Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / Remote Teaching and Learning

Distance Learning

Remote Teaching and Learning

Author Post

How can students engage in an interactive science lesson through remote learning? Any recommendations for interactive science websites?

Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

Grade level and subject matter will drive the resources. At the high school and college level, I find the following very strong resources:

• PhET (they also offer teacher-created instructions/student questions that you can adopt/modify)
  • ChemCollective 

I've been seeing a lot of emails from textbook reps where they are offering their online platforms for free (if you weren't already requiring that for your students). Norton, Wiley, and others all offer interactive online assessments with immediate answer-specific feedback. Some platforms are even adaptive, with questions tailored to each student based on performance on previous assessment questions. 

Brielle Davis Brielle Davis 480 Points

I would recommend Kahoot! Kahoot! is a game-based learning platform, used as educational technology in schools and other educational institutions. Its learning games, 'Kahoots', are multiple-choice quizzes that allow user generation and can be accessed via a web browser or the Kahoot app. 

-Brielle Davis

Jennifer Hicks Jennifer Hicks 680 Points

There a lot of ways to gets students engaging with Science online. Now that distance learning is a way of life many companies that you have used before are opening up platforms to better assist teachers and students. One of those is Flinn Scientific who are offering a series of at home labs for students. Here is the link to those labs: Flinn Scientific.

I also agree with several of the other posters saying that PhET simulations are a great tool to show students hands on concepts on a digital platform. Also most of the Phet simulators come with premade worksheets that other teacher have put together which is very helpful. 

Ashley GIbson Ashley GIbson 775 Points

Hi Lianne,

I just found out about this website called Wonderville. It is a great interactive site that allows parents, teachers, and students to create their own accounts. On the website, there are videos, games, and career profiles that introduce possible careers to future little scientists. Attached is the link to the website. Hope this helps!

https://wonderville.org/

Sincerely,

Ashley Gibson

Charissa Barnhill Charissa Barnhill 2434 Points

There is a website called Gizmos (https://www.explorelearning.com) and it has lots of online simulations for both middle and high school students. I have also found that ck-12 can be a great resource for helping teach a topic. It provides students a reading and then they have to answer 10 practice questions correctly. The practice questions get more difficult as they get them correct as a way of differentiation and will provide the teacher with data on if the student is exploring the topic or has mastery over the topic.

Jossy Cubillo Jossy Cubillo 786 Points

Good Morning,

In remote learning, there is this website Discovery Education which they have games, videos and you can assign a lesson to the students 

https://www.discoveryeducation.com/

I hope this website works for you,

Regards,

Jossy Cubillo

Patricia Tamez Patricia Tamez 335 Points

Kahoot is a fun game to keep all the students engaged, and you are able to customize the game to add any topic and questions you want to use.

Is there any other activities that any of you can share that would works as well? 

As a student myself, I find it most beneficial to have group work in a time like this. By having groups, students can ask within themselves any questions they have that they might feel scared or intimidated to ask over a zoom classroom. 

Madison Hiestand Madison Hiestand 350 Points

Integrating interactive science into education is exciting but also a difficult task with remote learning. There are many different strategies to incorporate an engaging lesson so that students are not just sitting at the computer watching. I am a preservice teacher at Wartburg College and am going to be student teaching next year in the fall and found this website as a great resource for online learning. The website I found, Community Resources at Home, (https://www.crscience.org/educators/ScienceNights/) has helped me discover activities students can easily access at home. These are at home materials that allow students to be hands- on to gain experiences of science and make real world connections to it. Although the website does not have modules or games the students can complete onlne, the materials and hands-on labs are a great resource for the student and their families to engage in real life science. 

Kelsey Funkhouser Kelsey Funkhouser 1280 Points

I do not have any interactive science websites, but I agree with many of the other replies and think that Kahoot is espically a very fun interactive website. Another idea would be to maybe I also know that there are interactive disection websites as well as virtual experiments. Coolmath might even have some interactive science games for students to learn from!

Mary Potter Mary Potter 745 Points

One of my favorite ways to get students more engaged in any lesson is to have them take it outside! Whether they are doing observations, trying to find something through a scavenger hunt, or any other outside science activity you can think of is a sure way to get students more excited to do science (even at home).

Sarah Campbell Sarah Campbell 415 Points

Hi Lianne, 

I am a perservice teacher at Wartburg and will be student teaching in the winter of next year. Having hands-on activities in science for students to interact with is important but can be more challenging as we are learning remotely. National Geographic Kids is a website that I came across that has a variety of different activities that studens can interact with. Personality quizzes, games, books, magazines, and labs are just a few of the resources students can gain from this website. At home labs can be a fun activitiy for students and their families to complete together. 

Hopefully the website that I provided below helps students engage in interactive science lessons through remote learning!

https://kids.nationalgeographic.com 

Autumn Miller Autumn Miller 640 Points

I feel like remote learning is not the easiest especially with what is going on right now. However, that does not mean it is not helpful. I feel remote learning can help students with certain skills. I also feel like it helps them prepare for the future. 

I think that BrainPop is a great and amazing science interactive website! I used this when I was in elementary school and LOVED IT! It doesn't just have science, but it also have a lot of other subject areas too! 

https://www.brainpop.com/ 

Susana Castillo Susana Castillo 1525 Points

Right now, I'm doing field work at an elementary school, and my cooperating teacher is teaching virtually online and she uses Seesaw as her way to have students to do activities. Also, she uses Seesaw to post homework and uses as her platform for her students to get all the information. It sort of like Canvas which I use for college, and it has my classes that I'm taking. She has that in Seesaw separating the classes into a different tabs. The nice part about Seesaw is that it's super easy to use, and you can get access to other teacher's lessons that have done before for FREE! You can add edit the lesson or can even create your own activity/lesson. The nice part is that you can record your voice explaining the instructions for the students who struggle in reading. As well, you provide feedback to the student if they need to do more improvements on the activity or homework. You can either do it by commenting on their submission or voice recording. You can send it back to the students to make corrections before approving it. Once approving it, you can't have them make more improvememts. Lastly, parents can get access to Seesaw to see if they children are doing the activities. 

Chad James Capote Chad James Capote 200 Points

In my experience, I have found PhET and BrainPOP to be good interactive learning resources. 

Alicia Koszyk Alicia Koszyk 600 Points

Hi Lianne, 

I have found websites such as National Geographic Kids, which is filled with videos, games, fun facts, etc. I also have seen NASA Kids Club advertise. Another good one is the Smithsonian Institute, each of their museums has a website and children can play games as well as explore pictures of the artifacts and exhibits for each museum. (So maybe try the Air and Space Museum?). 

Jessica Patino Jessica Patino 580 Points

A good way to have students engage in science lessons is maybe collaborating with a local zoo. The zoo and your classroom could do a Zoom call and they could show students different animals and let students ask questions about them when the zookeeper is finished talking about each animal. 

Danielle Sullivan Danielle Sullivan 1390 Points

Hey Lianne! This year I completed my Clinical Experience II remotely in a third grade science classroom. During my time in the virtual classroom setting, I was introduced to a review game called Blooket. My cooperating teacher used this game in her classroom to review science material and vocabulary prior to the students’ unit tests. The third graders loved to play the games: Crazy Kingdom and Café while competing against their classmates. Teachers can create their own set for review or use a pre-existing set. I really recommend this interactive website; it is an educational yet fun resource for both educators and students! I will paste the link down below.

Sincerely, 

Danielle Sullivan

Link for Blooket: https://www.blooket.com/

Brittany Culp 120 Points

I always loves kahoot in school and it is a fun way to test the students and also get feedback of who needs extra help. 

Graceland Greener Graceland Greener 2100 Points

There are lots of interactive websites for students to interact with each other, one of them is padlet. Padlet allows the teachers to come up with a discussion topic and students can reply to the topic and with each other! You can find other websites if you google 'interactive websites for students', I hope this helps!

Tony Valdez Tony Valdez 220 Points

I think of showing a video based on what you are teaching, give students some questions to answer based on the video to assess their understanding, then do an interactive activity from websites that offer that. I can’t think of many website at this time that offer that kind of stuff, but I think giving them interactive ebooks to look at may get their attention.

Shayla Ball Shayla Ball 650 Points

Hi! I feel like kahoot would be a really good one to use. You can also go to certain zoo websites because they have interactive sites the students can see the animals with! 

Vanessa Sanchez Vanessa Sanchez 490 Points

Hello! There are many resources available for students such as Kahoot, Quizziz, The Exploratorium, BrainPop, and much more. In the school I work with, the teachers used a lot of self-made activities with Peardeck and Nearpod but encouraged the students to use the sites above to enhance their learning. They also mainly had students go outside and explore thier surroundings. They had discussions of what the students saw and it made great discussions turn into great lessons

Claire Johnson Claire Johnson 370 Points

In order to keep students engaged during a lesson, experiments and creative outlooks are important. Students enjoy a different form of learning and interaction. 

Thais De Leon Thais De Leon 485 Points

These days with our advanced technology there are, in my opinion, many ways to have an interactive science lesson through remote learning. One way would be using Google Classroom as it can help teachers and students share files, create assignments, and communicate with each other, not to mention it's free of charge!

Raechel Waddy Raechel Waddy 965 Points

Although Nearpod is not solely a science website, they have done a great job of integrating PhET simulations into its platform. Every time I do a PhET lab I like to start on Nearpod because you can present as much or as little of the simulation at a time while also checking student understanding.

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Thanks Lianne for getting us started.  At NSTA we compiled a list of resources suggested by educators. The list can be accessed at the collection below. This may be just a starting point...hope it helps.

https://learningcenter.nsta.org/mylibrary/collection.aspx?id=R2UEnDteWYQ_E

Could others share additional resources/strategies regarding remote teaching?

Take care,

Flavio.

Brandon Ramirez Brandon Ramirez 685 Points

HI Flavio, 

Thanks for the post of all the resources. Is there a bestg place to look for middle school science specifically? 

Autumn Miller Autumn Miller 640 Points

I think that BrainPop is an amazing remote learning website for students to use! It is fun and it teaches the students what they need to know! 

Jamie Frain Jamie Frain 30 Points

Thank you for offering this forum.  Any resources and counsel on the handling of remote labs?

Robin Madel Robin Madel 110 Points

Thank you for creating this list.

I work on a website about water footprints that has been a big hit with teachers. It has lesson plans (with both in-class and out-of-class activities) for middle- and high-school students that could be easily adapted for younger or older students. I'll post some links to the different types of content below. Check it out if you get a chance.

watercalculator.org - links to the water footprint calculator

water footprint lessons - links to middle-and high-school water footprint lesson plans

educator resources - links to information for teachers, students and younger kids, and includes lists of websites about water

Aqua: Save Water - links to a youtube video about about a girl and her dog who help their family save water when their reservoir runs low

We also have tips and losts of content about the connections between water, food and energy systems. Enjoy!

Billy Huggins Billy Huggins Points

Wow, what a resource! Thank you!

Brittany Wolford Brittany Wolford 1162 Points

I have used the water footprint lessons in the past with the help of another middle school teacher! These are very helpful and meaningful rousources!!

Stephanie Rojas Stephanie Rojas 1495 Points

Hi Robin! Thank you so much for sharing these amazing resources! These are great to use for a lesson on environmental science or conserving water. I think, especially now that we are doing distance learning, having a list of online resources available to engage our students in their remote learning is essential! These sample lesson plans and activities would be a good way to keep students interested in science since they are not able to participate in hands-on classroom activities. I also love that the lessons are adaptable to different grade levels! Thank you again for sharing; I'll definitely be adding this to my list of future classroom resources.

Lisa Gardiner Lisa Gardiner 170 Points

At the UCAR Center for Science Education, we surveyed all our existing educational resources to identify which ones would work with students learning at home. Here's the link to the resource collection: Help K-12 Students Learn About Earth from Home. There is a lot for middle school in this resource page.

Sara Ordonez Sara Ordonez 620 Points

I would recommend zoom, it is a great resource and is very easy to navigate. In particular, I have been receiving university courses using this platform and it has been going really well because the teacher can engage with students and everyone can participate. Similarly, a great feature that I love about zoom is that it allows you to share your screen, meaning that you can display powerpoints and videos during your sessions and  this really promotes student learning. The only concern that I see with zoom specially with the younger students is that everyone has an access to internet and a device, other than that I consider is agreat tool that can be use from elementary all the way to the university courses. 

Hope that my advice helps. 

Melinda Lape Melinda Lape 657 Points

With everything that has been mentioned, I highly recommend all of those resources.  Something that I've always found useful though, is that students gain a much deeper understanding once they get their hands on these investigations and experiments.  With the whole distance learning going on, it is much more difficult to get materials especially those related to science which can be more expensive.  There are always experiments and investigations that can be done at home and that are safe for the students.  Have them create their own experiment or replicate one with materials they can find at the house or purchase from a Dollar General, etc.  Make sure they record their demonstration and reflect upon their findings.  Then you can review the videos they submit using GoReact or Flipgrid.  There are tons of experiments that can be done at home, you just have to google them or most of the time I can find them for free on teachers pay teachers.  Hope this helps!

Hannah Wheatley Hannah Wheatley 640 Points

I love this idea! Thank you so much for sharing. We are beginning to look at how to implement more and more virtual learning here in KY and these at home experiments will be a great asset for hands on learning. GoReact is a great resource to give feedback on as well!

Terran Miller Terran Miller 315 Points

When working with remote teaching and learning, what are good strategies that work for students who have IEPS or 504 plans? 

Denise Wright Denise Wright 480 Points

Hi, this is an excellent question. I taught full time online science from 2011- 2017. It depends on the students 504 or IEP. Some accomodations were to provide an actual textbook vs just the online text. Also, students had extended time on assignments, more than one attempt on an assignment, or some questions were eliminated in that particular assignment. Any assignments that had a timer had that feature removed. Also, when it came to accessability we had to make sure every video was closed captioned, all images were alt tagged, which enabled them to be read by a screen reader, and all online weblinks opened in a separate web tab. All  online science courses had to have a certain type of font and color. This way it would not impact a student with visual disabilites. In some cases when writing online courses I would make sure the directions were written in addition to auditory.  If a student had a 504 or IEP I would just work with them so they were successful.  Many of these accomodations, I mentioned though,  help all students since we all learn differently. As we know one size does not fit all.   Thanks, Denise Wright, former full time online science teacher

Zach Millan Zach Millan 639 Points

Gizmo (under ExploreLearning) has some in depth virtual labs that are free to use, however this is a great time for student directed experimentation! One lesson I am working on is in conjunction with our math department where we will have students design a garden in their backyard or in an empty space. Students will have to create a sun map of their location along with documenting any plants or animals that may affect their garden. Although students may not be able to actually make their garden, it has students considering biotic and abiotic factors that could affect crop growth through their own discovery.

Camillia Ledbetter Camillia Ledbetter 960 Points

At the middle school level, I recommend using Legends of Learning. This is a standards-based platform that allows students to learn/ review information in a fun and creative way. Students are able to apply the knowledge that they have acquired in this online scenario. Often times the games bring a real-world aspect to the science. For example, I recently covered land and sea breezes with my 6th-grade students. The Legends of Learning game involved the student transporting people in a hot air balloon. They had to use their knowledge of land and sea breezes to transport the people in time. Great and fun resource!

Sophia Almeida Sophia Almeida 380 Points

If possible you can even video tape yourself doing these interactive activities. This will help with any frustration for those visual learners in your class as well as parents who want to provide the necessary tools for their children. Hope this helps and maybe sparks some ideas!

Adielys Trincado Adielys Trincado 783 Points

Considering that Science is very dependent on hands-on activities, I think that remote learning poses a challenge for teachers to keep the authenticity of the Science core curriculum. However, going through this experience with the Coronavirus and relying on remote learning as the only way to educate students it is important to think about strategies that can help students engage in hands-on activities. In order to do this, I think that teachers can provide videos of easy at-home experiements that students can do on their own, provide an instructional video that students can follow from the comfort of their home, or have them complete an interactive lab online! 

Josette Andrews 295 Points

I have biology classes that were getting ready for dissections.  I found the Glencoe Virtual Lab site and it has virtual labs for more than just the one discipline.

https://www.biologycorner.com/worksheets/virtual_labs_glencoe.html

My students appreciate the change.  I also have Pearson online license that I have used the last two years.  Great series K-8; Elevate Science.  

Jennifer Hicks Jennifer Hicks 680 Points

That is really interesting that there are online dissections available for remote learning. his ay even be a viable option when there are students who woud prefer not to dissect an animal. This platform also allows students to repeat and go back to do the dissections again which will increase understanding and mastery. I have not had a chance to look at Pearson online but it sounds like an interesting resource. 

Online dissection videos and even simulations offer as much of the same experience as possible. Thank you for sharing Glencoe! There is always a perk of not having to YouTube certain things, especially for younger students. 

Lily Albertson Lily Albertson 530 Points

I think now is a great time to get students doing observations outdoors. There are so many things they can learn from just taking a walk around their neighborhood or looking in their own backyard. They can create their own research paper from what they observe. Allowing the students to pick the topic may really help grow their interest in the sciences.

I love the encouragement to get out and about! As we in KY are gathering our thoughts on how to best serve our students this fall, I think getting them out and involved after a long summer at home for a learning purpose will be a great thing. Structure may look different, but giving them something a little familiar will always help, and giving them an easygoing assignment is a great way to introduce them back into the school environment. 

Chad James Capote Chad James Capote 200 Points

It might not be that easy. Yes, it is important for students to get out, observe, and apply. But it is challenging to extract good research/academic work by taking a stroll. It also depends on the age group we are addressing. Along with going out and observing, I have been asking students with an interest in STEM to read the elementary texts. I have recommended them from this list of popular highschool textbooks. Reading them and trying to answer all the questions at the end of the chapter can make their basics strong and make any interest worthy. I then dedicate some time for doubt solving and discussion and also allow my students to make presentations on the core concepts of their liking. Once the basics and fundamentals are set right, any observation or interest can turn into good research work. 

Sofia Duarte Sofia Duarte 325 Points

When working in a remote learning setting what is one way to ensure that students are understanding the concept and incorporate all students? 

Ashley Aguilera Ashley Aguilera 305 Points

Hello! I think it can be a challenge ensuring all students are learning and participating remotely. I love websites like kahoot because they are fun for students and also allow for the teacher to do a formative assessment. Students love using games like this and you can see where the misconceptions are as kahoot shows how much of the class picked a certain answer. However, students cannot see which classmates chose the wrong answer which I think is a great feature as well! 

Randy Russell Randy Russell 620 Points

Here is a list of games, simulations, and virtual labs for assorted science topics, from a variety of sources, with brief reviews and screenshots; suitable for use in an online curriculum: https://flyrussell.com/reviews

Joanne Vakil Joanne Vakil 10 Points

I recommend a lot of the interactive, low-cost or free, and already prepared Nearpod science activities. My favorites have the 360 degree view in Nearpod VR, such as the bumper car one featuring the concept of force.

Here are a few websites I have seen preservice teachers use remotely with their mentor teachers when they co-taught lessons either asynhronously, via videorecording using https://edpuzzle.com/, or synchronously during a zoom class/office hour: 

https://phet.colorado.edu/ (Hooke's Law and more)

http://virtualbiologylab.org/ (population genetics)

https://www.decodingcancer.org/resources (virtual precision medicine lab)

Andrea Lancaster Andrea Lancaster 1155 Points

I agree with previous posts about trying simple at home experiments that can be done with minimal supplies outdoors.

Morganne Sweat Morganne Sweat 1195 Points

I really like Kahoot and Quizlet live to get students involved. It makes it fun for them and they are still learning something. 

Destiny Myers Destiny Myers 640 Points

I don't have a specific science website but I agree with what some others may have said. I think that the typical Kahoot and Quizlet are great websites to keeo students interactive! You could have the procedure steps as the questions on kahoot and have the students answers be the correct thing to do during each step, or something to that effect! I also think that creating/thinking of some activities where the students might have the things already at their home or are available to get outside (leaves or anything in nature) would be a great way to keep them interactive for science lessons! 

Kenadee Gallagher Kenadee Gallagher 290 Points

I actually have found quite a few games relating to science on pbskids.org!! One I really thought was interesting was the plant growing one! 

Breanne Svoboda Breanne Svoboda 70 Points

Here are some resources we have discussed a fair amount at my school. They are not science specific, but should help make remote learning more interactive!

If you have access to the Google Education Suite, Google Jamboards are a really neat way for students to collaborate on a virtual whiteboard. Bonus is that it integrates well with Google Classroom.

A web-based app called Hypothesis (https://web.hypothes.is/) is an interesting tool I'm using to have students annotate and engage with text collaboratively. It may not be as friendly to elementary students, but I'm not as familiar with that age group. I know some of our MS teachers are using it.

Padlet is a neat tool where students can post responses and then they can be sorted, color coded, etc. When in-person I do a lot of activities with sticky notes where students put down their questions and ideas and then we sort them, create timelines, models, etc. Padlet seems to be a good virtual tool for that. One of our 6th grade science teachers uses Padlet religiously (even when in person) to get students to post their 'wonders'.

Quizizz is one I haven't tried myself yet, but it was demonstrated for us by a colleague and it seems like it could be a really useful tool especially for formative assessments on content. There are lots of different modes you can use to create questions to make them more engaging and if you select that option, Quizizz will automatically add funny memes between questions.

EdPuzzle is a tool that allows you to embed questions into videos at strategic points. So if you assign a YouTube video for example, you could put questions that check for understanding at certain key points.

Finally, something I am really liking so far is digital interactive notebooks using Google Slides. There are lots of videos available with examples, you can find free templates and paid templates on Teachers Pay Teachers. So far I'm finding that they take a long time to create, but once you've created them, they make life a lot easier! If a student is absent or for some reason loses connection, you can just make sure they know which slides you're working off of that day. It seems to be sort of a virtual equivalent of a lab notebook that has students keep everything in one place.

Katie Andrews Katie Andrews 675 Points

Kahoot is a great source for quizzing the children on their knowledge. There are also websites where you can virtually disect different animals. I cannot wait to gain more experience and learn of more websites to use!

Madalyne Young Madalyne Felton 2230 Points

I think that teachers can find great videos on YouTube about discrepant events that would get kids thinking. Then students can Observe the event, come up with 'I wonder' statements, make a plan for an investigation, and then do the investigation (if possible) if it is not possible then students could write in their science notebooks how they would conduct their experiment and what hypothesis they have. Maybe when students finally get to return to school the teachers could pick a few of the experiments to do together as a class!

Madeline Henderson Madeline Henderson 285 Points

To get students learning virtually to perform science experiments, having them do fun, easy activities from their homes will allow them to learn in creative ways. Outside observations is an effective way for every student to learn equally through drawing and writing about what they experience outside. This can be related to leaves in a changing  season or the temperature changes from dawn to dusk. Every student has an outdoor space that they could experiment with. 

Jacqueline Venrick Jacqueline Venrick 570 Points

Sometimes it takes a bit of work to find the best way to teach your students. There are plenty of science related websites where you can watch science experiments, you could have students do an experiment with everyday household items that they could start getting together the week before, etc... You could do a science lesson over zoom in your classroom or at home, a kahoot, a quizlet, or even google classroom. You could even use all of these resources and post them to google classroom. Brainpop us a good resource for videos. You just have to put the work into looking for the best way to teach your students.

Betsy Edgar Betsy Edgar 120 Points

If you have any opportunity to work with Pear Deck, it is a wonderful addition to remote learning. I am fortunate that my school chose to purchase the license to use for us. I don't know how much it is, but if you can't afford it, try DonorsChoose.

Kelsey Funkhouser Kelsey Funkhouser 1280 Points

I am a future teacher and have been observing at an elementary school! The teacher has still been doing experiments along with different hands on activities students can do on their own. The teacher and students all just have to take the steps of being extra careful with social distancing. For the students who are not in the classroom the teacher pre records the lessons.

I am a future teacher and have been observing at an elementary school for my field placement. My students are hybrid right now. When my students are at home, their teacher assigns Mystery Doug videos for them to watch. I know it is not the same as having a real science lesson, however, my students get really into the videos and I have often heard discussions about the videos with their classmates. 

Mitchell Crothers Mitchell Crothers 280 Points

I am a future teacher and have been observing at an elementary school for my field experience. My class is all virtual so my teacher records his lessons and posts them for his class to watch. He does experiments and records them and they are great videos!

Phoebe Walters Phoebe Walters 10 Points

Hello guys! Just wanted to let you know i've been using Twinkl for all of my remote teaching classes as I persuaded by head-teacher to adopt this method and it's been such a great experience, they have EVERY resource you could possibly imagine, and with a membership you're able to create your own resources! This has been a godsend for me and it's allowed me to create bespoke resources for my children!!

Check out the reousce editor!

https://www.twinkl.co.nz/create

Victoria Clark Victoria Clark 515 Points

A resource that I have found to be incredibly helpful during remote learning is Notability. It allows students to save worksheets and different activities onto their iPad's (a one-to-one situation), and then draw, write, and highlight what they want. They then can turn this into Canvas (the learning platform my school is using) where I can see all they've done. This allows for students to work individually, as well as eliminate paper in the classroom. This has been incredibly helpful for me during these challenging times! 

Andrea Myers Andrea Myers 3675 Points

Notability...sounds great!

Natalia Rosas Natalia Rosas 225 Points

Hi Lianne! 

I highly recommend a Kahoot game or maybe even an interactive website where the students can participate as a class via remote learning. These are hard times but do not beat yourself up about these things. We are all learning new ways to keep students engaged via remote learning every day. 

I've heard of Kahoot...need to try it out.

Natalia Rosas Natalia Rosas 225 Points

Hi Lianne! 

I highly recommend a Kahoot game or maybe even an interactive website where the students can participate as a class via remote learning. These are hard times but do not beat yourself up about these things. We are all learning new ways to keep students engaged via remote learning every day. 

Mariana Gonzalez Mariana Gonzalez 775 Points

Hello! A couple interactive science websites that I like are Gizmos and Generation Genius.

https://www.explorelearning.com/

https://www.generationgenius.com/

Another way to keep the stuents engaged during your science lesson is by having interactive slides and brain breaks. Having a 5 minute brain break through the day really helps the students to be able to concentrate more. 

Brain breaks...love it!

Got it...thanks.

Jordan Downing Jordan Downing 320 Points

A couple of my favorites as a student are quizlet live and kahoot. I love how these two platforms add the competitiveness to the subject. Personally, I always felt like I learned my best when there was a fun game involved. I definitely plan on using these in my classroom!

I've heard lots about quizlet...need to give it a try.

I watch an educator on YouTube (Pocketful of Primary) that has shown how she uses Nearpod to teach all of her lessons. I really think she does a great job explaining how to use it and the benefits of using Nearpod for virtual learning. Here is the link to that specific video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDfmsnq9Qg0 

Nearpod...hmmm.

Kayla Cavazos Kayla Cavazos 845 Points

I tried to read as many responses as I could to see if anyone already said this and didnt see it but I apologize if I missed someone who already said this: https://mysteryscience.com/lessons/distance-learning 

This resource has many different lesson plans ranging from K-5 and a section specifically for distance learning. I recently taught a virtual lesson that was based off a lesson from this site that wasnt even on the distance learning tab. Most of the lessons come with Google Form versions of the plan and include editable pdf versions of worksheets. The lessons include a video, an activity, an assessment, and extension activities. Overall, I thought it was a great resource!! 

Agreed.

Jacob Smith Jacob Smith 615 Points

Nearpod has worked very well in my classes

Samantha Molina Samantha Molina 480 Points

I am a Special Education Teacher Assistant for high school and I have seen how using Kahoot and Class Dojo keep them engaged. Simple questions with multiple choice and a friendly competition works well. I also keep in contact daily with the parents and students to make sure the students login daily. 

Alicia Koszyk Alicia Koszyk 600 Points

I just remebered Science Buddies is a great one! Also Scratch for Engineering topics

Treacy Sayres Treacy Sayres 305 Points

Find ways to have students actively participate in lessons using tools like Jamboard, Google Slides sticky notes, break rooms, and digital journals.

Natalie Nieves Natalie Nieves 580 Points

Hello,

I believe that using online recourses to keep your students engaged in the lesson are very useful when it comes to remote learning. Some recommendations of interactive websites that I have are Kahoot, Whiteboard fi, Jamboard, and JeopardyLabs. Other than using those online sources, I believe that having your students use standard household items to conduct a mini science experiment during class time, with an adult present, will engage them in the lesson as well.

Sebastian Benitez Sebastian Benitez 960 Points

Distance learning can be such a difficult thing to do, especially with Elementary students. As I've seen students do school from home, their motivation has gone down significantly. Some students do not seem motivated to do school from a screen, and that is completely understandable. As a teacher, I believe one of their main jobs is to keep their students motivated through distance learning. Without motivation, a student will not want to do their school work and their grades will most likely go down. By implementing resources such as Kahoot can keep a student motivated and eager to learn. 

Katie Weldy Katie Weldy 160 Points

Hi there, 

I would have to agree that implementing the resource of Kahoot into remote learning can be a great way to get students excited for learning/reviewing and for them to be engaged. I have seen this in the a third grade classroom of the students being engaged with kahoot. 

Brenna Egendoerfer Brenna Egendoerfer 410 Points

I think that hands on learning and having fun expirneces really stick with a child and help them learn more. Kahoot is an awesome resource to use. Children love competition so this is a fun and safe way to do so. Also, I think that virtual labs and expriements are very helpful to be hands on with out actually being completely hands on.

Bailey Dant Bailey Dant 435 Points

Hi! I personally believe that assigning some sort of scavanger hunt would be a great way to get students up, moving, and engaged. Even during such a hard time! You could give them a list of items to find and have them measure, predict, or use any science process skill to describe their item. Then they could upload their findings to a class discussion. 

Jennifer Hamm Jennifer Hamm 730 Points

Virutal field trips are a great way to get students engaged and learning when they are not able to go on a real field trip. There are many resources out there that offer virutal field trips that are filled with videos and activities that students can easily do from home. A resource my cooperating teacher uses in my field placement is called Discovery Education. I believe the school has to pay for it, but it is a great tool to get students engaged and she said her students always love when she pulls up a video from the website!

Nicole Adams Nicole Adams 450 Points

In college, we are being prepared to teach with a lot of virtual components in lesson plans of all subjects. My favorite way that I have found to get students participating and interacting online in an exciting way is through virtual museum tours. There are so many fun ones for zoos, aquariums, or even a Mars 360 tour with NASA  (https://accessmars.withgoogle.com/). Here are some others within science and other subject areas (https://www.purewow.com/family/virtual-museum-tours-for-kids). You can even schedule your time when some of the businesses offer live tours with tour guides to speak to your class!

Dale Dale Koryn Dale 60 Points

Hi there! I guess it would have to depend on the type of labs that you were wanting to do. For example, in my high school.. we did not get to dissect any animals. But, there was an online website that showed us how and where to dissect a frog. It was super interactive and fun. Plus, some people in my class did not want to actually do it, so this way they did not have to actually do it. It also had questions that you had to answer throughout it. Another website that students could use, is Buncee. This website allows for students to be as creative as they want. They can draw pictures, add photos, videos, links, stickers, gifs, etc. 

Kelcie Hale Kelcie Hale 230 Points

There are a lot of tech tools that can help with keeping students engaged while doing remote learning. Recently I just found a website called EdPuzzle and many more. This website is free and amazing!!

Paige Neff Paige Neff 730 Points

A tool that I have seen used with students is Mystery science. I think it is a great way to keep them engaged. It has so many topics to pick from!

Tony Valdez Tony Valdez 220 Points

I think that any interactive website would help bring interest to students. Maybe visit some that would give opportunities for students to learn and be engaged at the same time. Also, creating some fun quizzes from kahoot or other sites based on videos you could show the students on a topic could help as well.

Melissa Bell Melissa Bell 510 Points

With remote learning, I found it difficult to keep students engaged. For elementary grades, especially. I want to find new and creative ways to get students interested in the content and cultivate intrinsic motivation to learn about science and other subjects.

Melanie Lynch Melanie Lynch 440 Points

In my opinion, distance learning is as great as it is made to be. Although instruction is presented in a manner outside of the norm, it can still provide students with engaging activities that give them most of an in class experience. Distance learning does take a little creativity to maintain student attention for the allotted time they are in the session, but it is still possible to encourage academic growth and success through a virtual format. It would benefit teachers to have accessible resources such as applications and online materials that could be utilized by all students inside as well as outside of the classroom. However, I feel that a distance learning experience can be just as beneficial and successful as a classroom experience with positive implementation and creativity.

Melanie Lynch Melanie Lynch 440 Points

In my opinion, distance learning is as great as it is made to be. Although instruction is presented in a manner outside of the norm, it can still provide students with engaging activities that give them most of an in class experience. Distance learning does take a little creativity to maintain student attention for the allotted time they are in the session, but it is still possible to encourage academic growth and success through a virtual format. It would benefit teachers to have accessible resources such as applications and online materials that could be utilized by all students inside as well as outside of the classroom. However, I feel that a distance learning experience can be just as beneficial and successful as a classroom experience with positive implementation and creativity.

Marvel Jonas Marvel 10 Points

Hi Lianne! Remote teaching has its challenges, but I discovered an engaging resource that made my Clinical Experience II memorable. Blooket, a fantastic review game, added a dynamic touch to my third-grade science classroom. The students enthusiastically participated in games like Crazy Kingdom and Café, enhancing their understanding of science concepts. Whether creating custom sets or using existing ones, Blooket is a versatile platform. I highly recommend it to educators and students alike for its educational yet entertaining approach. Check it out here is an informational blog blooket:  It's a game-changer!

Annia Sanchez Annia 130 Points

How can we include hand-on activities in the subject of science during remote learning?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers