effect? Using activities like these help students recognize science in their everyday lives. As Jessica and Eunice highlighted, it can be overwhelming to effectively teach multiple subjects at the elementary level. In my first year of elementary teaching, I was paired with a mentor teacher who helped me develop the skills and methods to have a great first year. She helped me with everything from classroom management ideas to lesson planning resources. She was always available to answer questions or help me with challenges. Our school had a formal mentoring program, but I'm sure if your school doesn't have a formal program, you'll be able to find an experienced teacher at your school who will be willing to take you under his or her wing.

Katie Gauvin Katie Gauvin 665 Points

This has been a very informative and interesting community forum. Like many of you have mentioned before it can be very difficult to be a master of so many things at once. Thus I am curious to know, what are some of your very own favorite topics that have been successful, that you like to teach that integrate science, math, reading, and writing into one?

Due to the complexity of conducting labs with children, I have often done "demonstration labs" being careful to discuss eery aspect of what I am demonstrating to them...touching on lab safety of each action, asking guiding questions, giving pointers, preparing them to do labs themselves with every statement or question I pose. I then ask them to complete lab reports just as though they did the lab themselves. After several of those, I begin to let them conduct their own labs by giving them step by step directions. One thing that might help inexperienced science teachers is to pair yourself with a teacher who is adept at labs, and conduct a few together, with two or three volunteer parents as asistants, roaming about helping the students to focus and follow directions. After helping another teacher do it a few times, you will find your courage rising. But you must be careful to try only labs which you understand well. The preparation time cannot be stressed too much. After you conduct the lab, take careful notes of methods or sequences you need to change. Breaking down an activity step by step is best done thoughtfully, and gradually, after using it again and again. It can be impossible to think of everything through the eyes of the children, and get it perfect the first time. Do not expect that of yourself. give yourself room to improve every time you venture forth - - in the afterthought process. There may be retired science teachers in your community who would be pleased as punch to help you do a few labs...let them lead if they are inclined to do so, and don't appologize for needing to learn from them. They have been where you are. Do not try to invent the wheel alone.

Kendra asked a question that I wanted to respond to. She asked whether I had ever allowed the childrren to call one of my recruited "experts" on their own. I did once. Some of them called the community's favorite weatherman and asked a couple of obscure questions about hurricanes. He told them all that he wasn't going to do their homework for them, and hung up on them. I believe the news station lost followers that night. If I ever do it again, I will assign only 1 or 2 students to call a certain expert...but then I can imagine those 2 won't call. Now I imagine it spiraling out of control in a begative way. I haven't figured out how to organize the situation so that resources won't be wasted, and no one's feelings will be hurt by a poor response. Guidance on that, anyone??

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

My only suggestion, Wanda, would be to communicate your wish with the expert that day. If he/she is willing to take a couple of phone calls or emails and knows about it ahead of time, I would think that would resolve any negative backlash.
We had our local meteorologist come to our school and she told the students they could email her anytime. I imagine she has interns who field her emails and answer many of the student queries. I am sorry you had that bad experience - especially your students.
Also, there are several 'Ask a Scientist' websites available to students (and teachers). I live in Illinois, so our Argonne National Laboratory has a URL for asking questions, too. It also has an archive of previously asked questions.

Terry Farley Terry Farley 2530 Points

I am currently a student teacher and I just want to know how do you keep up with all the changes that is happening in the field of education,especially science.

Terry,

Just asking the question is a move in the right direction, then making some time for reading & reflecting ( although this is sometimes impossible )

I have one recommendation which came off the press this summer, The A Framework for K-12 Science Education written by an esteemed group of scientists and science educators.
Framework for K-12 Science Education. I would recommwnend reading at leasr the first four chapters and so I have attached them for your convenience.

Attachments

NAP_1-4.pdf (0.36 Mb)

NAP5-15.pdf (0.37 Mb)

NAP5-15.pdf (0.37 Mb)

NAP_16-28.pdf (0.39 Mb)

NAP_29-60.pdf (0.53 Mb)

Patricia Reid Patricia Reid 1850 Points

Deanna, I know exactly what you mean; it's like the children today have no time to be kids. Some go to preschool all day and then right into Kindergarten. Preschools in Hawaii are getting academic, so they have not as much time to be kids. At my school, we have no quiet time any more (couldn't say nap, so it was quiet time) for about 2 years. We need to have bell to bell teaching, in which there is no slack time (I wait for most of my students to use bathroom before sending them in the room to review rhyming words) during the day. We teachers are feeling the stress about getting the students reading and writing before the end of the year and I wonder if it is transferring to the students. Why can't we teach a lesson for fun and not assess every lesson. I also have about 23 students to assess each quarter; that's why I am going to use checklist whenever possible. My students do way better in discussing the topic and not as much when it comes to writing. After they write, they read to me what they wrote even in the 2nd semester. Another idea might be to have you read the question and the students circle the answer as you read it. If possible use happy and unhappy faces for them to circle and limit their reading and writing since they forget the question and write off topic. Pat

Cheri Alonzo Cheri Alonzo 1995 Points

Hi Wanda, I am taking a class in which we had to have a plan in which our students had to contact a community person in regards to our topic - conservation. It's ironic that you wrote about the weatherman that hung up on the students (terrible!) because that was what I thought about as I was creating my plan - what if someone was rude to my students. So, I decided I would call contacts first to find people that were agreeable to talking to my students. I would also have a list of questions to pass on so the contact would have time to think of answers. Although it is fictitous, as I didn't actually have to do this, it could happen. Terry - I absolutely know what you mean about keeping up and sane with all the changes. I just take one day at a time, keep a good calendar and am thankful I have a job. And, alot of deep breaths! Have a good day all :) cheri

Cheri, I was in charge of student projects for many years and I always contacted scientists and community members or organizations prior to putting those contacts on a list of feasible contacts for my students. The goal is for the student to experience a positive interaction and to grow in confidence and understanding, not to be rebuffed by an outside professional. A little science hurt, even unintentional, can damage an educational experience. Students knew that I had contacted the personnel resources and that they were good to go and no student ever felt that my paving the way intruded on the learning experience. So, it is grand that you mentioned your strategy on this thread, Thanks a bunch. ~patty

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers